This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUALIFICATION FOR THE ROLL OF HONOR

Following the finish of Round 6 (the Final for T2), I can now update the tally:

Total number of participating members: 27
    Number of members currently qualifying for the ribbon: 14
    Method of award:
    Members' forum names to be listed under an image of the T2 ribbon; this list to be known as the Roll of Honor.
    At this point, these members are (listed alphabetically by name):
    • 101combatvet
    • Arthwys
    • BELGRAVE
    • Jose50
    • lcm1
    • Marmat
    • Merkava188
    • Nick the Noodle
    • panther3485
    • Persephone
    • Pruitt
    • slick24
    • Tsar
    • Vaeltaja

If any other participating* members wish to boost their total and qualify, it's STILL not too late.
    Just message me and I can point you in the right direction. I will keep this option open until 25 December (Christmas Day).
    Note* - This offer applies only to members who had already voted in at least one Round by the time of closure of the Final, which was 16 December 2018.

Note 2: There is a small handful of members who are not all that far from qualifying; and one in particular who is only one poll short of the required minimum. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you are one of those folks.
    I can advise you how to increase your score (but in a way that is not unfair to other members). If you are not sure of your particular situation, PM me and I can outline exactly what you'll need to do.

Best regards to all,

panther3485
    Last edited by panther3485; 17 Dec 18, 07:17.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• Well, I'd just like to say thank you P for all the hard work that you've done to bring this tournament to fruition and success. I suppose that the British ship of the line deserves its rightful place in history as the best there is for this time period. I'll raise a glass of Pusser's Rum (the 95 proof blue label) )to the 74 and her handlers and I'll look forward to a continuation of these tournaments in the future.
      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

• Thanks, my friend.

I definitely intend to go ahead with T3; covering the age of the Ironclads (mid 1800's thru early 1900's).

If participation in T3 is at least as good as we got in T2 (let's hope, better), then T4 - the age of the Dreadnoughts (from the early 1900's thru the end of WW2) - should be on the cards as well.

"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• Update:

My research for T3 continues as planned and the target date for this third Warships Tournament is still May/June 2019. Although the Internet is a rich source, I also like to get my hands on books that specialize in the subject matter. Below is from my most recent post in the "What are you currently reading?" thread:

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
          <snip> ... I had already started on British Battleships of the Victorian Era by Norman Friedman. I'm resuming that one.
          Next in the queue is Before the Battlecruiser - The Big Cruiser in the World's Navies 1865-1910, by Aidan Dodson.
          After that, I've got River Gunboats - An Illustrated Encyclopaedia by Roger Branfill-Cook.

All three are from Seaforth Publishing in the UK and of considerable substance. The first two in particular will take me some time to work through, based on maybe 30 minutes of reading time each night when I go to bed. (I find that half-an-hour or so of reading helps me get to sleep).
          Unlike the first two, the River Gunboats encyclopedia will not be a "read it all from cover to cover" job but is still an impressive work.

Of course, apart from the pleasure of learning while I read, this is also to help me prepare for the next Warships Tournament. I wasn't sure whether or not I should be including river gunboats at all until I read the information on the book's jacket, which gave a brief summary of just how much important work these vessels performed in the age of steam.

My aim is to have most if not all of my reading done by the end of March, so I can start collating the information and selecting potential candidates during April. I should be in the position to start putting pairings together during May. That's the plan, anyway.

In the meantime, the T-2 poll threads have been re-opened so that anyone who missed that tournament (or didn't vote in enough polls to qualify) and would like to have a go at it, now has the opportunity to do so. Of course, the T2 poll outcomes are already decided but at least this gives folks another chance at qualifying if they want to.

Any questions or concerns, please either post here or contact me by PM if you prefer.

Best to all,
          Paul
          Last edited by panther3485; 08 Mar 19, 04:12.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X