Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pleasure. Hope I've been able to encourage a few more folks to jump in.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• UPDATE:

As of late this evening, Friday 21 September (Western Australia time), 22 of the 32 Round 1 polls are now running.

I should be able to get at least 2 or 3 more up by Monday 24 September.
      If all goes well, the whole 32 could well be up by the following weekend.
      Regardless, whenever that has occurred I intend to allow at least one more week (so everyone has a fair chance at the entire 32) before progressing to the next round.

Once again, sincere apologies for the slow progress but with the very limited spare time I've got, I'm chipping steadily away at this until it's done.
      In one way at least, I think the long duration for Round 1 has not been all bad.
      I think it has helped a few more members to get on board than would have happened, if it had been up in one hit and closed after 1 or 2 weeks.

Kicking off all of the subsequent Rounds (2 thru 6) will be a heck of a lot quicker because all of the required material - both pictorial and written - will already be there.
      Also I think, by the time we are into Round 2, just about everyone who is going to join us should be on board.

Best regards to all,
      Paul
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• UPDATE #2:

As of a few minutes ago, I completed the 24th poll thread of Round 1 and it is now available for reading and voting.
        So today, we have pairing #s 32 - 55 inclusive up and running right here, right now. That's 3/4 done!

It means I only have to finish another 8, for the full 32 Round 1 polls to be available.
        As these were started off some time ago, with headings, pictures and the polls themselves in place, my hope is to have them finished by about next weekend. (I might even have the first of the remaining 8 done before I hit the sack tonight.)

Thanks again for being so patient; I know it has taken a very long time.
        I'll continue to do the best I can for my friends at ACG.
        As mentioned in my previous post, once the basic materials, texts, links etc are done for all 64 warship types, subsequent rounds should move a lot more quickly as I won't have to do much further work; beyond splitting, re-pairing and re-polling for each round.

Any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Best to all,
        Paul

Comment

• Hi Paul, having trouble getting past 54 and 55 ?? lcm1
          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
            Hi Paul, having trouble getting past 54 and 55 ?? lcm1
            Pairings 56 and 57 are now up.
            Only six more to go (58 - 63) and we'll have all 32 Round 1 polls running.

Comment

• UPDATE

OK, time to hit the sack as I'm approaching 1:50am Sunday morning here.
              Need to get some sleep, to keep myself beautiful! (cough, cough)

I've now completed and posted 29 out of the 32 poll threads required for Round 1.
              These have the pairing #'s 32-60 inclusive and the listing of them now almost fills 3 pages.

The remaining three are of course, paring #'s 61, 62 and 63.
              61 is around half done already.
              I reckon on being finished by about Monday 1 Oct.
              My intention will be to let the full Round 1 (that is, with all 32 polls) run for almost 2 weeks after that; so
              Round 2 should commence on the weekend 13-14 October.

At last count, I think we had 16 participants so far (not counting myself). Perhaps a few members are waiting until ALL 32 of the Round 1 polls are actually up?

More participants would of course be nice but I guess we'll see how we go with that. Whatever happens, I'm in this for keeps. Started it, so now I'll see it through to the finish.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.
              Last edited by panther3485; 29 Sep 18, 12:52.

Comment

• Round 1 of T2:
                ALL 32 poll threads are now open and running!

OK, it's Tuesday 2 October and at last, I can make the above announcement!
                I've apologized before and I'll do so again. Sorry it's taken me so long to get to this point.
                I've been doing my best but an unprecedented amount of serious "real life" issues have combined to greatly reduce my spare time. In a recent conversation with my wife, I told her I can't honestly remember a year in my life that's been as difficult or as challenging as 2018.
                Hopefully, the last 2 or 3 months of it can only get better.
                Anyway, enough of that.

I'm proposing to let T2 run until at least the weekend 13-14 October. This should give everyone - including those members who might only log in on an occasional basis - a fair opportunity to participate in all of the polls. I'm also hoping there might be a few members who were waiting for all of those 32 Round 1 polls to be ready before participating. Whether or not that's true, everyone who might want to have a go should get a reasonable chance.

As always, best regards to all!

Paul
                Last edited by panther3485; 02 Oct 18, 10:59.

Comment

• Notice:

Thank you to all the members who have shown an interest in the current Warships Tournament (T2).

Just in case one or two of you may not yet be aware or missed the earlier announcement, ALL 32 of the poll threads for Round 1 are up and running.
                  However, they are not all on a single page. They are spread across no less than 4 pages.
                  In the Warships Tournament, if you scroll down to the very bottom of your screen you will see the numbered tabs for each page. The polls are on pages 1, 2, 3 and 4.

On the other hand, if you are already aware of this but have simply lost track and can't remember exactly which polls you have and have not voted in, just message me and I can assist as I am keeping records as we go along.

Edit:
                  At the same time, of course, there is no obligation to participate in every single poll. Vote in as few or as many as you like; however, please be aware that a certain minimum level of participation will be required to "get" the ribbon (that is, have your name added to the Roll of Honor):

To be both fair and consistent, this will be the same as applied to T1. Therefore, members will need to have voted in no less than half the total number of polls across the 6 Rounds:
                  32+16+8+4+2+1 = 63 polls; so the minimum is set at 32.

Best regards,
                  Paul
                  Last edited by panther3485; 23 Oct 18, 09:46.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                    " ... there is no obligation to participate in every single poll. Vote in as few or as many as you like; however, please be aware that a certain minimum level of participation will be required to "get" the ribbon (that is, have your name added to the Roll of Honor). To be both fair and consistent, this will be the same as applied to T1. Therefore, members will need to have voted in no less than half the total number of polls across the 6 Rounds:

Best regards,
                    Paul
                    With regard to the above, a handful of members are already qualified for the T2 ribbon, having voted in all 32 polls of Round 1. Having said this, I do hope they continue to vote in successive rounds all the way to the Final of course.

A Round change-over announcement will now be posted in the "Campaign Introduction, Next Round & Next Tournament" thread stickied at the top near this one.

Edit: As of today, 20 members (including myself) have voted in Round 1 of T2.
                    This current opening round will now be running for one more week, so there is still a good bit of time for some more members to get into it if they wish.

Would be real nice to see at least a few more of you guys having a go.
                    Last edited by panther3485; 12 Oct 18, 09:51.

Comment

• Update:

We got quite a decent number of votes over the last weekend (13-14 October).
                      These were almost all from members who had already voted in some of the 32 Round 1 polls and went back to vote in more of them.
                      I'm thinking I might close Round 1 a day or so earlier than intended. Probably when I get home from work on Friday afternoon (my time in Western Australia).
                      Further information in the Campaign Introduction, "Next Round" & "Next Tournament" sticky thread.

Comment

• Am I caught up in the Campaign so far?

Comment

• Doing fine at this stage.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                            Notice:
                            " ... there is no obligation to participate in every single poll. Vote in as few or as many as you like; however, please be aware that a certain minimum level of participation will be required to "get" the ribbon (that is, have your name added to the Roll of Honor):

To be both fair and consistent, this will be the same as applied to T1. Therefore, members will need to have voted in no less than half the total number of polls across the 6 Rounds:
                            Hi everyone,

Regarding the above, I have decided to relax this rule slightly; but only for members who took the trouble to vote in ALL 6 rounds of T2.
                            If you are among those members who voted in all 6 rounds, the minimum participation to qualify for the Roll of Honor is 24 polls.
                            Otherwise, if you missed one or more rounds (i.e. you voted in 5 rounds or less), the minimum participation of 32 polls; that is, at least half the T2 total - equivalent to the requirement for T1 - will still apply.
                            The main reason for the concession is the fact that T2 had 6 Rounds, rather than the 5 Rounds of T1; and ran for quite a while longer as well. So, consistency over this longer time period - by having voted in every one of the 6 rounds - is being rewarded by a modest easing of stringency.

Should I go ahead with T3 and T4 (and I think I shall proceed with T3 at least), then the same levels of participation to qualify for the Roll of Honor, will apply.

Please see the following post for the status of eligible T2 participants up to this date.
                            Last edited by panther3485; 13 Dec 18, 02:08.

Comment

• QUALIFICATION FOR THE ROLL OF HONOR

No less than 26 members have so far voted in T2.

Yes, I know: At one time, this would have been regarded as a fairly dismal level of participation.
                              However, given the fall-off in membership numbers and overall participation since the forum change-over, it's not so bad, I guess.

Unfortunately however, slightly more than half of these 26 members have either voted in only a very small portion of the 63 polls (9 or less); or have voted in 10 or more polls but still not enough to qualify.
                              In fact, as things currently stand, only 12 members actually do qualify to have their names on the Roll of Honor for T2.

These members are (listed alphabetically by name):
                              • 101combatvet
                              • BELGRAVE
                              • Jose50
                              • lcm1
                              • Marmat
                              • Merkava188
                              • Nick the Noodle
                              • panther3485
                              • Persephone
                              • slick24
                              • Tsar
                              • Vaeltaja

If any other participating members wish to boost their total and qualify, it's NOT too late.
                              Just PM me (or ask here if you like) and I can point you in the right direction.

Best regards to all,
                              panther3485
                              Last edited by panther3485; 13 Dec 18, 02:30.

Comment

• WHAT NOW?

T2 has another 2 or 3 days to run but at this stage, as mentioned above out of 26 participants, I can at least see 12 members who were engaged enough to earn a place on the Roll of Honor (Ribbon to be displayed). I didn't say too much before this but I now feel that I should say where my "line in the sand" was:

If there had been less than 10 serious participants (that is, serious enough to qualify for the ribbon/roll of honor), I would flat-out refuse to run any more tournaments.

I knew well enough to expect a very considerable reduction in numbers, of course; and I was prepared for that. However, while one or two dozen participants is fairly dismal compared to previous expectations, serious participants numbering less than 10 could only have been considered as pathetic and not worth anyone's efforts, including my own.

So, with participant numbers being just above the minimum I set for myself at the beginning, work on T3 - covering the Age of the Ironclads - will now commence in earnest; with a planned launch date some time prior to June 2019 (hopefully).

If that works out good, then T4 - the age of the Dreadnoughts - commencing some time in the second half of the year, is certainly very possible.

Best regards to all,

Paul
                                Last edited by panther3485; 17 Dec 18, 07:12.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X