This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaign Introduction, "Next Round" & "Next Tournament" Announcements

Hi once again members, and a warm welcome to what I think is probably our very first "full-on" warships campaign.

This new campaign begins with #1 of at least 4 planned tournaments, which is the minimum number I think we'll need to cover all eras of the warship, from the ancient right up to World War 2.

There are 32 candidates starting in Round 1 of the tournament, pitted against each other in pairs.
    This will give us 5 rounds (32, 16, 8, 4 and 2 candidates respectively).
    I have no idea which two warship types will be facing off against each other by the time we get to the Final.

Please be aware that we are covering a very large swathe of human history with this first tournament; from Ancient to Medieval; over 2,000 years worth.
    This was just about inevitable, given that I wanted to cover these older periods and the relative dearth of truly different types that I could get reasonable information for.
    You will find that as we progress through later eras, there will be a greater variety of types and sub-types about which, also, information is much more plentiful.
    This will be especially true for the 19th and 20th Centuries. I have to say, I'm really looking forward to those periods.

This time around, I'm not insisting purely on most significant/influential as the basis for our assessment criteria.
    Essentially, you will be asked which of each pair of warship types had the most merit in your opinion.
    This can include significant/influential but also any other criteria for merit that each member deems appropriate.

It's possible you may experience a headache or two with some of the pairings, when trying to decide which of two types is of the greatest merit.
    This will be especially challenging when you end up assessing warship types from differing eras!
    I'll leave it up to each of you guys to decide exactly how you'll do that.
    Speaking for myself, I'll be trying to balance the merit of each type both for its own era and for any influence it may have had on subsequent eras.
    Bit of a juggling act, but there it is!

Through all of this, don't forget this whole campaign is supposed to be fun too. So it doesn't do to get too serious about any of it.
    If the going gets a tad heavy between the ears just relax, bump yourself down a gear or two and go with what feels right for you!

The intention is that there will be a ribbon for this Campaign; if not for each separate tournament. Still thinking about that.
    Of course, this depends on the award of ribbons still being available to us after our forum upgrade, which I hope and trust will be the case.

As usual, there will be a certain minimum requirement to earn the ribbon or ribbons.
    The exact level of participation required is still under discussion but the membership will be advised ASAP.
    Any appeals based on extenuating circumstances will be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis.
    In all such cases, the Staff decision will be final.

Enjoy!

Best to all,
    panther3485
    Last edited by panther3485; 03 Sep 17, 11:21.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Round 2 Begins!

Round 2 of the 1st Tournament has now begun!

Duration of Rounds
    Round 1 was open for 3 weeks.
    Rounds 2, 3, 4 and the Final are set at 2 weeks each.

If you happened to miss Round 1, don't worry; it's not too late!
    Full participation in all the remaining Rounds will get you across the line!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by panther3485; 03 Sep 17, 11:32.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

To all participating members, or those interested in participating.
      Please note the following and in particular, the 2nd quote:

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
      " ...
      As usual, there will be a certain minimum requirement to earn the ribbon or ribbons.
      The exact level of participation required is still under discussion but the membership will be advised ASAP.
      Any appeals based on extenuating circumstances will be considered strictly on a case-by-case basis.
      In all such cases, the Staff decision will be final.

As posted in this thread:
      http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=178885
      Post #9 dated 27 August:

To qualify for the Campaign award

Members will need to participate to the required minimum level in all of the Tournaments, or all of the Tournaments except one.
      In other words, you can't miss more than one Tournament.
      It is planned that there will be at least 4 Tournaments in this Warships Campaign.
      See below for required participation levels in each Tournament:

To qualify for a Tournament award

(1) Participate to the required minimum level, in all of the rounds or all rounds except 1 (that is, you are only allowed to miss 1 round max).
      (2) The required minimum level of participation is to vote in no less than half minus 1 of the polls in the tournament.
      For example, the current tournament - with 32 candidates - will have 31 polls (16+8+4+2+1). This means you must vote in at least 15 polls, across at least 4 of the 5 Rounds to qualify.
      Hint: You can get off to an excellent start here, by making sure of robust participation in the current Round 1, because it contains 16 of the 31 polls.
      However, if you happen to miss Round 1 altogether, it is still possible to catch up by voting in all 15 of the remaining polls.

Please note: It is yet to be decided whether the Tournament awards should simply be bars or other additions to the Campaign ribbon; or perhaps each Tournament should have a separate ribbon in its own right?
      (I intend to discuss this with the other Staff members before making that decision.
      Obviously, I'm also open to input from participating members on this question.
      Stay tuned. )

Best to all,
      panther3485
      Any questions, comments or concerns, please post here:
      http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=178885
      ...or, PM me.
      Last edited by panther3485; 16 Sep 17, 08:45.

Comment

Semi-Final of Tournament 1 Begins!

The Semi-Final of the 1st Tournament has now begun!

Duration of Rounds

Round 1 was open for 3 weeks.

Rounds 2 and 3 were open for 2 weeks each.

This Semi-Final (Round 4) and the Final are also set at 2 weeks each.

Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks to a all participants - Not sure how long for the Ribbon

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all participants for helping to make Tournament 1 of the Warships Campaign a success.

I am currently seeking assistance with designing and producing a ribbon for all eligible participants of T1.

Although I would ideally like to have the ribbon ready in the next week or two, it's not impossible that some weeks ...
          perhaps even a month or so, could pass before these efforts bear tangible fruit?

The main thing is, I am not yet sure how quickly I can get the necessary assistance organized and then made final with a ribbon we can actually like the look of.

Also, as I am planning for at least 4 Tournaments in this Campaign I would like the ribbons to have some sort of consistency to their appearance ...
          so they all look as if they are "part of a set", so to speak. Therefore, I'm asking you all to please be patient.

Any questions or concerns, please post them here:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...=178885&page=2
          Last edited by panther3485; 30 Oct 17, 10:02.

Comment

Update:

As most of you will already know, the matters raised in my previous post above were all addressed in a very satisfactory way.
            This was due in no small part to assistance from Dibble201Bty (Paul), who did some great work with ribbon design.
            Unfortunately as we also now know, the awarding of ribbons as such - in the manner we became accustomed to in the "old" ACG - is no longer available.
            However, it is my intention that at the end of T2 and the following tournaments I'm planning (T3 and T4), I will open a topic listing all members who have qualified for a ribbon.
            I intend to call it a "roll of honor" or something similar.
            Therefore, while we cannot have a ribbon showing against our avatar any more, the acknowledgement will still be there.
            I'm also considering the inclusion of all those who got the award for T1.
            I hope this idea meets with the approval of the members concerned.

Best to all,
            Paul

Comment

Couple of items to mention:

Following on from the post above, some time soon (i.e. within the next week or two if not over the next few days) I intend to put together the Roll of Honor for Round 1. I know it is already well behind us now but I think it's important to make sure that ALL of the rounds of our current Warships Campaign are covered in this way. Also, it will allow everyone to see what these Rolls of Honor will really look like; not only for all the rounds in this tournament but for any future tournaments I might put together.

My progress in finishing all the matches for the current Round 2 is slow but steady.
              It has proven much more difficult than I thought it would be, to predict exactly how long things will take but such is the way of my life at the moment. I have very little control over a number of random factors that require me to put aside the hobbies and interests of what would usually be my "free time". I get precious little of it, compared to the way things used to be.
              As I mentioned in the Questions, Comments and Concerns thread, I now have 12 of the 32 polls completed, in place and ready for you guys, my friends and fellow members, to read and to vote in. The remaining 20 have all been formatted, laid out and have the necessary headings and images in them. Basic information and text is being steadily added whenever I get the time. I want to maintain what I regard as an acceptable standard, which takes a bit longer still, but I'll continue to do the best I can. Come hell or ****ing high water, they WILL be done.
              The best part is that after Round 1 is completed and everyone who wants to vote in it has done so, putting together successive rounds will be much quicker as all the required images and text will be in place already.

Earlier today, I checked into the 12 polls running right now and so far, 8 members have voted already. That's not a bad start IMO, considering everything ACG and its members have been through in the last several months; and the fact that a good number of members have dropped out of the picture, so to speak (hope at least some of them will come back).
              It will be good to see how many more members get on board. At least a few more would be nice.

Best to all,
              Paul

Comment

T2 Round 1: ALL 32 poll threads are now open and ready to be voted in.
                (Details posted in the Questions, Comments and Concerns thread.)

Some time over the next several days - that is, between now and the coming weekend, I intend to create the previously promised (but delayed) thread to accommodate the Rolls of Honor for this Warships Campaign.
                I'll start by putting the first one into that new thread; that is, the Roll of Honor for T1.
                So, if you participated in T1 enough to earn either one of the two ribbons that were awarded for it, you'll see an enlarged image of that ribbon and your forum name below it.

Having the T1 Roll of Honor visible as soon as possible will also let you all see what the one for T2, and subsequent rounds, will look like. If the idea works well enough, my intention is to use it for all future campaigns. OK, not as good as having individual ribbons next to our personal avatars like we used to; but it's the best I can do.

Regards,
                Paul

Comment

T2: Closure of Round 1 and opening of Round 2

I intend to defer closure of Round 1 for almost one further week, so this will now occur weekend 20-21 October. However, the closing will occur part-way through that weekend so this weekend, 13-14 Oct, will almost certainly be the last full weekend for that opening Round.

If things go according to plan, Round 2 will open some time on Sunday 21 October (my time in Western Australia).
                  Bear in mind that due to differences in time zones around the World, my closure of one round and opening of the next will occur somewhat earlier in, say, the UK and quite a lot earlier (best part of a day) in the USA.

At least, that's my planned time-table.
                  Let's see if I can stick to it!

Comment

Update:

I now intend to close Round 1 when I get home from work this Friday afternoon (my time in Western Australia), October 19. For most of you guys, that will either be Thursday night or Friday morning, 18/19 Oct.
                    It doesn't look as if I'll get very many more votes, if any, over these final few days. Therefore, I've already worked out all the pairings for Round 2 based on the voting up to this moment.

This means we are on target for Round 2 to begin some time over the coming weekend 20/21 Oct.
                    Thanks to everyone who has participated so far. Not as many as I had hoped, of course. Nevertheless, still enough to make the effort worthwhile; with some good feedback from a few members:

Of the 20 participating members voting in Round 1, four have been what I'd call "token" voters; that is, they only voted in 1 or 2 of the 32 polls.
                    The remaining 16 have all participated well above this level and more than half of them voted in all, or nearly all, of the 32.

Hopefully, this degree of participation - or better - will continue through successive Rounds until the end.

I will post an announcement for the beginning of Round 2 as soon as it is ready.

Best to all,

Paul

Comment

All 32 poll threads for T2 Round 1 are now closed.
                      I intend to have the 16 polls for Round 2 up and running as soon as I can.
                      Hopefully, that will be before the end of this weekend (20-21 Oct).

Comment

Hi folks,

It's Sunday morning here and just before going to bed last night, I put together the first two pairings for Round 2.
                        Normally, I would create all 16 of these in a different location (one that is visible to a limited number of members) and not move them here to Armchair Attacks until the whole batch is ready.

As of right now, I have decided instead to transfer the polls here one or two at a time, shortly after they are created.
                        You can therefore expect the remaining 14 Round 2 polls to gradually appear in Armchair Attacks over the next 12-15 hours.
                        So, all 16 should be in place and open for everyone by the time I hit the sack tonight.

Best to all,

Paul

Comment

OK; that's the first 8 out of 16 for Round 2, ready to vote in.

Gonna take a couple or so hours "rest break" with some lunch, to watch a movie.
                          Will return and complete the remaining 8 a bit later today.
                          I'm well on track for time and should have no trouble finishing before I hit the ol' sackaroo tonight.

Hi folks,

It's Sunday morning here and just before going to bed last night, I put together the first two pairings for Round 2.
                          Normally, I would create all 16 of these in a different location (one that is visible to a limited number of members) and not move them here to Armchair Attacks until the whole batch is ready.

As of right now, I have decided instead to transfer the polls here one or two at a time, shortly after they are created.
                          You can therefore expect the remaining 14 Round 2 polls to gradually appear in Armchair Attacks over the next 12-15 hours.
                          So, all 16 should be in place and open for everyone by the time I hit the sack tonight.

Best to all,

Paul

Comment

OK, It's 11:10pm, Sunday evening (night?) my time in Western Australia.
                            I just posted the last two polls for Round 2. So they are now ALL ready to vote in and enjoy.

REMINDER: There are 16 polls this time. They have Prng (pairing) #'s 64 thru 79 in their headings and they cover pages 1 and 2 at the bottom of your screen. (If anyone wants to check out the 32 polls in T1, they are still there and they now span pages 2 thru 5)

I double & then triple checked everything so I don't think there should be any major errors anywhere. It was mostly a copy and paste from the T1 polls, with new headings and some minor changes here and there. I do have a small number of alternative images but I decided to save them for Round 3.

BTW, it is my intention to keep Round 2 open for at least two weeks.
                            This is partly because some members are not checking into ACG as often as they used to; as well as my wanting to give everyone a reasonable chance.

If anyone has just stumbled on Round 2 and is concerned about having missed Round 1, please contact me and I'll see what can be done.
                            I'd like everyone to have a decent opportunity not only to get their name on the Roll of Honor for T2 but also, to be in a position to earn the special award for completing all four (planned) Tournaments of this Campaign.
                            If anyone has any questions or concerns, please contact me.

Time to hit the sack soon.
                            Best regards to all you wonderful folks out there,

Paul
                            Last edited by panther3485; 21 Oct 18, 11:31.

Comment

thanks for the hard work

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X