X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panther3485
    replied
    One additional observation:

The last 2 - 3 rounds were, noticeably, very much "British dominated" in our polling for T3. To some extent at least, this is not too much of a surprise; given that Britain was, by a substantial margin, the World's greatest sea power during most if not all of the period in question.

However, I expect T4 to be a quite different ballgame!

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied

RIBBON CREDITS

At this stage, the following 13 members already qualify for the T3 Ribbon:

• Arthwys
    • Jose50
    • lcm1
    • marktwain
    • Marmat
    • Merkava188
    • Mountain Man
    • Nick the Noodle
    • panther3485
    • Persephone
    • slick24
    • Slug
    • Tsar

There are two more who approach having enough votes.
    If you think you are one of them and you wish to be included, please contact me or post here.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    OK guys, T3 is now officially closed, as such.

I declare the tournament winner to be:

Candidate #112, King Edward VII Class.

All up, 26 members participated; with 15 of those voting in enough (or nearly enough) of the 63 polls, to earn the ribbon.
    Thanks to all who supported/participated, to whatever extent. Every bit helps!

So far as I am concerned, T4 should definitely go ahead.
    Given that this will cover the era of the Dreadnoughts (c1906 - 1946), and obviously includes warships of both World Wars, I am optimistic that we'll see even better participation.

The following post will list those members who now qualify for the T3 ribbon.

Best regards, to all,
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied

FINAL!!!!!

Round 6 - the final for T3 - is now open!!!
    Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Warships Campaign - T3 update:

Round 5, the Semi-Final, is now open!

Most of the regularly participating members have already voted in Round 4 (and the other preceding rounds).

However, anyone who wanted to vote in preceding rounds but has not yet done so, still can. Although these rounds are closed to posting of comments, members can still cast votes if they wish.
    Obviously, late votes won't affect round outcomes but they will count towards eligibility for the ribbon.

Hope you guys have been enjoying this.
    Speaking for myself, I'm already thinking about T4, for the New Year.

Best regards to all,
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Thanks.

I can easily make it this weekend (i.e. within the next 24 hours or so); but some of the folks who voted in previous rounds haven't voted in this quarter-final yet.
    Those folks CAN still vote after round closure. They just can't make comments.

However, another possibility is to leave the current round open and kick off the semi-final (Round 5) anyway!
    Having the quarter and semi-finals running side-by-side doesn't look as if it would be a problem?
    We could do the same with the final, a week after that. Keep the eager beavers happy, along with the dabblers, the procrastinators and the extremely busy!

T4 is planned for the New Year (I'm already doing the reading; but no realistic chance of kick-off during what's left of this year), so we have plenty of time.

What do you think?

Edit: OK, decided to keep it simple but most of us are ready for the semi-final. See below.
    Last edited by panther3485; 17 Nov 19, 20:32.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Outstanding work, as always Panther!

Is there a tentative date for Round 5?

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied

Round 4, the Quarter-FInal, is now open.
    This will decide which four ships make it to the Semi-Final!

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Reminder note to members:

As mentioned in post #76 above, IF you wanted to vote in either of the previous T3 rounds (Rounds 1 and 2), but inadvertently missed all or even some of them for whatever reason, you SHOULD be able to "catch up" with your total votes tally, if need be.

Although those two rounds are now closed for the purpose of posting comments or deciding poll outcomes as such, I did not set closing dates for any of the polls themselves; so I think it is still possible to vote in them if anyone wants to.
    This will help if members want to make sure they have voted in enough polls to qualify for listing on the Roll of Honor, with their forum name under the ribbon.

Any questions or concerns, please holler.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied

Round 3 is now open! Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    OK guys, Round 2 has been open for a couple of weeks now.
    Where I sit, it's just after midnight, Sunday 28/Monday 29 Oct and I've cast my own votes.
    I'll finalize this round during the coming day (Monday 29 Oct) and launch Round 3 later the same day.
    If anyone who wants to vote in Round 2 still hasn't done so, they have some hours left before closure.

Note: I think it is still possible to vote in a round after closure as I haven't set expiry dates on the polls. However, while late votes WILL count towards your participation, they obviously will not affect poll outcomes once the following round has been set up and started.

I'm leaning towards letting Round 3 run for roughly 2 weeks also, with the change-over to Round 4 taking place weekend 9-10 Nov. After that, the option of 1-week rounds might be considered? We'll see how we go but we should certainly be running the final round before Christmas.

Regards, to all and thanks for your indulgence thus far,
    Paul.

PS: Already commenced reading in preparation for T4.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
    Round 3 from the look of things covers the Napoleonic wars to WW1 will round 4 cover WW2?
    Hi Merkava188,

This particular tournament we are voting in right now - T3 - covers the period from the 1850's up to 1906.

Our next tournament - T4 - will cover 1906 to 1946 (that is, from the advent of the Dreadnought to just after the end of WW2). This obviously will include both World Wars; so, for many of us perhaps, a rather more interesting period - in terms of naval engagements - than the one we are in right now.
    I did have ambitions to get T4 up and running this year also; but considerable delays have occurred already, due to my unexpectedly extra busy real-life commitments. It is therefore more realistic to expect T4 during the first quarter of 2020.
    However, I intend to start research and background work during the closing months of this year, so as to be ready as soon as I can.

Thanks for your interest and participation so far.
    I hope you enjoy seeing the current T3 thru to its conclusion.

Leave a comment:

• Merkava188
    replied
    Round 3 from the look of things covers the Napoleonic wars to WW1 will round 4 cover WW2?

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Warships Campaign, T3: Round 1 closed.
    Round 2 now open.

Enjoy!

The intention is for this round to run for 2 weeks, so everyone who wants to participate has a reasonable chance to do so.
    Successive rounds CAN run for 2 weeks also, or be reduced to 1 week each.
    At this stage, T4 (from Dreadnought to the end of WW2) may not
    kick off until early 2020; so we DO have plenty of time available to run T3 at a nice relaxed pace.

Comments/opinions are invited.

As usual, best to everyone.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Persephone
    replied
    Paul,

We appreciate the personal time you've invested in this.
    No need to apologize if RL cause any delays.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X