This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
    " ... The aim is to be ready by about the end of April ... give or take a week ... in other words, roughly a one month delay.

I've already compiled a preliminary list of potential candidates (warship types from 1906 to 1946); totaling rather more than the 64 required. If anyone is interested in making suggestions regarding the necessary cull - or perhaps even, spotting a glaring omission for a warship type I should have listed but have overlooked - please pipe up and I can post my current list for your perusal and feedback.
    OK guys, been busier than expected over the last couple of weeks but time wise for T4, I still reckon I shouldn't be too far off my forecast date for commencement. I'm thinking, probably no more than one extra week's delay.
    Anyway, over the last couple of days especially, I've been doing further research on the warships themselves.

On my current working list, I have a total of 95 warship types or "classes" representing the following nations/entities:

Austria/Hungary - 3
    Britain - 25
    Germany - 14
    France - 5
    Italy - 8
    Japan - 13
    USA - 23
    Russia - 3
    Spain - 1

(More than half of these are battleships; the remainder being battlecruisers and heavy cruisers.)

The goal of course, is to reduce that to 64 types and this will be my next main step.
    Once decided, it's then just a matter of gathering all the info & images and then doing the write-ups before putting the whole thing together.

If anyone thinks they would like to help by suggesting which types should be culled and which should stay, please sing out and I'll show you the list. I think the numbers from each nation are at least roughly right/appropriate; given the relative size and importance of each nation's navy (excluding aircraft carriers) over this 50 year period? I'd like to at least approximately maintain those proportions; allowing for small adjustments, of course.

Best to all of you,

Paul
    Last edited by panther3485; 14 Apr 20, 10:59.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Progress Update

These are the numbers I've decided we should have, for candidates from each of the respective nations/powers:

Austria/Hungary - 2
      Britain - 15
      Germany - 10
      France - 4
      Italy - 5
      Japan - 10
      USA - 15
      Russia - 2
      Spain - 1

Still working on my research, to determine which of 80 types/combinations currently being considered should make it into the 64. Culling will involve mainly the removal of cruisers, heavy cruisers or "battlecruisers", rather than battleships as such.

Compared to previous tournaments, I've re-organized my thinking on the criteria for this starting selection. Here are the five main criteria I've considered applying:

out of 10 out of 10 out of 10 out of 10 out of 10 out of 50
      Significance or impact for warship design Measure-up to other nations' equivalents Area covered & active extent / importance of influence Duration of service* Fame and/or iconic status TOTAL
      *1 point for each 5 years of service

Note: These are purely to help me weed out the "weaker" contenders to arrive at the final 64 for our initial line-up. They are not necessarily for use during the tournament itself; although members are of course welcome to consider these factors - along with any others they deem appropriate - when the tournament is running.

If anyone thinks I've missed something important, or could do better with the balance of criteria, I'm happy to consider suggestions.

Best to all,
      Paul
      Last edited by panther3485; 20 Apr 20, 10:47.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Might consider duration of service carefully. A great ship can be knocked out before building up a lot of service, and a relatively mediocre ship can somehow survive.

We worship the Arizona, for example, but it, along with other battleships of equal quality, were sunk at anchor. Harder to rate that kind of stuff, is all I'm trying to say.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Might consider duration of service carefully. A great ship can be knocked out before building up a lot of service, and a relatively mediocre ship can somehow survive.

We worship the Arizona, for example, but it, along with other battleships of equal quality, were sunk at anchor. Harder to rate that kind of stuff, is all I'm trying to say.
          Thanks. Yes, good point and that's perfectly true.
          In the short time since I posted that, I also thought of quantity.
          For example, if there were four, five or six ships of class X in service, compared to - say - two of another, broadly comparable class Y.

Good to bring these ideas up now, rather than leave it until "after the fact", so to speak.

What you've mentioned also prompts me to think again, regarding my idea of combining classes in a few cases. Potentially, if two classes of ship from a particular nation were physically VERY similar (same basic design & layout, same armament etc) and served at the same time, they could be combined as a single candidate. I've already made such combinations in my listing. Obviously, though, that also increases the numbers in these cases and numbers are important too.

Got another 2 - 3 weeks to mull these ideas over.
          Last edited by panther3485; 20 Apr 20, 19:24.

Comment

T4 Progress update:

Finished my culling, so I now have 64 candidates as a preliminary line-up. Naturally, there is still time for a few last-minute changes if needed.
            I've retained some combinations, so - for the first (and final) time in this series of tournaments - a number of candidates comprise more than one class.

Some key criteria for combining classes within any nation's navy are:

(1) Same basic overall design & general layout
            (2) Same caliber & type of primary armament
            (3) Same layout of primary armament
            (4) Same or similar displacement
            (5) Same or similar overall dimensions & proportions
            (6) Same or similar armor arrangement
            (7) Same or similar speed & handling characteristics
            (8) Service must have been either concurrent or overlapping to a substantial degree

This evening, I'll review all my listed combos in greater depth, to ensure they comply with those points.
            I can dissolve any combination IF sufficient dissimilarity between combined classes is discovered.
            If I dissolve a combination, the "stronger" candidate will be retained for contest.

Following this evening's activity, starting the next day I'll get down to closer study of our candidates and "flesh out" a reasonable array of images for each.

After that, it'll be a case of selecting/editing images, doing the write-ups for each type, etc etc.
            So there's a way to go yet.

Any questions (or further details wanted), feel free to ask.
            I won't give away too much, though.
            Gotta keep some surprises for the launch.

Best to all,
            Paul

Comment

OK, following the above and without giving away the entire list of 64 candidates, these are the current combinations of classes/types on my list, with the resulting combined number of ships in service shown in brackets:

Britain - 4: Neptune & Colossus (3 ships); Orion & King George V (8 ships); Invincible & Indefatigable (6 ships); Lion & Queen Mary (3 ships)

Germany - 1: Moltke & Seydlitz (3 ships)

Italy - 1: Conte di Cavour & Caio Duilio / Andrea Doria (5 ships)

Japan - 1: Myoko & Takao (8 ships)

USA - 3: Delaware & Florida (4 ships); New Mexico & Tennessee (5 ships); Baltimore & Oregon City (17 ships)

Russia – 1: Gangut & Imperatritsa Mariya (7 ships)

I've already made a decent start on reading and have commenced with the gathering of images, both of which will continue for the next several days.
              Then, it's mainly image selection/editing; some of which involves scanning but mostly web uploads, followed by the write-ups for each of the 64 classes/types and then figuring out the 32 Round 1 pairings.
              After that, of course, throwing the 32 Round 1 polls together and posting them.

At this stage, considering all my current commitments, I would cautiously estimate readiness to launch weekend 9-10 May; or failing that 16-17 May at latest.

Best to all,
              P

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                <snip> ... I would cautiously estimate readiness to launch weekend 9-10 May; or failing that 16-17 May at latest. ...
                By now, I'm glad I said "cautiously estimate" because - while I have certainly made some good progress with T4 - unexpected additional work needed doing in other areas. This was mainly repairs and upkeep around the outside of my home to take advantage of good weather while it lasted (winter approaching here), and I didn't take that properly into account in my time estimate. OK, I underestimated it.

On top of this, thanks to CV, my wife and I have also been getting home visits from friends and family stretched out over longer periods. First, we had Mother's Day on May 10, which took out pretty much the entire day instead of a few hours. We also have a family birthday right now and instead of just a few hours out of one day, it's being spread out over three days, May 14 to 16, with friends and relatives visiting in ones and twos over that time.

Nevertheless, I've squeezed in as much of the T4 preparation as I could, whenever I could.
                I've gathered nearly all the images I need (in many cases, and some) for most of the 64 warship types and should have filled the few remaining gaps before this coming weekend (16-17 May) is thru, visitors or not. After that of course, it's a case of image selection & editing; doing the research & write-ups for the 32 pairings of Round 1 (which is the most time-consuming part); and then putting the Round 1 polls together in ACG for the launch.

So, what's the revised estimate for readiness to launch?
                I'd love to say weekend 23-24 May; but this time I'll be more cautious and say, "no later than 30-31 May". If I make 23-24, so much the better .. we'll see .. but either way I'm determined to have this running before the end of May!

Thanks to all who might wish to participate, for your patience this far.
                It won't be much longer now.

Last edited by panther3485; 14 May 20, 12:40.

Comment

Take your time. Everyone is under house arrest anyway.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Thanks.
                    I've cut myself a bit more slack this time, so should be OK by the end of May.

A heck of a lot happened in this half century we are covering next. Two World Wars for a start; and (relative to our previous eras) faster technological progress over a relatively short time.
                    We have 9 nations in the contest. Bearing in mind that we have only 64 slots, the number of candidates for each nation is adjusted to approximately reflect their relative importance - in the global context - as a naval power over the course of this specific period. For example, along with the USA both Germany and Japan were on the ascendant; but the latter two (arguably) never to the point of being able to seriously challenge either the US or Britain in a prolonged conflict; despite a few isolated victories.

Anyway, these are the nations to be covered and the number of slots they've been given:
                    • Austria-Hungary - 2
                    • Britain - 15 (6)
                    • France - 4
                    • Germany - 10 (4)
                    • Italy - 5 (2)
                    • Japan - 10 (4)
                    • Russia - 2
                    • Spain - 1
                    • USA - 15 (5)
                    For some nations - mainly the larger ones - I have included heavy cruisers and/or battle-cruisers in the mix, as they frequently were compelled to fill the role of battleship. As you might guess, these are the numbers shown in brackets.
                    Last edited by panther3485; 15 May 20, 22:06.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Take your time. Everyone is under house arrest anyway.
                      Looks like I'm gonna need a bit more time now regardless; and despite my strong desire to do so, I won't be able to launch by the last weekend in May after all. An "out-of-the-blue" escalation of real-life (read, family) requirements was the main factor but enough of the excuses.

Nevertheless, further significant progress has been made. Image gathering was completed to my satisfaction, for a start. That was more of a challenge for some candidates than for others, as you might guess.

To a greater extent than I found necessary for T3, I then spent significant chunks of time juggling things around in a variety of configurations, to get to the point where I was able to be at least passably happy with the 32 pairings for Round 1. Given that the candidates consist of both (a) battleships and (b) battle-cruisers / heavy cruisers, I decided to set things up so that as far as possible, battleships will be paired against other battleships; ditto with the big cruisers; throughout each successive round of the tournament. As a result, although pairings of battleship vs big cruiser can't be avoided completely, they will be relatively few.

What I have in front of me now, starting tonight, are the write-ups for each of the 64 candidates (the most time consuming of the remaining tasks); followed by image selection from the pool I've gathered; editing/re-sizing of those images; and finally the construction of the 32 poll threads themselves on the ACG site. This remaining work would become a "panic rush job" if I insisted on trying to be ready by the coming weekend as previously promised; so I think it's sensible to push it back another week.

That should make our amended launch date weekend 6-7 June.
                      My thanks to yourself, and any other members who might be interested, for being patient about this.

Best regards,
                      P
                      Last edited by panther3485; 28 May 20, 02:47.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X