Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully, the notification of the actual start will go more smoothly this time.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Looking forward to it!
      BoRG
      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Update, Friday 28 June:

Hi guys,

In the effort to ensure I don't miss any really important warship types or variants, I've expanded my research over the last few weeks. This has included a closer and more detailed look at online sources, along with the few extra books acquired in recent months, to supplement and enhance the research already done. As we might expect, the sheer volume of information for this period (mid 1800's thru 1st decade 1900's) is plentiful; especially when compared to what was available for T2; and vastly more that I could have dreamed of for T1.

The effort has been most beneficial but as a result, I now have data and internet links for no less than 154 warship "types" or variants (comprising a mixture of classes and individual ships), covering 17 nations, on an Excel spreadsheet.
        Obviously, running a tournament with 64 candidates means I now need to "lose" no less than 90 types/variants. However, before I start culling I need to consider how important each nation was - in naval terms - and apportion the available slots accordingly. The criteria should, I believe, include but would not be restricted to, broad application of the following:

(A) The quality, significance and influence of each nation's warship designs during this period.

(B) The size, power, quality, commitments and influence of each nation's navy during this period.

(C) Impacts on future warship developments; especially in the period to be covered by the following tournament, T4 (Early 1900's thru end of WW2).

OK, so bearing the above in mind, I'm not yet certain but this is how I am presently thinking I might apportion the 64 slots:
        • Britain - 9
        • USA (including both Union & Confederate during ACW) - 9
        • Russia - 7*
        • France - 6
        • Germany - 6
        • Japan - 5
        • Austria/Hungary - 4
        • Italy - 4
        • Spain - 4
        • Netherlands - 2
        • Ottoman/Turkey - 2
        • Argentina - 1
        • Brazil - 1
        • Chile - 1
        • China - 1
        • Denmark - 1
        • Portugal - 1
        (*Not sure.)
        What do you guys think?

When the number of slots per nation has been decided, the next set of decisions is which types to cull and which to keep.
        Once that is done, I can really get stuck into the writing up, editing of pics etc & putting together the first 32 pairings for Round 1.
        Last edited by panther3485; 28 Jun 19, 11:36.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Looks good to me. Thanks for all the hard work on these campaigns.

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Thanks.
            Doing some culling each day. Naturally, this involves further comparative research to make my decisions as to which ships get dropped and which are kept.
            So far, I've completed my selections for Argentina, Austria-Hungary, Brazil, Britain and Chile.
            Argentina, Brazil and Chile were all relatively quick and easy, with small numbers to choose from.
            Austria-Hungary took substantially longer and Britain was huge.
            I'm retaining one or two extras for the larger navies in case I change my mind and want to make a few last-minute switches here and there.

Once all the selections are decided, I can then go in-depth with each of the 64 types plus the few "in reserve". After that, it's a case of selecting/editing suitable images and adding the accompanying data & written compositions. Finally, I can then decide on the pairings and set up the 32 polls for Round 1.

I think I'll be very happy once I've got there.
            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

OK guys, 14 days since my last post. Time for a progress update, I reckon.
              Over those two weeks, I've been checking mainly online sources with occasional reference to my books.
              (The books will be more useful during the next stage of preparation.) I got a lot more of the groundwork done!
              Anyway, I added a couple more ship types to my starting line; so had to cull 156 types, serving 17 different seafaring nations, down to 64. That culling is just about complete now.

A vital question, IMO, was how many ship types should I include for each nation?
              For example, to make things easier I could have left out one of the 17 nations, giving me 16, then selected the "best 4 types" for each one. To my mind, however, this is not appropriate due to some widely varying factors. For example:
              1. These nations varied greatly in their power and influence; both locally and globally.
              2. Some of the nations were more leaders in design, than followers. Others, the reverse.
              3. Some nations designed and built far more types and often in much larger numbers, impacting on influence.
              4. Some nations built few or no ships of their own during this period, while others were not only building ships in very large numbers for their own use but also building them for other countries.
              5. Some nations were "on the way up" in terms of their naval power & influence (that is, growing stronger) while others were "on the way down"; and yet others relatively stable in their current situation, over this specific period.
              6. Sheer naval quality and power, overall. This takes into account not just the ships and the size of the forces but also other factors; such as crew training/morale; strategy & tactics; as well as logistics, maintenance/repair and other support variables.
              With those and other factors in mind, this is how I have distributed my 64 "slots":
              • Britain - 10
              • France and USA - 8 each
              • Russia - 7
              • Germany and Italy - 5 each
              • Austria/Hungary and Japan - 4 each
              • Spain - 3
              • Netherlands and Ottoman/Turkey - 2 each
              • Argentina, Brazil, Chile, China, Denmark and Portugal - 1 each
              Bearing in mind the era I am covering here - mid 1800's to very early 1900's (1906 is the cut-off), please pipe up if you think I have missed an important nation.

In the meantime, from this point I will be going in-depth with each of my 64 ships and boats (plus a small number in reserve); gathering and editing images, assembling key data to a consistent layout, and starting on my write-ups for each type.
              Once that is completed, it's a case of working out the 32 pairings for Round 1.
              At my current rate of progress with the time usually available, I think I will almost certainly be past the end of July before this is all done. However, an August launch does seem, realistically, very well within reach now.
              This is two or three months later than I would have liked, but there it is.

Best to all,
              Paul
              Last edited by panther3485; 18 Jul 19, 11:41.

Comment

BoRG

Comment

So...when are we starting?
                  ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                  IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                    So...when are we starting?
                    Thanks for the question. I would post an update by the end of this month anyway but since we are almost there:

Short answer first: I am still aiming for a launch no later than the end of August, that is, starting on Saturday August 31. If I progress better than that, it could even be Saturday 24 Aug; but I don't want to promise that. So, 31 Aug it looks like being unless I surprise myself.

Anyway, I've gathered about as many images as I can get from the internet. A few of the ships I chose at the beginning have been very difficult to find even half decent images for; which kinda surprised me a little compared to T2. In a few cases, I was pretty much forced to make alternative choices just to get half-passable photos or pictures; so image quality will be highly variable but I have at least two now, for each type.
                    As of yesterday evening, I had started editing the images sourced online. I also intend soon, to scan some supplementary images out of my books and edit those.

Once all of that is done, it's a case of doing the write-ups, which is probably the second most time-consuming task. Then I'll be working out the pairings and creating the 32 polls for Round 1.

Can post a list of the 64 types if anyone is really interested.
                    Last edited by panther3485; 28 Jul 19, 18:50.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post

Thanks for the question. 32 polls for Round 1.

Can post a list of the 64 types if anyone is really interested.
                      That would be great! It would be a good start for some research on the players end.
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

OK, here's the list (copied off my spreadsheet).

Please note that it is still subject to "last-minute" change.
                        During my preparations for T1 and T2, I recall making a few very late "swap-outs" during the final week before launch because I wasn't completely happy for one reason or another. Occasionally this was due to a change of mind but more often, dissatisfaction with the images or information available. Unless something unexpected develops, T3 should be the same. Therefore, I wouldn't anticipate any more than a handful of changes at most, so if anyone wants to check out these 64 they can be pretty sure that about 60 of them, at least, should be in the final line-up:

Cand. # Nation/Group Name (& class if applicable) Year of Intro Qty blt
                        97 Argentina Libertad & Independencia 1892 2
                        98 Austria/Hungary Kaiser 1859 1
                        99 Austria/Hungary Drache class 1862 2
                        100 Austria/Hungary Monarch class 1895 3
                        101 Austria/Hungary Habsburg class 1900 3
                        102 Brazil Brasil 1865 1
                        103 Britain Warrior class 1861 2
                        104 Britain Devastation class 1873 2
                        105 Britain Admiral class 1887 6
                        106 Britain Royal Sovereign class 1892 8
                        107 Britain Renown 1897 1
                        108 Britain Majestic class 1895 9
                        109 Britain Canopus class 1899 6
                        110 Britain Formidable class & London class 1901 8
                        111 Britain Duncan class 1903 6
                        112 Britain King Edward VII class 1905 8
                        113 Chile Capitan Prat 1893 1
                        114 China Dingyuan class 1883 2
                        115 Denmark Rolf Krake 1863 1
                        116 France Napoleon class 1852 9
                        117 France Gloire class 1860 3
                        118 France Provence class 1863 10
                        119 France Ocean class 1870 3
                        120 France Redoubtable 1879 1
                        121 France Amiral Baudin class 1884 2
                        122 France Brennus 1896 1
                        123 France Charlemagne class 1897 3
                        124 Germany Preussen class 1876 3
                        125 Germany Siegfried class & Odin class 1890 8
                        126 Germany Brandenburg class 1893 4
                        127 Germany Kaiser Friedrich III class 1898 5
                        128 Germany Braunschweig class 1904 5
                        129 Italy Regina Maria Pia class 1864 4
                        130 Italy Caio Duilio class 1880 2
                        131 Italy Italia class 1885 2
                        132 Italy Re Umberto class 1893 3
                        133 Italy Guiseppe Garibaldi class 1896 3
                        134 Japan Fuji class 1897 2
                        135 Japan Asama & Izumo classes 1899 4
                        136 Japan Shikishima class & Asahi 1900 3
                        137 Japan Mikasa 1902 1
                        138 Netherlands Koning der Nederlanden 1877 1
                        139 Netherlands Koningin Regentes class 1902 3
                        140 Ottoman/Turkey Asar-I Tevfik (God's Favor) 1865 1
                        141 Ottoman/Turkey Mesudiye 1876 1
                        142 Portugal Vasco de Gama 1878 1
                        143 Russia Uragan class 1865 10
                        144 Russia Ekatarina II class 1889 4
                        145 Russia Imperator Aleksandr II class 1891 2
                        146 Russia Navarin & Tri Sviatitelia 1896 2
                        147 Russia Petropavlovsk/Poltava class 1899 3
                        148 Russia Peresvet class 1901 3
                        149 Russia Tsesarevich & Borodino class 1903 6
                        150 Spain Puigcerda 1875 1
                        151 Spain Pelayo 1888 1
                        152 Spain Infanta Maria Teresa class 1893 3
                        153 USA CSS Manassas (Confederacy) 1861 1
                        154 USA City class (Union) 1862 7
                        155 USA CSS Virginia (Confederacy) 1862 1
                        156 USA USS Monitor (Union) 1862 1
                        157 USA Indiana class 1895 3
                        158 USA USS Iowa 1897 1
                        159 USA Maine class 1902 3
                        160 USA Virginia class 1906 5
                        Last edited by panther3485; 01 Aug 19, 22:56.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                          <snip> ... still aiming for a launch no later than the end of August, that is, starting on Saturday August 31. If I progress better than that, it could even be Saturday 24 Aug; but I don't want to promise that. So, 31 Aug it looks like being unless I surprise myself.

Anyway, I've gathered about as many images as I can get from the internet. A few of the ships I chose at the beginning have been very difficult to find even half decent images for; which kinda surprised me a little compared to T2. In a few cases, I was pretty much forced to make alternative choices just to get half-passable photos or pictures; so image quality will be highly variable but I have at least two now, for each type.
                          As of yesterday evening, I had started editing the images sourced online. I also intend soon, to scan some supplementary images out of my books and edit those.

Once all of that is done, it's a case of doing the write-ups, which is probably the second most time-consuming task. Then I'll be working out the pairings and creating the 32 polls for Round 1. <snip>
                          Now done:
                          • A few ship types swapped out or combined; a few different ones swapped in.
                          • Images finalized/re-sized etc, for each type.
                          • All 32 pairings for Round 1 worked out and tabulated.
                          • Introduction completed.

Still to do:
                          • Conclude research, draft/copy and type up written info for each of the 64 types.
                          • Construction/layout of the 32 polls together with headings, text and images.

Estimate (based on current rate of progress):

Still on track for August 31 launch. Small chance of being earlier. Unlikely to be later.

Regards,
                          Paul

Comment

BoRG

Comment

Update: Very close now.
                              Been some minor delays and no small number of complications.
                              Nevertheless, I should be able to kick off T3 within 24 hours of this post.
                              (I just have to remember how I did it all, being the better part of a year now since I kicked off T2.)
                              However, looks like a 1 or 2 Sep start now, instead of 30 or 31 Aug.
                              (Will explain more fully after the first batch is up and running, if anyone is interested.)

Best to all and thanks for being so patient.
                              Paul

Edit: It was Father's Day today (Sunday 1 September) and my wife, kids and grand-kids insisted on being with me for much of the day and taking me out to dinner this evening. My own Dad joined us. So I didn't get too much else done.

Regardless, I already have 16 pairings for Round 1 all written up, images sorted out and ready to be set up at ACG. I intend to do that tomorrow (2 Sep) after getting home from work.
                              I'll also have to re-familiarize myself with how to do the whole thing but I don't anticipate too much of a problem there. (If I run into any, I'll holler for help.)

As with T2, I'll be setting them up in the 5 Star SpecOps sub-forum. When they are fully assembled and ready to go, with
                              any last-minute adjustments that might be needed having been made, I'll transfer them to Armchair Attacks. When they have appeared in Armchair Attacks, I'll announce the fact here.
                              I know some of you guys have access to 5 Star SpecOps but please do not vote or comment on any of the pairings until I have moved them to Armchair Attacks.

It won't be long now.

Thanks and best regards,
                              Paul

Last edited by panther3485; 01 Sep 19, 11:34.

Comment

OK guys, got home from work late this afternoon and as soon as I could afterwards, I set up one of the first 16 pairings mentioned above. (This was is in the 5 Star SpecOps sub-forum, also as mentioned above.)

My guess - that it would take me a while to remember how to do these (a) effectively, without messing anything up and (b) looking exactly as I want them to look - turned out to be very correct. I was fiddling and farting around with it for quite a long time until I got to the point where I was totally happy with it.
                                That prolonged activity and mental concentration, combined with other non-related things this evening, has made me quite tired.
                                I've decided to upload the other 15 tomorrow afternoon when I'm fresh. Should be OK now I've got the pattern right.

Also, keep in mind that this current batch of 16 is only the first half of Round 1.
                                Between Wednesday 4 Sep and the weekend 7-8 Sep, I'll be getting the other 16 ready and aiming to have them up as well before that weekend is out.
                                My plan would then be to have the entire 32 pairings running together for 2 weeks from that date.
                                That would take us to the weekend 21/22 September for the change-over to Round 2.

Best to all of you and thanks again for your patience.

Paul
                                Last edited by panther3485; 03 Sep 19, 11:57.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X