This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
    Hmm! US Cruisers 1883-1904! I hope they have the USS Brooklyn (ACR-3/CA-3) in there. She's one of my favourite examples of Tumblehome construction.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Brooklyn_(ACR-3)
    Yep, she's in there but only about 3/4 of a page of info, including a photo, on that particular ship.
    As you probably know, she was authorized in 1892, launched in '95 and commissioned in '96. According to the author, Brooklyn was essentially an improved New York, with a longer hull and more efficient boilers so she was a bit faster. She also had better armament and armour.
    Apparently, the tumblehome allowed her beam turrets to fire from dead ahead to dead astern?
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post

Yep, she's in there but only about 3/4 of a page of info, including a photo, on that particular ship.
      As you probably know, she was authorized in 1892, launched in '95 and commissioned in '96. According to the author, Brooklyn was essentially an improved New York, with a longer hull and more efficient boilers so she was a bit faster. She also had better armament and armour.
      Apparently, the tumblehome allowed her beam turrets to fire from dead ahead to dead astern?
      Really? I did not know that. I need to get me a copy of that book!
      BoRG
      'A Battle is the Shield Wall. It's smelling your enemy's breath while he tries to disembowel you with an axe'

Comment

Will the actual start be clearly and properly announced this time?
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Will the actual start be clearly and properly announced this time?
          There were a couple of mitigating factors that contributed to the initial confusion; BUT rather than try to explain those, here's what I'll put on the table for you:

MM, up to and including T1 you were one of the most consistent and enthusiastic participants in my tournaments. So, my answer is item #1 below. (Item #2 is an optional extra):

(1) In recognition of your previous consistent participation and for anyone else who might have shared a similar experience, I promise to make extra efforts to avoid the potential for confusion in all forthcoming tournaments.

(2) I shall further extend the deadline for acceptance of "late votes" in the recent T2.
          This extension was set to expire just a few days ago (31 January). It is now extended to the end of February.
          Voting in a sufficient number of the T1 and T2 pairings (you're already good in T1), and doing the same in the forthcoming T3 and T4, will also enable qualification for an additional special campaign ribbon, which is to be awarded to all those who participate to the required level in all four tournaments of the Warships Campaign.
          Obviously, late votes cannot change poll outcomes but if you vote in the required number of T2 pairings your name will of course be added to the T2 Roll of Honor.
          This same offer applies to anyone else who qualified in T1 but either missed out on T2, or didn't vote in enough of the T2 pairings.

Any questions, feel free to ask; either here or by PM.

Last edited by panther3485; 06 Feb 19, 07:51.
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

There were a couple of mitigating factors that contributed to the initial confusion; BUT rather than try to explain those, here's what I'll put on the table for you:

MM, up to and including T1 you were one of the most consistent and enthusiastic participants in my tournaments. So, my answer is item #1 below. (Item #2 is an optional extra):

(1) In recognition of your previous consistent participation and for anyone else who might have shared a similar experience, I promise to make extra efforts to avoid the potential for confusion in all forthcoming tournaments.

(2) I shall further extend the deadline for acceptance of "late votes" in the recent T2.
            This extension was set to expire just a few days ago (31 January). It is now extended to the end of February.
            Voting in a sufficient number of the T1 and T2 pairings (you're already good in T1), and doing the same in the forthcoming T3 and T4, will also enable qualification for an additional special campaign ribbon, which is to be awarded to all those who participate to the required level in all four tournaments of the Warships Campaign.
            Obviously, late votes cannot change poll outcomes but if you vote in the required number of T2 pairings your name will of course be added to the T2 Roll of Honor.
            This same offer applies to anyone else who qualified in T1 but either missed out on T2, or didn't vote in enough of the T2 pairings.

Any questions, feel free to ask; either here or by PM.

Thank you for your response. I am not asking for any preferential treatment, merely a chance to start at the beginning with everyone else.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I am not asking for any preferential treatment, merely a chance to start at the beginning with everyone else.
              No problem my friend; and you are not being offered any preferential treatment here.
              All members who missed out on T2, or participated briefly but were unable to meet the minimum requirement for the ribbon - regardless of the reason - have exactly the same opportunity as you are being offered.
              However, I think it's reasonable to keep the offer open for one more month only?
              I would think that anyone who hasn't done it by then surely doesn't want to anyway?

To any ACG members who may be interested:
              If you are not completely sure how to proceed or are unsure of the minimum participation needed to qualify for the T2 ribbon, please either ask right here or, if you prefer, message me.

Best regards to all,
              Paul

Comment

No problem my friend; and you are not being offered any preferential treatment here.
                All members who missed out on T2, or participated briefly but were unable to meet the minimum requirement for the ribbon - regardless of the reason - have exactly the same opportunity as you are being offered.
                However, I think it's reasonable to keep the offer open for one more month only?
                I would think that anyone who hasn't done it by then surely doesn't want to anyway?

To any ACG members who may be interested:
                If you are not completely sure how to proceed or are unsure of the minimum participation needed to qualify for the T2 ribbon, please either ask right here or, if you prefer, message me.

Best regards to all,
                Paul
                I'm not sure how to proceed to complete T2.

Comment

I'm not sure how to proceed to complete T2.
                  OK, to get where you are now, you would have done this:

1. On the main page, scroll down until you find the "Armchair Attacks!" section.
                  2. Near the top left, select "Warships Campaign 2017-2018".
                  3. Click on Sticky: Campaign Introduction, "Next Round" & "Next Tournament" Announcements

When you got to step 2, below "Sticky: Warships Campaign - Questions, Comments and Concerns", you would have seen the beginning of the list of T2 matches. The first one reads, Closed: T2, R6, Prng 94 (Final): British Ship of the Line vs American Heavy Frigate .

Now, here comes the interesting bit:
                  They all start with the word, "Closed". And yes, when I closed them, nobody was able to post any comments after that. However, there is some sort of software glitch that allowed the actual polls themselves to remain open. I was unable to close them, and ACG members were still able to vote in them. Quite a few did exactly that!
                  So, as far as I know, this is still the case right now. Unless the glitch has somehow been fixed, you should still be able to vote in all of these polls if you want to. (BTW, please let me know if you can't. If so, it would mean the glitch has somehow been resolved. Let's hope that hasn't happened yet!)

Anyway, assuming the glitch is still in place and you are able to vote, there are 63 polls. They are spread across 7 pages (the last 3 being on page 7) and to qualify for the ribbon, you would need to vote in at least 32 of them.

Good luck, and please let me know if you run into any problems.
                  The above also applies to any other members who wish to vote, or add to the votes they've made already. (We have one member who voted in 31 polls, so I hope he's reading this and votes in at least one more!)

Regards,
                  Paul
                  Last edited by panther3485; 10 Feb 19, 06:48.

Comment

Edit (for Mountain Man and any other interested members) regarding the above post:

I have now re-opened all 63 of the T2 poll threads; just in case you or any other members want to say something about the ships, to go along with your votes.
                    I'll leave them open until the end of this extension; i.e. one month hence; which will be 10 March.

Comment

<SNIP> ... I have now re-opened all 63 of the T2 poll threads; just in case you or any other members want to say something about the ships, to go along with your votes.
                      I'll leave them open until the end of this extension; i.e. one month hence; which will be 10 March.
                      Amendment:

Given that T3 is still at least a couple of months away, I've decided to leave T2 open until, say perhaps, a week before T3 is ready. Therefore, members who wish to vote and/or post comments in T2 will still be able to do so right up until that time.
                      Obviously, as all of the T2 Rounds have already been concluded, Round outcomes will not change but latecomers will still be eligible for the ribbon/Roll of Honor if they have voted in at least 32 of the 63 pairings.

I'm thinking of also applying this idea to T3. If so, that means members will still be able to vote in T3 after conclusion of all Rounds, until the week before T4 opens. T4 would then stay open for a similar overall length of time.

If this way of doing things is well received by the membership, then going forward I might use it as my template for any future tournaments?

Comment

Amendment:

Given that T3 is still at least a couple of months away, I've decided to leave T2 open until, say perhaps, a week before T3 is ready. Therefore, members who wish to vote and/or post comments in T2 will still be able to do so right up until that time.
                        Obviously, as all of the T2 Rounds have already been concluded, Round outcomes will not change but latecomers will still be eligible for the ribbon/Roll of Honor if they have voted in at least 32 of the 63 pairings.

I'm thinking of also applying this idea to T3. If so, that means members will still be able to vote in T3 after conclusion of all Rounds, until the week before T4 opens. T4 would then stay open for a similar overall length of time.

If this way of doing things is well received by the membership, then going forward I might use it as my template for any future tournaments?
                        Sounds reasonable to me, FWIW

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Originally posted by slick24 View Post

Sounds reasonable to me, FWIW
                          Thanks for that feedback.

I've been thinking about this quite a lot.
                          Many of the members who participated in T1 don't appear to be around much anymore, if at all.
                          Some others are obviously still around but they seem to visit ACG far less frequently than they used to.
                          So to me, it would seem to make some sense to keep the polls of each Tournament open considerably longer; especially given the substantial time gap between these Tournaments, when not a lot else is happening anyway.

On the other hand, waiting too long between rounds would be unfair to those who are engaging in a relatively timely fashion.
                          I reckon setting each round's polling decisions - and hence progression to the next round - for no longer 2 weeks is about right? Otherwise, if I drag it out too long, some of the members who DO engage promptly and enthusiastically may start to lose interest?

Therefore, those taking longer than 2 weeks to vote will not be contributing to the actual poll outcomes. However, they will still be able to offer their comments and opinions; and if they vote in enough of the polls they will still be eligible for the ribbon/Roll of Honor.

Comment

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

I think that is fair.
                              BoRG
                              'A Battle is the Shield Wall. It's smelling your enemy's breath while he tries to disembowel you with an axe'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X