Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puller vs. Manstein (Round 3)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Looks like I'm peaking all the ones that are loosing, so far...
    I had to vote for Puller. As it has been mentioned before, he was great through a much longer time than Manstein. This is a lifelong award and I'm sure we still heroes as references today. This man as it all.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans


    Comment


    • #17
      The only reason that Manstein ever became a legend is because he never had to actually fight Puller.

      Puller.
      "Yellowstain!"

      Comment


      • #18
        If there was any man who could have turned American forces into the weapon that could beat anyone, it was Puller.

        Comment


        • #19
          This Puller dude sounds like a beast. (In Ohio, that's a compliment!) However, Wars are won first in the embassy, then in the HQ, then in the trenches. Manstein was a masterful planner who pulled off victories that should have been impossible and he did it despite lack of supplies and an erratic leader back in Berlin, something Puller never needed to confront.

          My vote goes to Manstein!
          How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
          275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

          Comment


          • #20
            In a local engagement, I'd much rather have Puller in the foxhole next to me.

            But when it comes to command of an army group, front or the entire army, my choice is von Manstein, who I believe to be the greatest commander of World War II. So the opponent of launching Citadel and master of the Kharkov counter-offensive is my choice.
            Kampfgruppe Vice Kommandir
            http://www.kampfgruppe.us

            Comment


            • #21
              I've said it before and will say it again, you don't have to command great numbers to be great. Puller's one of those fellas that you read about and he seems larger than life, imagine what it would have been like to actually have a beer with the man. Whooo!

              Comment


              • #22
                Ok, so since people want to bring in things like the size of the unit commanded and other things that may or may not reflect on a commanders military brilliance I will add a new one.

                Puller was fighting with the forces to bring Freedom. Manstein was fighting for an evil Man. And maybe he believed he was fighting for the father land, but had he won no honor that he thought he lived up to could have repaid the world for the consequences.

                However, look at Japan, The Pacific, and South Korea today. Cleary the side Puller was on did more for the greater good than Manstein. We may admire his skill but we need to be damn glad he lost.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                  Ok, so since people want to bring in things like the size of the unit commanded and other things that may or may not reflect on a commanders military brilliance I will add a new one.

                  Puller was fighting with the forces to bring Freedom. Manstein was fighting for an evil Man. And maybe he believed he was fighting for the father land, but had he won no honor that he thought he lived up to could have repaid the world for the consequences.

                  However, look at Japan, The Pacific, and South Korea today. Cleary the side Puller was on did more for the greater good than Manstein. We may admire his skill but we need to be damn glad he lost.

                  When you start using your moral values against most of these people they are going to fall short.

                  HP
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                  Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                  you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
                    When you start using your moral values against most of these people they are going to fall short.
                    Or worse- if you're a pacifist you might resort to violence in protest and actually shoot yourself.
                    Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                    (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Manstein was critical enough of the high command, but he said it in a way that kept him around for several years still. And he wasn't exactly balsy around Hitler himself.

                      Puller told everyone around that the M1 Carbine was a piece of garbage, right where everyone would have to acknowledge it. He didn't spit out the canned speeches after our great victory on Guadalcanal, but told us why we were lucky that we didn't get wasted by an enemy on the verge of starvation. Chesty had more in the way of balls than every officer today put together.
                      He made enemies who attacked him from their air conditioned offices, but he sure wasn't hesitant to call them out for being exactly what they were.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                        Puller told everyone around that the M1 Carbine was a piece of garbage, right where everyone would have to acknowledge it. He didn't spit out the canned speeches after our great victory on Guadalcanal, but told us why we were lucky that we didn't get wasted by an enemy on the verge of starvation. Chesty had more in the way of balls than every officer today put together.
                        Yes, the hardest round for me because of all this. I feel I shot Chesty in the back, though mercifully it was with an M1. Still doesn't make me feel better though...
                        Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                        (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Well they were both great commanders and men of honor. It is indeed a hard round.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                            Well they were both great commanders and men of honor. It is indeed a hard round.
                            Indeed!

                            Here's to both...
                            CPT T
                            Field Artillery
                            BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
                            FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

                            "Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              My Fathers Ghost will haunt me for this, but im voting Manstein.
                              http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...200pixwide.jpg

                              Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming Clan Since 1998

                              NorbertSnyderJr.com

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by KGPanzerschrecK View Post
                                My Fathers Ghost will haunt me for this, but im voting Manstein.
                                He'll be proud. You voted with your head.

                                HP
                                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                                Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                                you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X