Moltke vs. Wellington (Round 3)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moltke vs. Wellington (Round 3)

Here are some basic facts for each player to help you in your voting (From Wikipedia):

Helmuth Von Moltke

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf[1] von Moltke (October 26, 1800 April 24, 1891), was a German Generalfeldmarschall. The chief of staff of the Prussian army for thirty years, he is widely regarded as one of the great strategists of the latter half of the 1800s, and the creator of a new, more modern method, of directing armies in the field.

Wellington

Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, KG, GCB, GCH, PC, FRS (c. 1 May 1769 14 September 1852) was an Anglo-Irish British Army soldier and statesman, widely considered one of the leading military and political figures of the first half of the 19th century. Commissioned an ensign in the British Army, he rose to prominence in the Napoleonic Wars, eventually reaching the rank of field marshal.
    Wellington
    67.35%
    Moltke
    32.65%

The poll is expired.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Moltke.

He studied Frederick and Bonaparte and Gustavas and Charles the 12th and Peter..... not the Duke.

Comment

Pfff tough one to decide for a french...think I'll go with Wellington, at least he gave his name to a pair of boots

Comment

Wellington again for me.
        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Wellington. Undefeated in battle says it all for me.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Wellington gets the nod.
            Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
              Moltke.

He studied Frederick and Bonaparte and Gustavas and Charles the 12th and Peter..... not the Duke.
              Agreed!

Comment

Wellington. He just knew how to get campaigns and battles sorted, and seemed able to scavenge up the resources far away from home sometimes to do it.

Moltke- I've just this funny gut feeling he got to borrow a lot from the ACW (no proof but that's my prerogative here), though very impressive in his own right and had my vote last time.
                Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Moltke, all the way.

He has the funnier name, right DoD?

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
                    Moltke.

Moltke may have studied Nappy but the Duke beat him.
                    #occupyarmchairgeneral.
                    Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
                    Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Helmuth Von Moltke... he must have had something in his genes as well

Helmuth Johannes Ludwig von Moltke (1848-1916), nephew to the Moltke above. Cheif of staff for the German forces before and in the beginning of WW1.

Helmuth von Moltke (1907-1945), grandson to the Moltke in this poll, involved in the plot against Hitler.
                      "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I'm voting Wellington. Moltke was great but he was no Wellington.

Comment

OK - I didn't have either of these going this far... so on the over-all scheme of things... I'm hosed! But - given these two great commanders... I think I'm going to have to go with Wellington - Simply because they were both good - they accomplished tremendous things tactically... The only issue is that Wellington defeated one of the greatest military minds ever - not to mention in his time...

I have to go with Wellington...
                          CPT T
                          Field Artillery
                          BDE S3 - Peacemaker 3 - OIF 09
                          FSO - 1BCT, 3ID - OIF III

"Loved or Hated... Never Ignored... COLT sticks it deep!"

Comment

Wellington.

Comment

I'm going with the Irish Fella! Wellington
                              "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X