Tournament Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament Commentary

I posted a mid-tournament analysis with out thinking that it might lead to other commentary, so I've started a new thread for it to prevent the hijacking of another thread, and to give this a proper thread title.

Leading the pack in popularity is the Duke of Wellington, smashing his opponent with a staggering 85% percent of the vote at the time of this post. Adolphus comes in about 80% over his opposition, and Chuikov and Saladin score 81% in a tied race for the popular vote in their respective battles, establishing wide leads that will be tough to overcome. Honorable mention goes to Sobieski, Manstien, and Charles the Bold for dominating their challengers and gaining a potential seat at the table in the last rounds of the tournament.

Most impressive though are the two close run fights in the first round. First; Giap vs. Dayan, neck and neck with lively debate to accompany the voting. Second; Pershing vs. Moltke is very tight, and nowhere near over. The hotly contested battles are likely, in my opinion, to yeild a General with the ability to go the distance to the final rounds, perhaps even a winner is among those four names. My vote is still on Kurt Student, out shear Paratrooper endorsement, but it looks like the smart money is on the Duke of Wellington to win....
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

(weapon at the ready ) Gustavas Adolophus is my candidate for the winner of the final round.

Comment

Front Runners

Originally posted by Col. Dyess View Post
      (weapon at the ready ) Gustavas Adolophus is my candidate for the winner of the final round.
      Gustav Adolphus is certainly an early favorite, likely to make the last rounds, if not a potential winner. My bookie friends are giving 5:2 odds on the Duke of Wellington though, much to my dismay. Kurt Student (my pick) doesn't really stand up against any of the front runners, so I'm predicting that Manstein cuts a clear path in Round Two, garnerning support from WWII enthusiasts who will have a hard choice between Puller and Manstein (my picks for the last leg of the WWII competition).With a current 78% standing over Mannerheim, his Round One opponent, Erich Von Manstien would look awfully good in the final "Winners Circle," one of the few places not listed on the "Nazi Travel Guide."
      Last edited by Paul Mann III; 30 Jun 07, 09:35.
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

And Wellington is the first general to pass 100 votes!!!!!

Comment

Giap vs. Dayan

Update on the hottest race in the tournament

At 56 to 58, Dayan, this is the one to watch. If Dayan can hold the lead he becomes a strong contender for the "big one." The boys "back home" are giving 3:2 Wellington vs. Dayan in the Final Round. I voted for Giap myself, since he fought against P.V. Mann Jr., that makes him tough in my book.

Col. Dyess, who do you favor in the tied race between Giap and Dayan?

BoRG

Comment

How long does round 1 continue for?.
            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by P.V. Mann III View Post
              Col. Dyess, who do you favor in the tied race between Giap and Dayan?
              Dayan is my choice. He had more than one enemy to fight at the same time.

Comment

Round Length

Originally posted by mike brown View Post
                How long does round 1 continue for?.

The last update I read from Siberian HEAT said the rounds would last 10 days, with a few extra days scheduled for the first round, due to the amount of competitors.

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
                Right now, I'm thinking it will stay open until just before July 4. About 10 days for each round. A couple extra days for this first round since there are more guys in it...
                Last edited by Paul Mann III; 01 Jul 07, 11:33.

BoRG

Comment

Thanks P.V, just waiting for the next round.
                  Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

So am I.
                    History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

Pershing vs. Moltke

"Black Jack" Pershing

John Joseph "Black Jack" Pershing (September 13, 1860 – July 15, 1948) was an officer in the United States Army. Pershing is the only person to, while still alive, rise to the highest rank ever held in the United States Army—General of the Armies—equivalent only to the posthumous rank of George Washington. Pershing led the American Expeditionary Force in World War I and was regarded as a mentor by the generation of American generals who led the United States army forces in Europe during World War II, including George C. Marshall, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Omar Bradley and George S. Patton.

Helmuth Von Moltke

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf[1] von Moltke (October 26, 1800 – April 24, 1891), was a German Generalfeldmarschall. The chief of staff of the Prussian army for thirty years, he is widely regarded as one of the great strategists of the latter half of the 1800s, and the creator of a new, more modern method, of directing armies in the field.

Pershing 56 votes - 48.70%

Moltke 59 votes - 51.30%

This is still a tight run. Within the next two or three days it could switch up, but as of this post it's Moltke on top. I went with Pershing here, he gave the green light to create WWI Paratroopers, but the war ended before the project came off the drawing board. He's only a few votes behind, so I'm thinking there can be comeback here if the Chairborne voters rally.
                      Last edited by Paul Mann III; 01 Jul 07, 12:31.

BoRG

Comment

Has the second round started if it hasn't can Siberian send me a post to let me know cheers
                        http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

PV, I think that Wellington is going to be hard to beat. He actually in battle defeated the March Offensive's winner, Napoleon. And the man never lost a battle and was never a Nazi. So Wellington is IMHO, is the favorite all the way.

Back to you......Hello...Is this thing on?......Anyone.......*&%#@@!!
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Duke Wellington favored....

Originally posted by revans View Post
                            PV, I think that Wellington is going to be hard to beat. He actually in battle defeated the March Offensive's winner, Napoleon. And the man never lost a battle and was never a Nazi. So Wellington is IMHO, is the favorite all the way.

Back to you......Hello...Is this thing on?......Anyone.......*&%#@@!!
                            Indeed. Check one..., Check one..., Check one..., two..., two balls. Very good....

The Duke is a strong leader in the first round, that's for sure. With Napolean having won the March Offensive, I'm hoping voting trends toward WWII, giving highlight to a different Era of Warfare. The Nazi stigma is going to hard to overcome even though Manstien and Student weren't "fanatics", I'll give you that, and Puller doesn't have a chance for winning the "big cookie," he's just not that diverse in battle. I don't know enough about Chuikov to make a call there, but he seems strong. I don't think Saladin has the endurance to stand up in the final rounds, regardless of his smashing lead in his current race, and the fact that more people have voted in Saladin vs. Bolivar than Wellington vs. Houston.
                            Last edited by Paul Mann III; 02 Jul 07, 13:15.

BoRG

Comment

Does anyone else feel like Sam Houston was set up to fail in the first round? Or is it just that Wellington was set up to beat his Round One competitor? In his "catagory" you also have Frederick II, Giap, Dayan, Peshing, and Moltke. Would the Duke have made such an opening splash if he had been set against one of these Generals? I predict Round Two will be hottest in the "1800+" bracket. It's collected the most voters who have posted comments, and garnered the most total votes, at the time of the post (appx. 475 votes in 4 threads). Surprise for Charles the Bold and Marcus Argrippa, collecting 102 and 104 votes in respective order, leaving the "pre-1800" Era the least attended voting section (appx. 434 total votes in 4 threads). From my in-depth analysis I put forth this list for the "final four." Of course the tied races between Giap vs. Dayan, and Pershing vs. Moltke (both in the 1800+ Era) could toss this all out the window....

Conqueror Bracket; Saladin

1800+ Bracket; The Duke of Wellington

Pre-1800 Bracket; Jan Sobieski

WWII Bracket; Erich Von Manstien

The pairing up for the final rounds will be a determining factor in the Champion outcome. As a side note, even though the Tournament has branched out for Equal Opportunity with a woman General and an African General, neither one had much to hope for against this list.
                              Last edited by Paul Mann III; 02 Jul 07, 13:47.

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X