Greatest SPQR speech !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest SPQR speech !

Without a doubt, a whole lot of magnificent speeches, dialogues, poems and stories have been posted during the SPQR game.

I was wondering which one you thought was the most touching, the most inspiring, the most decisive or the most creative?

Take your time in choosing the right one, because there's alot of literature (almost 5.000 posts !!!!) to look through.

Copy it and post it here...

Greets,
    Stratego
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

hmmm ok Stratego... see you in a week! ....make that a Month!
    Last edited by Arthwys; 14 Dec 09, 14:48.
    BoRG
    'A Battle is the Shield Wall. It's smelling your enemy's breath while he tries to disembowel you with an axe'

Comment

I would go so far - just from memory - to guess it would be one of either one deceased Senior Senator, or one of 2 surviving Generals of Rome...

Then again, me ever lurvin bruda did very well, indeed.

Methinx I'll be spendin awhile figgeriin which actual speech was of most inspiration or well delivered craft..

Dang, Strat...

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

I put a good deal of effort into my stuff, and it worked for the most part...

I need to drag up my call to the people of Rome for anti-Praetorian riot in the streets...
        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I wish Falco would have given a speech...
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I read a few of mine(General Rubinus) in the last round and was impressed, Senator Plinius's speeches was one of my favourites to read.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
              Oh Gods no....
              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

A rousing speech from General Falco from Moesia Superior during Gameturn 2 Extra !!! ...

Dispatch from VII Legion, Modesia Superior

excuse me if I sound like my old (U S of A of course) Football coach, but

You guys interpeted my plan like a bunch of ****tards

I don't want to draft anyone, I just wanted to have a big recruitment drive, you know, set up posters and have recruiters walk around and advertise for joining the legion and stuff

And why not offer shorter hitches of about 5 yrs and a piece of land.

Oh and whats with all this "City dwellers make poor soldiers" crock of bullshit, Give me those boys and I'll train them myself and they'll be the best damn legion there ever was

you got your colonists and I got my soldiers

And did you guys hear the oracle,

All we need is to get shook up by a good enemy general like Hannibal and a good army with it and will be back in ship shape

And if any of you ****** try to start a civil war in the next turn and a half till we beat this treat to Rome the oracle spoke of me and my Legion will personally shove a boot up your ***
                Last edited by Stratego; 15 Dec 09, 05:41.
                Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Reminds me of my Rugby Coach!
                  BoRG
                  'A Battle is the Shield Wall. It's smelling your enemy's breath while he tries to disembowel you with an axe'

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                    Originally posted by Legate View Post
                    Oh Gods no....
                    He did have a lot of shouting fits........

Ans he did take off his shirt and terrified women and children alike!
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

For sheer eloquence, Senator Plinius had no equal.

For rousing the passion of the people, Senator Antonius and Citizen Karma were closely matched until Citizen Furius snuck in there towards the end.

Senator Verus had his moments, and Senator Quintus was stunning for someone who came into the game so late.

Senator Julius/Marcus Tarquinus did great by always popping up at the right moment.

Senator Torienus wins the "biggest mouth" prize and were responsible for giving the Emperor a permanent migraine headache.

If one reads through the threads again, it is apparent that everyone contributed and some of those speeches were hilarious, and a few even educational!

The Emperor apologises if he I missed someone who had that big "speech moment", as his reply is based on just game memories.
                      Last edited by Salinator; 15 Dec 09, 19:38.
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I was going for "Migraine Inducing" so I was successful, no?

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

Plinus was definitely tops when it came to oratory and I give Antonius massive props for his speeches as well.

I also enjoyed the heck out of Franzius's constant schilling.
                          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Thanks for all the adhesion guys
                            I think that of all the elements which made SPQR such an enjoyable experience, to me the speeching was what I liked best. I have to think and read back whose speeches I liked best. I'll come back on that one.

Plinius
                            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Riot in the Streets

Here's an oldie but a goodie...

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                              People of RomeÖ,

I, Senator Antonius, call to you now, as you have called upon me so many times!

Great injustice has been done in Rome! Our leader has been massacred, and our fair city is held hostage by thugs and traitors!

Our society, founded upon its laws, has been betrayed by those charged with its guidance and protection!

As it stands, Senator Torienus, who was about to be arrested for Treason, has schemed to assassinate Caesar. It was the only way he could avoid the charge of Treason that was about to proven against him. Sadly, he acted before the Emperor could.

He has manipulated the Captain of the Praetorian Guard into doing his bidding with a promise of continued wealth and new-found lechery at the side of Torienus. Torienus also has duped Scipius into becoming a lighting-rod for his plots, intending to hide behind the new Emperorís cloak when he is called to answer for his recent crimes.

Torienus plans to let Roman soldiers spill each otherís blood in Civil War for his profit and prestige. Torienus would have us all killed, as he has done to Caesar, and so many others!

So I call to you now, People of Rome, to act as our own defenders of right!

People of Rome, take to the streets! With sword, with pitchfork, or with rock if need be! Put down this usurper Torienus, his dog Gaius, and their puppet Scipius! Let no building, farm, or shop go unharmed, for we shall all be destroyed if you do not!

Molest the Imperial convoys everywhere you find them!

I have always delivered to the People what they have asked for, and I now ask that the People trust in my reputation, and my promise that Rome will be delivered from this evil if what I ask for is done.Take our City back from the deceitful swine that have robbed us of our Caesar, burn it to its very foundations if needs be!

We must not let our history be shamed from within by Torienus the Traitor!

We can rebuild Rome once the vermin have fled; do this terrible deed now, for the Glory of Rome!

~Senator Antonius ďFat ToniusĒ Soprano~
                              "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X