Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salinator
    replied
    At the Senate Forum, Morning of September 12th, 82 A.D.

6:15 A.M.

Senatus Populusque Romanus

Word has reached the Senate!!! Crowds of loyal citizens rushing from all different quarters of Rome gather at the Senate Forum.

Excitement is in the air as the citizens await the arrival of the Emperor. For the first time in months, the citizens are joyous and optimistic. Rome has starved since Gaius confined the Emperor. The Empire has faltered, Provinces have decayed, and rebellions multiply throughout the territories.

As the Imperial Entourage turns the last corner, it is met with a ground shaking roar of approval. Children run alongside tossing petals of late season flowers. Overhead, from rooftops and windows of buildings along the way, roses, carnations, and hyacinths flutter down in joy. Bundles of orchids are given to and accepted by the Praetorians.

Arriving at the Senatorial Forum, Emperor Sal leaps from his great white stallion. He gazes upon his loyal subjects for just a moment, and then decrees:

Citizens! Today we take back Rome!!!

And with that, he walks into the Senate Forum.
    Last edited by Salinator; 16 Apr 09, 14:24.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Hail Caesar!!!

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Long Live Emperor Sal!!!

Word quickly circulates that Senator Antonius has been seen moving through the city with a plain burlap sack in his hand...

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Early Morning in Rome, 12th of September 82 A.D.

6 A.M.

The Imperial Palace

The Gates of the Imperial Palace swings open with authority not seen in months. Two hundred black stallions in full plumage and bearing black garbed Praetorians in full regalia emerges. The onlookers are first surprised, somewhat confused, and then they finally they cheer! The Praetorians are once again sporting the purple pipings, and they are once again bearing the banners of the Emperor!!!

A majestic white stallion emerges. The onlookers crane their necks and peer eagerly. The rider is wearing a long necked and sleeved white silk tunic. Atop that, a royal blue breastplate, along with similarly colored shoulder, arm, leg, and shin greaves. A sharp wind blows, and the rider's cloak unfurls into the breeze and was seen against the light of the rising sun by all the onlookers! It is Purple!!! A thunderous roar sounded forth from the crowd of citizens: Long Live Emperor Sal!!!

And with that the procession headed toward the Senate.
    Last edited by Salinator; 16 Apr 09, 04:38.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Meanwhile in Rome as the battle raged outside the city

The Imperial Palace,

5 A.M. 12th of September, 82 A.D.

In the early morning hours, the Emperor is rudely awakened with the point of a gladius in his face. He wakes up, sensing that his end has finally come…Gaius has ordered his death ! However, the officer of the Praetorian Guard, Iulius Vindex makes a sign without muttering a word, ordering the Emperor to get up ! He immediately stands up and put on his clothes, the single white toga now well worn and tattered but well washed and carefully mended by his loyal servants, and the pair of cheap sandals now with hardly any sole left and held together by hemp threads. That were all that were allowed by Gaius. When the Emperor is dressed, Iulius takes him to the hallway, where a dozen of his loyal comrade in arms stand waiting. The Emperor is unsure what to exactly expect. He takes a quick glance outside and looks out at his beloved city, which he felt he shall gaze upon for the last time…he smells the fresh breeze of the air ! He felt a quick pang of pain knowing that his people will now suffer under tyranny without him to save them. The Praetorians surround him, with their gladius’ firmly in their hands.
    However, when Iulius drops his weapon, the other soon follow suit. The sound of iron on the marble floor resonates through the palace. And then, throughout the Palace, the sound of hundreds of swords landing on the hard cold marble floor echos in an eerie but deafening ring. The officer speaks,

“Captain Gaius has left with his troops to attack General Drusus at Ostia. Now we will set you free, because the Empire is in shambles and the people want you to rule. Nobody else seems capable, Emperor”

The officer and his men bow respectfully to the Emperor and cry out:

Long live Emperor Salinatorius!!! Long live the senate, long live the people of Rome.

After that Iulius stands up again and makes a suggestion that puts the Emperor at complete ease:

"Come now Emperor, let us march together to the Roman Senate and proclaim your return. When Rome wakes up in a few hours, they will need a firm government once again…that will bring peace and prosperity !!!!"
    Last edited by Salinator; 16 Apr 09, 00:08.

Leave a comment:

• Munk
    replied
    Do not worry General Scipius.
    NOBODY will kill the People of Rome! Arcadius and I will take out those traitors ONE by ONE. Not in brute force...but SLOWLY, without them knowing it !
    They are trembling already ! They tremble...for the justice of the people IS the only justice: without pity, virtuous, incorruptible and swift.

FURIUS
    Last edited by Munk; 15 Apr 09, 19:11.

Leave a comment:

• Munk
    replied
    Originally posted by ForIAmSparticus View Post
    Thanks, this is quite helpful it can be confusing.

By the way the mob is the best!
    The mob is the LIFE...the heartbeat of Rome !
    Without US, the people, what would Rome be? NOTHING !!!
    We are the armies that defeat every foe, we are the tradesmen that make Rome rich, we are priests that proclaim Roman virtue worldwide, we are the artists that make the people of other nations stand agazed at our high culture, we are the women that give birth to such fine sons and daughters...how can anyone be against THE PEOPLE OF ROME ?????

FURIUS

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    According to your own words posted in turn 7 Gaius follows your orders:

By my order - as Guardian of Rome - Captain Gaius & the Praetorian Guard shall secure the Roman Treasury...

By this order, Captain Gaius shall allow no further than its accounting by Senate Officials.

Spending & Levy shall not be exclusive of the Senate, for its only fiscal authorities & means are of proposition, appropriation & oversight!

I order that all such activities be subject to my complete oversight & met to the full extent of my purview before appropriations are so honored.

While I breath, the People of Rome will not suffer the indignities of a solitary Senate in full possession of the purse!

Scipius
    Legatus
    Legio IV, Legio XX
    Military Commander - Armenia/Parthia
    Governor of Cappodocia & Judea
    Guardian of Rome

So that pretty much makes you a member of the Republican Party.
    On the contrary, the immediate events & record preceding my order repeated here proves that Captain Gaius honored my order - in the vacuum of military authority in Rome & with faith & trust in my Honor - and thus STOPPED the Senate effort under TORIENUS to seize full control of the Treasury of Rome!

Torienus was Rebublican, as well as a Senator.

These facts PROVE that Captain Gaius - though sharing similar philosophies and standing against the traitors which burned Rome as a means to conceal their crimes against the people, the politicians which imposed order by fear, and such individuals as yourself which did desert your duty, ordered post & objective (to say nothing of their subordinates facing near certain defeat in battle, saved only by their daring, resolve & honorable commitment to prevail by the Gods) that did declare yourself Emperor and March/Sail on Rome when positive proof that my brother yet lived was obvious (and so, again, by my order, as well) - was NOT a puppet of Torienus & has acted in favor of the people by his obeyance!

Nay, Drusus, you are as common a criminal as the traitor Antonius, & no victory for you will change it in the eyes of the Honorable Roman People... for even if you **** on them by force within the city, try as you might, they will not let you subjugate them again in such darkness!

As a side note to you, traitor Drusus, your 3 assassins failed to kill me in the night in Parthia, & the lone survivor squeals as a pig of you!

Nay, traitor Drusus, your infectious presence here will not be abided...

You might kill me...

You might kill the People of Rome...

But you cannot kill & put asunder what I or they stand for in full desire for it...

Peace from Honor & True Roman Justice!

Honorable People of Rome...

I seek - as your equal among you - your declaration of my Proconsul!

I seek to unite your loyal Legios to your defense!

I seek to help you guarantee your Honorable Roman Freedom from those that seek your Liberties!

VICTA ROMA!

ROME IS HER PEOPLE!

Scipius
    Victor Of Parthia
    Guardian Of Rome

Leave a comment:

• Stratego
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    The Factions:

Imperial Party:

Emperor Sal
    General Drusus
    Senator Antonius
    Senator Verus
    Senator Flavian
    Senator Honorius
    Senator Quintus

Senatorial Party:

Senator Torienus (currently missing)
    General Scipius
    General Paulus
    General Rubinus
    General Valerius
    Captain Gaius
    The Mob:

Furius
    Arcadius

Prophet of Mithras:

Argos of Corinth

Germanic Barbarian Chieftain:

Radulf

I think thats everyone!
    Somebody else we've forgotten:

Faustus: ex-galley slave and now captain of the "Trident", fastest ship of the Meditteranean !!!!

Greets,
    FATE

God, I never realized how many have played a part...
    We also have the three Armenian Senators...

Seneos
    Ariobarzanus

and of course...

Bardas Phocas

Our old and "loose cannon" friend General Falco !

also, lets not forget:

Senator Julius

and Marcus Tarquinius

This is just crazy

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    Good Job!

Leave a comment:

• Stratego
    replied
    From Wikipedia !!!!

Battle of Fiumicinius

The Battle of Fiumicinius was a decisive battle of the Senatorial Civil War. On September 12, 82 AD, the battle was fought at Fiumicinius in central Italy between forces of the Imperial faction and forces of the Senatorial faction. Both factions fielded armies from the Roman Empire. The Imperials were led by Marcus Cornelius Drusus and the Senatorials were led by Gnaeus Gaius Marcus. In addition to Gaius, the Senatorial faction included a few members of the Roman Senate. The victory of Drusus weakened the Senatorial forces and restored Emperor Salinator’s control over the Roman Empire

Date: September 12, 82 AD

Result: Decisive Imperial victory

Belligerents:

Drusus’(Imperial) forces

Marcus Cornelius Drusus

Gaius’ (Senatorial) forces

Gaius Marcus
    Valerius Magnus

Strength:

Drusus
    Approximately 22,000 Legionaries and Auxiliaries and around 500 Cavalry

Gaius
    Approximately 15,000 Legionaries and Auxiliaries and 5,000 Cavalry

Casualties and losses:

Imperial forces: 7,200

Senatorial forces: 9,000

Prelude
    After having returned from Parthia in the middle of August after hearing of the outbreak of the Civil War, Drusus’ Roman army, consisting of four legions and totaling 22.000 infantry , remained encamped to the east of Rome, erecting a fortified camp just north of Ostia. Feeling themselves threatened by the illegal presence of such a large force only an hour from Rome, the Senatorial party demanded action. Having received reinforcements from the Legio II Augusta from Brittania and Legio X Rufus from Dacia, Gaius determined to attack Drusus force and to force him out of the Italian Peninsula- and away from Roman influence. In the early hours of the 12th of September he approached Ostia with an army estimated at 15,000 infantry and 5,000 cavalry.
    Gaius’ took the risky option of a surprise night attack. In the best traditions of such it resulted at best in a mediocre operation. Although the outposts were surprised and overwhelmed, too many troops were engaged, so that coordination went missing, troops took longer to reach the camp than planned and Drusus detected their approach early enough to organize at least part of his forces with astonishing speed, despite the already inflicted losses.

Deployment
    Drusus realized that his shortage of cavalry was a serious drawback and that a defeat therefore would mean a certain demise. In order to counter a potential cavalry attack, he therefore took the risk of placing his war elephants and German light troops in the center of his line, so in order to counter Gaius’cavalry wherever they showed up.
    Gaius hoped to win the battle by using his superior cavalry numbers to mount a two-flank attack on Drusus' forces, putting a substantial amount of effort into ensuring that he would be able to ‘sneak around to the back’. As such, he ordered the entirety of his cavalry on Drusus's right and rear, together with light forces consisting of slingers and archers.

Battle
    Drusus immediately ordered out his veterans of Legio Rapax to confront the Gaius’ main force from the north, thereby giving his other three legions time to organize. Behind them, he deployed his two legions in a wedge formation-hoping to break Gaius’ centre, leaving a part of the third in reserve, behind the elephants and light.
    The engagement was hampered from the start due to the morning darkness. Reports of the various enemy movements and numbers proved to be mostly unaccurate or wrong. In the first hour of the battle, Livy writes that troops on both sides ended up engaging their own. However, this problem was soon solved when General Brutus decided to set the battlefield alight with the help of burning projectiles, fired from onagers at Drusus base camp.
    As the infantry was engaged in a life and death struggle in the centre, Gaius immediately ordered his cavalry out as soon as the first light appeared on the horizon.
    Gaius’ himself led the initial cavalry charge, and crashed into Drusus right flank of his auxilia swordsmen, Drusus reacted however by ordering his German light from second line to disperse the cavalry together with his reserve. When confronted by Drusus’ reserve of heavy infantry, made from one cohort of the last line of every legion, Gaius' charge was pushed back (Drusus had told his legionaries to thrust their siege spears ( having exchanged the usual Pilum, Pila - plural ) into the enemy cavalrymen's faces instead of throwing them), and soon the cavalry of Gaius’s left was pushed into the foothills surrounding the battle. It is at this point that Drusus was reported to have fallen from his horse, only to have another one fall upon him, crushing his legs and making him unable to move so that for the remainder of the battle he had to be carried around in a stretcher from one side of the battlefield to another.
    Soon after, the second and decisive cavalry charge was ordered, this time from the rear. The thinned out reserve was unable to counter the massive charge of Gaius’ Praetorian Cavalry under Valerius and soon the Roman veterans of Legio III Tertia Scythica broke formation. It now seemed that Gaius was on the verge of victory, having found the door to Drusus’ rear wide open. In a desperate gamble - from his stretcher - Drusus sounded the trumpet ordering his 24 African War elephants and his German light to be let loose upon the élite cavalry. As Livy states: “…the beasts, having been in the midst of the confusion of the battle for nearly three hours, seemed almost relieved to finally be free, they caused enormous chaos among Gaius’ cavalry of which only a few were able to flee the field of battle in fright, the others were ruthlessly stampeded upon or thrown into the air by their pointy tusks...” Only the Scythian light cavalry units - of which largely horsearchers – managed to save Gaius’ cavalry from complete destruction. The archers attacked the elephants, causing them to panic and trample their own men – the light German warbands accompanying them. Finally it was left to Drusus’ 300 cavalry to engage the remaining Praetorian cavalry and to secure his rear...
    Despite these setbacks to Gaius’ forces in the rear, the battle remained a closely contested engagement up front where the larger part of the infantry was engaged. For four hours they confronted each other, resulting in a fierce and bloody struggle, with neither side achieving local gain. However the loss of Gaius’ cavalry superiority, marked the turning point of the battle. Although he rallied his men and returned to attack Drusus’ vulnerable right flank with his cavalry, his infantry was unable to cope against the well-trained and confident Roman soldiers of General Drusus. When General Aurelianus of Legio Augusta fell among his men at the closing stages of the battle, his exhausted troops disintegrated or surrendered. Only the Praetorian Guard Infantry kept up the struggle. As Livy reports: ...Urging and swearing his men on, cursing to find himself still alive after having bravely fought in the front lines for many hours, Gaius was seen on foot slashing and hitting in a blind rage, calling for his opponent as his army crumbled around him...”

Sorry guys that it took so long...but I wanted to make it look like a real Wikipedia entry...but it didn't work (all that time for nothing ) !

Anyway here's the result of the battle, I will post the scorepoints of each army tommorow

Greets,
    FATE

PS: My message box is 92 % full !!!

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    Originally posted by Admiral View Post
    Scipius belongs to NO political party save that of the people!

I shall serve - to the best of my abilities - to secure their better interests in Justice & Honor for Rome!

Nothing More!

Nothing Less!

If my Honor holds any sway over any Roman, it is due Honesty & Justice...

Not allegiance to party or result of owed debt!

Scipius
    Victor of Parthia
    Guardian of Rome

According to your own words posted in turn 7 Gaius follows your orders:

By my order - as Guardian of Rome - Captain Gaius & the Praetorian Guard shall secure the Roman Treasury...

By this order, Captain Gaius shall allow no further than its accounting by Senate Officials.

Spending & Levy shall not be exclusive of the Senate, for its only fiscal authorities & means are of proposition, appropriation & oversight!

I order that all such activities be subject to my complete oversight & met to the full extent of my purview before appropriations are so honored.

While I breath, the People of Rome will not suffer the indignities of a solitary Senate in full possession of the purse!

Scipius
    Legatus
    Legio IV, Legio XX
    Military Commander - Armenia/Parthia
    Governor of Cappodocia & Judea
    Guardian of Rome

So that pretty much makes you a member of the Republican Party.

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
    Interesting...

I have been counted among the 'Senatorial' party, though no-one has actually enquired as to my Loyalty....

Interesting indeed.

-Legatus Valerius Magnus
    Well I read your post from a while back that declared your support to Gaius and the Senatorial Party.

I got lucky and read it before it was mysteriously deleted.

So Yeah, I know where your loyalties lie....

Leave a comment:

• ForIAmSparticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Admiral View Post

I shall serve - to the best of my abilities - to secure their better interests in Justice & Honor for Rome!

Nothing More!

Nothing Less!

Scipius
    Victor of Parthia
    Guardian of Rome

Seems the mob has a strong ally who up holds the same interests as the great citizens of Rome.

ARCADIUS

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied

Nothing More!

Nothing Less!

Scipius
    Victor of Parthia
    Guardian of Rome

Leave a comment:

• Alexander
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
    Noticing a "lack" of a certain Senator...Torienus.

Where does he fit into this arrangement?
    Torienus is part of the Senatorial Party; indeed, one of its leaders and its most prominent member from the Senate.

Currently, he is missing, after an incident involving a mob that was thought to have left him dead, although he is most likely alive.

That's all I know...I could be wrong.

Regards,
    Senator Quintus Vespillo

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X