SPQR Gameturn 9 !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lysurganas,

I am a Roman Senator, yet I for one am not an old man who is out of touch with reality or with the life of a soldier. In fact, I am one of the youngest members of the Senate; yet that does not mean I am unwise and inept.

My younger brother, Sextus Johannes Vespillo, is currently serving in Legio XXIV "Apollinaris," under the command of General Rubinus. He is a junior officer, one of many centurions. He was previously part of Legio VII Claudia Pia Fidellis. I have visited him many times, and have personally taken part in minor skirmishes fought against your people. I have participated in forced marches and learned a little about military tactics and strategy. I have alwasy been fond of the army, just more fond of politics.

I value the military service given thus far by all Roman generals: Drusus, Scipius, Rubinus, etc.

Remember that it will be General Rubinus whom you will have to contend with, should you carry on this war...which means that you will also have to face my brother and his fellow legionaries. That said, I doubt you will emerge victorious...even with the aid of the traitor Scaurus. Do the wise thing and yield now to the might of the Roman Empire and our legions. You life hangs in the balance...do not throw it away in a foolish and bloody campaign that you have no chance of winning. Rome will emerge triumphant!

Senator Quintus Vespillo
    Last edited by Alexander; 08 Apr 09, 12:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Klibanophoros View Post
      Unfortunatly for you Scaurus and his Cohort left Parthia some time ago and are guests in Dacia.

To: Legate Magnus

Join my side Legate you and your men will be treated like kings and lavishly rewarded. You will treated with the respect and honor you deserve, those old men in the senate and the masses who control them and thus you have no idea whta its like to be denied what is yours, and to be held back and used to cover their own inadequacies and reap the rewards that are rightfully yours they understand nothing of a soldiers life or whats it like they don't how to win a war or battle and when you win one they take all the credit, I know what is like to be forced to stand by and watch as what you tried to protect and defend is ruined because they refuse to acknowledge your potential, come to my side and it will not be so, here you can grow and have what is rightfully yours. Join me and put your great potential to use don't waste this chance
      Lysurganas

I Serve Rome and will have no truck with those who seek aims against her. By standing against Rome you name yourself an enemy of the Empire and thus an enemy of Mine. There shall be no peace save that dictated by Rome.

Valerius Magnus
      Legate
      Legio VI Felix Commanding
      BoRG
      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

From far Armenia, I plead for peace in Rome. We are bled white and must end this internal strife. Rome still faces real enemies at her borders who must be watched and dealt with.
        TTFN

Comment

Letter from my sister--revolt in Judaea imminent!

It is with a mixture of joy and anxiety that I read this letter from my sister Roxanne, who is currently residing in Judaea. Joy to hear from her; anxiety because of what she has to say about the growing unrest and violence in Judaea, among the religious fanatics there. This unrest is largely a result of the current civil war. We MUST find a way to end the civil strife. Our Empire depends on it.

Originally posted by Roxanne
          Jerusalem, the 1st of September, 82 AD

Dear Brother,
          As promised, I'm sending you an update on the state of affairs here in the province of Judaea.
          My dear husband -your brother-in-law- Fabius and I have heard of the sorrowful state in which Rome currently resides but I am sorry to have to report to you the consequences this has in our province. With the pulling back of Legio XX of governor Cassius for the war against Parthia, the religious intolerance here in Jerusalem has risen! Although tranquility has reigned in the first few months, the downfall of trade and commerce due to the current civil war in Rome has recently had its repurcussion here. After more then a decade, signs of another religious revolt are becoming apparent everywhere. It seems as if these damned religious leaders, sensing the weakening of the Empire, have now taken the opportunity to make themselves heard once again. Yesterday for instance, my husband was called upon to disperse a gathered crowd at the temple, but they were so hostile that they had to be dispersed with violence, leaving at least 10 dead and as many wounded...
          As I write this letter, news reaches us that tribune Alexandrus has been stabbed by a religious fanatic ! Fabius has confided in me that a full-scale rebellion might erupt in the province anyday now.
          We are growing concerned...
          In other circumstances, I would write to you, that I'd currently - for our safety- reside close to you and the rest of our beloved family in Rome. However, there things don't seem any better !
          Fabius and I -as do many Romans here in Judaea - ask ourselves who is ruling our Empire at this moment? Is it Emperor Sal? Or is it general Drusus? Or is it the senate? Is it the Captain of the Praetorians Gaius?
          Nobody seems to know...
          How has our -until recently- beautiful and strong Empire been able to crumble so quickly? Who must we turn to? Who will command? It seems as if Anarchy reigns...

I embrace you, dear brother !
          Take care of yourself, of our mother and father and all our friends...

Your sister,
          Roxanne
          I am beginning to think that the best course of action would be for Emperor Sal to order all of the legions back to where they are supposed to be...or at least to recruit troops in all the provinces. Whatever is done it must be done soon, else we begin to lose bits and pieces of the Empire: Dacia to the barbarians, Judaea to the Jews and religious fanatics, and Rome to the most terrible enemy of all: ANARCHY. Strong leadership is needed from the Emperor; I hope that he will be able to muster what strength he has left, and overcome his current despondency, to lead our Empire once again.

Regards,
          Senator Quintus Vespillo

Comment

Victorious dispatch from Scipius in the east...

Hearing of food shortages brought on by merchant hoarding due to fear & the stranglehold of the traitor Drusus upon the city of Rome... I now return unto Rome 10 credits once required of me and granted from the Treasury of Rome such as to recruit 'locally' while in Parthia as Drusus refused to rally to the defense of Tigranakirt - "exhausted" as he was, and certainly arrayed for the 1st excuse to March/Sail on Rome - leaving only Paulus & myself as certain sacrifice until he was forced by my brother to send Rubinus.

Feasts only satisfy for the day it occurs & are the currency of politicians - not of Generals - Captain Gaius, you will cast open the warehouses & reserves, paying fair price to the owners and direct it properly to our people!

Just as I returned unto Armenia its Treasury, I now return to Rome that which is hers!

Rome is her people!

Victa Roma... there is Peace in the east!
            Originally posted by Stratego
            1st of September 82 A.D.

To Scipius, honorable General of Rome,

Our great King Arcarces III congratulates you as one great statesman and warrior towards another.

You have gained an excellent victory over our forces at Nisibis two weeks ago. Our commander Phraates, who has brought upon this Parthian defeat will be publicly executed on the morrow for the shame he has caused to our countrymen and for fleeing the scene of battle, instead of finding an honorable death on the battlefield.

We Parthians, true warriors in blood and bone, have much respect for the fighting qualities of our enemies and we are not too proud to ask for peace when defeated on campaign.

Therefore we lay our fate in your hands and hope that you will be willing to end the hostilities that has colored our lands red for an entire year and that has caused the death of so many of our sons.

Our king expresses his honest hope that Rome and Parthia will be able to come to a lasting peace, for although we have been enemies, we cannot deny the fact that we are neighbours also…

To prove that our intentions are honest, my generous King would like to suggest a meeting between me, Andragoras, personal diplomat of the King and two of his trusted colleagues, at your camp, amidst your men –armed or not- next week. The Parthian Kingdom truly hopes that you will accept this rendez-vous…

As a token of his goodwill, our king has ordered me to offer you
            10 wealth…not as a bribe, nor as means to rise in your esteem, but for the excellent campaing you have led against the Parthian armies !

Let us end this war now so that both nations may continue our regular day to day business, for the people do not love war, they want to end this costly and bloody affair.

Our Great King salutes thee and hopes for a peaceful settlement between our two nations.

Your servant,
            Andragoras, diplomat of Parthia

All regions east are secure by their Legios!

Victa Roma

Scipius
            General of Rome
            Legatus - Legio IV, Legio XX
            Governor of Cappadocia & Judea
            Supreme Military Commander - Parthia/Armenia
            Guardian of Rome
            Last edited by Admiral; 09 Apr 09, 10:32.
            On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Thanks be to God! Scipius, this is wonderful news. I congratulate you and your fellow generals in the East for forcing the Parthians to beg for peace terms. This will greatly stabilize our Eastern frontier and regions. One less thing we have to worry about with all of the other troubles now faced by Romans...

Considering the successful conclusion of the Parthian Campaign with this, the Parthians' entreaties for peace terms, would it be possible to move some legionaries, even only a cohort's worth, to Judaea, to deal with the growing unrest and impending revolt there? After all, what good will it be to defeat the Parthians, only to have a bloody uprising of Jewish fanatics on our hands, and the revolt of one of our provinces? I believe that Legio XX was originally stationed there, but has been moved because of the civil war...

Regards,
              Senator Quintus Vespillo

Comment

Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post
                Thanks be to God! Scipius, this is wonderful news. I congratulate you and your fellow generals in the East for forcing the Parthians to beg for peace terms. This will greatly stabilize our Eastern frontier and regions. One less thing we have to worry about with all of the other troubles now faced by Romans...

Considering the successful conclusion of the Parthian Campaign with this, the Parthians' entreaties for peace terms, would it be possible to move some legionaries, even only a cohort's worth, to Judaea, to deal with the growing unrest and impending revolt there? After all, what good will it be to defeat the Parthians, only to have a bloody uprising of Jewish fanatics on our hands, and the revolt of one of our provinces? I believe that Legio XX was originally stationed there, but has been moved because of the civil war...

Regards,
                Senator Quintus Vespillo
                Ave Senator Vespillo

Though Parthia has been calmed the security there still hangs in balance.
                there are only so many Legions available, and Parthia is large.
                were we to remove even more Legions from that troubled place, rest assured chaos and revolt will return quickley.

The sooner we can resolve the issues of chaos here in Italia and most specifically Rome, the sooner Proper Legions can be dispatched to areas such as Judea.

Valerius Magnus
                Legate
                BoRG

Comment

I assure you romans that the moment your men set foot in my lands I will break you have forgotten what Arminius did? I assure I will not stop at destroying your legions I will unleash plague and famine on rome, you cannot win you are bled white in Armenia and Persia do you honestly think that the parthians will take that lying down you cannot make peace with each other how do you think you will beat me? All I want is peace for my people and freedom that is what you romans wanted was it not? And so you revolted from the Etruscans and gained the freedom that was rightfully yours I ask only that you do the same for us, there is no need for bloodshed
                  The Napoleonic Era, and WWI and WWII are NOT! the be all, end all of Military History.

Properly trained Cavalry can and will beat the vaunted infantry man

Comment

I am beginning to think that the best course of action would be for Emperor Sal to order all of the legions back to where they are supposed to be...or at least to recruit troops in all the provinces. Whatever is done it must be done soon, else we begin to lose bits and pieces of the Empire: Dacia to the barbarians, Judaea to the Jews and religious fanatics, and Rome to the most terrible enemy of all: ANARCHY. Strong leadership is needed from the Emperor; I hope that he will be able to muster what strength he has left, and overcome his current despondency, to lead our Empire once again.

Regards,
                    Senator Quintus Vespillo
                    Now THERE is a man I would toast to, someone who takes initiative.

Long live Quintus !
                    'Let them hate us so long as they fear us.' Caligula

Comment

Regards,
                      Senator Quintus Vespillo
                      Would that he Could Senator, Would that he could.

For the Emperor to be able to do anything he must first be freed and the order of Rome restored. Of course should that be achieved then many of the forces gathered now in Italia could be dispersed back to their proper assignments.

You display a semblance of honour, surprising considering some of the senators Rome has been plagued with in her past. Perhaps you could take a delegation to the Dacians to determine whether they are worth extending the branch of peace to, or at least presuade Gaius to recind the confinement of our Emperor that he might deal with this and other matters pressing on the fears of all Romans alike.

Valerius Magnus
                      Legate
                      Last edited by Arthwys; 09 Apr 09, 16:14. Reason: punctuation correction
                      BoRG

Comment

There will be no such things. I have consulted and Quintus if you think it worthy have talks with these Dacians If not and they should try to Fight I have strong Faith in General Rubinius as should you.

-Gaius Marius
                        Captain Praetorian Guard
                        Commander Armies in and Around Rome.
                        Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                        I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Patton 7079 View Post
                          There will be no such things. I have consulted and Quintus if you think it worthy have talks with these Dacians If not and they should try to Fight I have strong Faith in General Rubinius as should you.

-Gaius Marius
                          Captain Praetorian Guard
                          Commander Armies in and Around Rome.
                          At least Quintus wants to do something for Rome! Instead of sitting around while Rome crumbles around us...

Comment

It amazes how little attention is payed to facts...

Scipius is Governor of Judea & Cappadoccia!

Rubinus stands firm for Armenia!

The dispatch is clear.

Our Legios leave Parthia in Peace...

They don't just disappear...

The East Is Secure!

Continually fear mongering well after the facts are clear serves no good for Rome beyond the calculating pettiness & politics of fear! Crimes & treason, specifically the charge of them is the domain of magistrates... whoever supports the traitor Drusus and abides his many proven treasonous acts is an enemy of Rome. The same is the truth of Antonius. If the people had felt any different, they would have numbered in the many thousands, not the criminal hundreds all Rome so denied of their goals...

Get on with it!

Last edited by Admiral; 09 Apr 09, 18:36.
                            On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                              It amazes how little attention is payed to facts...

Scipius is Governor of Judea & Cappadoccia.

Rubinus stands firm for Armenia!

The dispatch is clear.

Our Legios leave Parthia in Peace...

They don't just disappear...

The East Is Secure!

Continually fear mongering well after the facts are clear serves no good for Rome beyond the calculating pettiness & politics of fear! Crimes & treason, specifically the charge of them is the domain of magistrates...
                              whoever supports the traitor Drusus and abides his many proven treasonous acts is an enemy of Rome.

The same is the truth of Antonius!

If the people had felt any different, they would have numbered in the many thousands, not the criminal hundreds all Rome so denied of their goals...

Get on with it!

The many thousands WILL come do not worry, IF this civil war does not end soon and if some in power don't take initiative. Blood will flow by the gallons

FURIUS
                              The embodiement of the Anger in the Roman People

Comment

Originally posted by Furius
                                The many thousands WILL come do not worry, IF this civil war does not end soon and if some in power don't take initiative. Blood will flow by the gallons
                                Unfortunate that by your words you already wish & want it so!

I smell the love of traitors & the influence of dishonor...

Not the better interests of the honorable Roman people!

'I fear not the tyrants & pity those that do Citizen of Rome'

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X