X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achtung Baby
    replied
    Rome now comes with hands dabbled with it's own blood,
    it shall be hard to shake hands with it.

A monument for the victory over Parthians
    is on most of our tongues.

- Caecus, concerned citizen.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Admiral
    Better such wealth be spent such that the people might celebrate total Victory over Romes gravest enemy - Parthia
    This gets my vote. Sal is Emperor, Parthia is the enemy, what more need be said.

Humble Bardus

Leave a comment:

• Alexander
    replied
    Originally posted by Stratego View Post
    15th (the Ides) of September 82 AD

Rome...The Senate

Amidst the Senate, the voices fill the great space with a hum as that great elected body has returned to its business. The senate is once again in order and the Emperor has been restored!
    A feel of optimism and purpose flows throughout the chamber.

Rome, though shaken by the unrest and violence carries on as best she can.

While this first session of the newly restored Senate proceeds, the energy is high and the optimism among the Senators soars. As Senator Quintus stands to make announcement and thanks for the mercy granted to the Christians by Emperor Salinatorius, the great doors of the chamber are opened to admit a figure who drags himself as though in the throes of exhaustion to the center of the chamber.

Dressed in the remains of what was once finery, his shoulders slumped like they bear great weight, this figure of a man shuffles to the centre of the floor where he displaces Quintus, who reacts more with surprise than displeasure, backing away and leaving the floor to this stranger.

He is the focus for all attention as around him sit the Senate itself, and the Emperor sits before him. He stands where the great beam of the Sun shines down though the Oculus to Wreath him in its brilliance.

“Noble Senators! Most Devine Emperor! I bring to you tidings of Grief and pain! Hear me! for I am Ambosianus Leto! And bear witness to Chaos!”

The name begins the ripple of whispers throughout the chamber as it is passed from voice to voice.
    At the same time, the Guards that are supposed to protect the Curia for unannounced visitors erupt onto the scene. With a simple sign of the hand, the Emperor refrains them from carrying the man away.

“Hear Me oh voices of the Roman people! A Darkness comes bringing savagery and suffering! And Dacia is engulfed in Horror!”

“You see before you a ragged beggar! In truth my caravans used to number Scores of wagons! My goods sold and sent for across the known World! Aye even beyond the periphery of the Empire! but it is gone and you see before you now a beggar! where once I held licence and title from the Emperor himself!”

The Emperor Sits upon his throne, his full attention on this man before him. Eyes piercing like that of an Eagle look into Letos’ eyes. The right hand cupping his noble chin, as the left supports the elbow.

“Speak plainly Noble Leto. I recognise you, though barely. What Horror is it that threatens Dacia?”

Drawing himself up to his full height he looks back at is Emperor with eyes hollow and haunted.

“Dacia is LOST! From the North came a host, massive in numbers! They put to the torch all that can be burned! And put to the sword any who resist or question!

The garrisons have been destroyed! Towns and villages are being wiped from the earth, and their occupants flee south to Rome! Behind me the roads are choked with refugees! Thousands of them are uprooted!

Lysurgus is the name riding the winds of destruction! They say it is the name of their leader, and this Lysurgus is brutal and implacable in his methods.

He has claimed Dacia for his own, and made headway to accomplish it!
    No legions now exist in the province, for they have either been destroyed or drawn into his ranks which swell with every discontented man! and there are many of that stripe given the upheavals recently!

Captured Eagles are mounted at his vanguard! and this Lysurgus challenges Rome at turn!
    I Ambosianus Leto bring your these warnings! And repeat the warning: Dacia is LOST!”

The once wealthy merchant sinks to the floor of the Senate chamber which is encapsulated now in an ominous silence. The Senators stare at the collapsed figure of their harbinger, drained of all strength. His words echo in their minds, the warning clear.
    Then all eyes as one, turn to the Emperor, wondering;

What will he do?
    What will Rome do?

-A watcher in the Senate

Thank you Arthwys for this fine storytelling...
    I have attempted to negotiate with Lysurgus, but with everything I have going on in real life right now, esp. my current sickness and preparations for an upcoming college road trip, I haven't had hardly any time to devote to SPQR.

It appears as though I don't need to continue negotiations with the Dacians, however, as they've already seized by force what their rapacious hearts desired, and have flaunted and disdained both the diplomacy and the military force of Rome. Ah me, the stupidity of some people...they will soon learn what happens to those who violently oppose Rome with no regard to the customs, laws, and order of civilization.

Also, allow me to take this brief moment of time I possess to thank the illustrious Emperor Salinatorius for his recent just, wise, and kind decree regarding Christians. I am overjoyed and extremely grateful to learn that no more of my fellow Christians will be slaughtered in the arena.

Regards,
    Senator Quintus Vespillo

Leave a comment:

• Arthwys
    replied
    Originally posted by Patton 7079 View Post
    In these trying times with a Traitor on the throne and traitors running the senate and army I ask the people to move with me and make one of the last honorable Romans ProConsul.

Scipius shall you accept this challenge.
    I will stand for the noble Scipius should he accept the honour, and should it be the will of the Emperor.

Valerius Magnus
    Legate
    Legios VI Felix, X Rufus Commanding

Leave a comment:

• Patton 7079
    replied
    In these trying times with a Traitor on the throne and traitors running the senate and army I ask the people to move with me and make one of the last honorable Romans ProConsul.

Scipius shall you accept this challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    Better such wealth be spent such that the people might celebrate total Victory over Romes gravest enemy - Parthia - than to continually rub their faces in the certain & incredulous pomposity of one party in bloody divisions among fellow Romans!

It is to the people to declare Scipius' Proconsul such that the celebration might occur!

Victa Roma

Lowly Citizen of Rome from the streets

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Yes We Can

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Senators of Rome!

Let it be known, that Legions of Rome have voted and they have seen fit to award General Drusus with the Corona Obsidionalis, the highest award ever to be given, and only by the will of the soldiers.

Hail Drusus!!!
    I cannot think of a more deserving Roman than Drusus. His bravery is second only to his loyalty to the Empire.

This award will have a new standard of achievement from this day...

I had planned to ask the People of Rome to build a monument to Drusus, so that all might understand his contributions. What better time than now?

People of Rome, and Senators..., will you honor the Hero Drusus with structure of proper importance for his deeds?

Surely he has earned a simple lot of stone at the cost of a few coins, hasn't he?

Who will donate 1 wealth point to this monument? I pledge the first, which leaves at least 4 more points of wealth to raise...

~Senator Antonius "Fat Tony" Soprano III~

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    As the Emperor returns to his seat after his last remarks, two Praetorian Guards leads an army officer to the Emperor. The Emperor, always interested in his Legions and People, listened eagerly as the officer spoke softly by his ear.

Waving the Praetorians and officer aside, the Emperor bounds foward to the Senate floor........

Senators of Rome!

Let it be known, that Legions of Rome have voted and they have seen fit to award General Drusus with the Corona Obsidionalis, the highest award ever to be given, and only by the will of the soldiers.

Hail Drusus!!!

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Senators of Rome,

The Emperor has spoken with Radulf, The Great King of the Brave and Proud Tungrii.

Although details are still unclear, it is the belief of the Emperor that promises made to the Tungrii by others while the Emperor was indisposed were not honored. Furthermore, it appears that Governor Publicus may have exploited the Tungrii, forcing them to take side against the Empire or to suffer death.

King Radulf has promised to pull back his fierce warriors in return for the completion of food and aid as promised by Rome previously.

The Emperor decrees that Decimus and Legio VIII Macedonia stand down until further notice. Rest assured that there are already Roman forces enroute. Rome will stand by it's agreements, and will enforce any breach of it.

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied
    Greetings Romans!

We are pleased to have heard that Emperor Sal has once more ascended his rightful throne and that stability has once more come over Roman lands and the Roman people.

It is our fervent hope that peace will once more reign supreme and the forces of division have been silenced.

We hereby present this gift of amber, herring and strudel.

Long live Emperor Sal

Wulfirdus
    Special envoy of the Tungrii

Leave a comment:

• allsirgarnet
    replied
    Senator G. Aelius Fortis slowly stands and in a measured voice states...

Most Divine Emperor, most noble Senators.

In times long past it has been my honour to serve Rome and her people. During this service I was for a time stationed in Naissus and thus I know of the lands there about.

The old man pauses to take a breath.

I would judge that the Danubius will for a time act as a shield for Rome. Long enough for her to act in her defence. However, the key question is once the shield is breached, in which direction will our enemies next blow fall?

A further pause as the tired eyes close in thought.

Two thrusts suggest themselves as logical. West through Naissus into Illyricum. South through Philippopolis into Thrace and beyond. Each would be deadly to Rome.

The old eyes glint as they open.

I suggest the following strategy. The garrisons of Moesia, Eastern Dalmatia and Thrace be withdraw to Macedonia. As this progresses, swift cavalry forces be sent to observe the progress of our enemy and to see in which direction he makes his attack. Finally, that the bulk of our Legion forces cross the sea to Macedonia. Then with our armies assembled in the latter province, we can swiftly move against the enemy, and then judging the time rightly, attack him from the rear and defeat him. Thus defeated, deep in our territory with our Legions across his line of retreat, he must surely be destroyed.

This I would advise as our best recourse of action.

With a slight head bow, the old man sits down to await the Senates response.

Recorded for the personal history of G. Aelius Fortis, by his scribe Masticatus.

Leave a comment:

• Arthwys
    replied
    My pleasure, glad to assist the master

Leave a comment:

• Stratego
    replied
    15th (the Ides) of September 82 AD

Rome...The Senate

Amidst the Senate, the voices fill the great space with a hum as that great elected body has returned to its business. The senate is once again in order and the Emperor has been restored!
    A feel of optimism and purpose flows throughout the chamber.

Rome, though shaken by the unrest and violence carries on as best she can.

While this first session of the newly restored Senate proceeds, the energy is high and the optimism among the Senators soars. As Senator Quintus stands to make announcement and thanks for the mercy granted to the Christians by Emperor Salinatorius, the great doors of the chamber are opened to admit a figure who drags himself as though in the throes of exhaustion to the center of the chamber.

Dressed in the remains of what was once finery, his shoulders slumped like they bear great weight, this figure of a man shuffles to the centre of the floor where he displaces Quintus, who reacts more with surprise than displeasure, backing away and leaving the floor to this stranger.

He is the focus for all attention as around him sit the Senate itself, and the Emperor sits before him. He stands where the great beam of the Sun shines down though the Oculus to Wreath him in its brilliance.

“Noble Senators! Most Devine Emperor! I bring to you tidings of Grief and pain! Hear me! for I am Ambosianus Leto! And bear witness to Chaos!”

The name begins the ripple of whispers throughout the chamber as it is passed from voice to voice.
    At the same time, the Guards that are supposed to protect the Curia for unannounced visitors erupt onto the scene. With a simple sign of the hand, the Emperor refrains them from carrying the man away.

“Hear Me oh voices of the Roman people! A Darkness comes bringing savagery and suffering! And Dacia is engulfed in Horror!”

“You see before you a ragged beggar! In truth my caravans used to number Scores of wagons! My goods sold and sent for across the known World! Aye even beyond the periphery of the Empire! but it is gone and you see before you now a beggar! where once I held licence and title from the Emperor himself!”

The Emperor Sits upon his throne, his full attention on this man before him. Eyes piercing like that of an Eagle look into Letos’ eyes. The right hand cupping his noble chin, as the left supports the elbow.

“Speak plainly Noble Leto. I recognise you, though barely. What Horror is it that threatens Dacia?”

Drawing himself up to his full height he looks back at is Emperor with eyes hollow and haunted.

“Dacia is LOST! From the North came a host, massive in numbers! They put to the torch all that can be burned! And put to the sword any who resist or question!

The garrisons have been destroyed! Towns and villages are being wiped from the earth, and their occupants flee south to Rome! Behind me the roads are choked with refugees! Thousands of them are uprooted!

Lysurgus is the name riding the winds of destruction! They say it is the name of their leader, and this Lysurgus is brutal and implacable in his methods.

He has claimed Dacia for his own, and made headway to accomplish it!
    No legions now exist in the province, for they have either been destroyed or drawn into his ranks which swell with every discontented man! and there are many of that stripe given the upheavals recently!

Captured Eagles are mounted at his vanguard! and this Lysurgus challenges Rome at turn!
    I Ambosianus Leto bring your these warnings! And repeat the warning: Dacia is LOST!”

The once wealthy merchant sinks to the floor of the Senate chamber which is encapsulated now in an ominous silence. The Senators stare at the collapsed figure of their harbinger, drained of all strength. His words echo in their minds, the warning clear.
    Then all eyes as one, turn to the Emperor, wondering;

What will he do?
    What will Rome do?

-A watcher in the Senate

Thank you Arthwys for this fine storytelling...
    Last edited by Stratego; 21 Apr 09, 13:43.

Leave a comment:

• Arthwys
    replied
    Originally posted by Admiral View Post
    Senators...

Would it be not wise to remove the dead carcass of Karma from these premises before General Scipius wrecks this place in grief & retrieval of it?

Common custodial servant of Rome
    The corpse of Karma?

he ate the beans didn't he?

Clovis! we warned you about the beans!

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    Senators...

Would it be not wise to remove the dead carcass of Karma from these premises before General Scipius wrecks this place in grief & retrieval of it?

Common custodial servant of Rome

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X