Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?

Karma,

Thank you for your continued correspondence. Please give my regards to General Scipio.

I will review the threads of previous Gameturns...but one thing I do know for certain: what is occuring now within the Roman Empire is indeed civil war. We have Roman mobs fighting the Praetorian Guard, and Roman armies under Drusus and Gaius fighting each other. This may not constitute civil strife in your book, but it does in my copy of Websterus' Unabridged Dictionarium de Latin, Editio Quattordecim (14th Edition), on pagus CXXVII
    (127):

- civil war; in Latin, bellum civium (behl-lum chivvium), meaning war of the citizens.

Definition: an armed conflict fought between members of the same country, nation, or government.

Regards, your fellow Roman "citizen,"
    Senator Quintus Vespillo

Comment

Does not recent proof exist of exactly who sought ambush of who?

Does any decree of Gaius or Scipius exist that would bring Roman Legios within the walls of Rome except to repel & defend the city of Rome proper from such Legios that would attack it to draw first blood in Civil War?

Is not the First Legio upon Legio extraction of Roman blood staining the hands of Drusus - foremost of any other?

I submit that Drusus first decree of himself as Emperor occurred before any mention of the death of Scipius brother - in fact, the only mention & defacto claim of it (later to be mistakenly repeated by a Senator as part of rumor) has been by Drusus in the exercise of his proclamation. The heralding of him as Emperor by his Legios was well after ample proof that Salinatorius lives had been made!

I also submit that Drusus so treacherously wishes total power over Rome that he WISHES that Salinatorius were dead by the hands of those which stand against him & Salinatoriius living presents a complete hindrance to Drusus' designs beyond what little claim of 'salvation' he might yet offer him.

I make no claim of innocence or guilt in Salinatorius activities & alliances as Emperor, but I do know that his alliances do & did not serve him or his people any honor or justice by virtue of the many intrigues & treacheries visited upon the general population of Rome by many parties which lit the fires of Rome for cover of their own guilts. I, myself, tend to believe that Scipius brother was fully & insidiously seduced by such filth that would see him dead at the first opportunity to be seen as legitimate 'heir' to all power in Rome. That Scipius brother lives, even though his death would conveniently clear the path to any that would assume it by any or all unjust & un-Roman means, is ample proof of the intentions & proper desires of those charged with lawful justice & order in Rome - Captain Gaius... & by his decreed source of advice, direction, & moral authority fully independent of ALL parties manuevering for ultimate power in Rome - Legatus Scipius.

All that has ever been required of any parties so accused of abuse, treachery, treason, & impropriatey against the people of Rome is their answering for the charges before Roman Magistrate... in that all now under certain charge of such criminalities avoid any chance or opportunity to properly defend themselves of such charge before a legal Roman Magistrate - choosing instead to foment & visit impending civil war within the city of Rome itself - begs to indicate that they all generally have to much to lose, & nothing to gain by their honorable & just exercise of it!

Drusus has tipped his hand & now sits squarely within a trap of his own making... better he surrender now, for he shall certainly pay the Gods of Rome for his treason & vile heart very soon.

Just another day under threat of traitors citizen of Rome.
      On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

On the Evening of 28 August 82.....................

Sobs and tearful moaning echos throughout the Imperial Palace. The Praetorian Guards are bewildered! Emperor Sal has demanded a Gladius!

As the night draws to an end, and morning arrives, Sal wonders between the food servant quarters and the galley, now the extent of his liberties allowed by Gaius.

Denied of his purple robes and dressed in the one single white Toga alloted to him, now frayed and tattered, but still carefully mended and well washed by his loyal servants, Emperor Sal is saddened by the lost of Roman lives.

"Gaius, give Rome back to the people" He is heard to mumble over and over.
        Last edited by Salinator; 06 Apr 09, 06:53.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

The Gods and Mithras in particular are saddened by the recent events. The spiritual health of the Emperor is of deep concern to me. He being by the Gods.

He has been denied the right to worship, and this denial is an insult to the Gods themselves! I am commanded to bring the word of the Gods to him and to help him to spiritually prepare for the end that comes near. His will to persevere wanes, and he must be made ready to make his journey if that is the path he has chosen. I will perform the rituals necessary for this preparation.

Comment

Oh Great Argus, Bring me peace, for I can no longer bear the suffering of my people.....................

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I have no denied him the Right to Worship.

Argus you cannot fabricate the truth to serve your own.

-Gaius
              Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
              I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

It was Gaius who drew first Roman-on-Roman blood when the Legio II Augustus under Aurelianus Rusticus under the order of Gaius turned against Legio IX Victrix in Brittanica 2 weeks ago.

Legio Felix under the command of Valerius Magnus crossed the Rubicon by order of Gaius. That is against Roman Law. FATE himself said that Legio Felix will enter Rome on August 28. FATE can only know this if it was ordered! Drusus had been at Ostia for weeks. If he had intended to march on Rome, he would have done it instantly, before the arrival of opposing forces. Drusus had no choice but to defend Rome.

Gaius is now accused of both crossing the Rubicon purposefully and attacking a fellow legion in Brittanica (Legio IX Victrix). If he does not disband his legions near Rome and stand trial now, he will only be judged by FATE in this war against Drusus and the Roman people!
                "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

Originally posted by TankBrigade View Post
                  It was Gaius who drew first Roman-on-Roman blood when the Legio II Augustus under Aurelianus Rusticus under the order of Gaius turned against Legio IX Victrix in Brittanica 2 weeks ago.

Legio Felix under the command of Valerius Magnus crossed the Rubicon by order of Gaius. That is against Roman Law. FATE himself said that Legio Felix will enter Rome on August 28. FATE can only know this if it was ordered! Drusus had been at Ostia for weeks. If he had intended to march on Rome, he would have done it instantly, before the arrival of opposing forces. Drusus had no choice but to defend Rome.

Gaius is now accused of both crossing the Rubicon purposefully and attacking a fellow legion in Brittanica (Legio IX Victrix). If he does not disband his legions near Rome and stand trial now, he will only be judged by FATE in this war against Drusus and the Roman people!
                  Very true, very true...good points.

While, IMHO at least, a case can be made for Drusus bringing his army to Rome, I wonder if Gaius would explain exactly why he summoned legions from the provinces of the Empire and ordered them to do all that was necessary--even cut down fellow Roman soldiers who stood in their path and remained loyal to the Emperor--in order to reach and enter Rome? Why was this necessary? What occurred to warrant this? Why has he drawn first blood in this civil war? Here I a simply searching for an answer, not asking empty rhetorical questions...this has me very puzzled.

How can a Roman do such a thing? Were the life and liberty of the people of Rome--the true heart of Rome and the Empire--threatened or at stake? I think not.

Regards,
                  Senator Quintus Vespillo

Comment

Who would call Drusus a Liberator?
                    One who had not experienced his treachery!

What else can be said of one who attacks a Roman Legion at night while on March!

I have heard much wind generated by those in Rome carrying words of worry and fear. Yea and sounds of anger and condemnation that Legio VI has 'Crossed the Rubicon'

May it be reminded of those spreading False fears that Legio VI is assigned to the Defense of Italia. My Legion is proscribed from Leaving the bounds of this land, to Cross to the north of that point is abandonment of it's post and duties as defined by the word of The Emperor.

Italia is it's juriscdction, and under lawful orders marched to Rome.

While on march, at night as previously mentioned Drusus marched North of Rome and with 4 Legios at his disposal attacked without provocation the VIth Legio as it made it's way to it's assigned duty station.

The bodies of 5000 Loyal Romans lay dead in proof of this action, and Graphic proof of the actions of Drusus. Attacked prior to even having Parley.

This is the act of a Liberator? waylayed without cause?
                    I have given Drusus no threat up to this time.

Even the Collegiates of Rome will talk before going about their dirty business.

What gutter-dropped spawn is it that makes war at night, on Romes roads, against lawfully engaged soldier of the Empire and calls himself liberator?

The VIth was not destroyed however, and Drusus has made an action which demands consequenses.

Drusus, your foul actions and the Death of my troops shall be laid at your feet, and your head shall lay at mine.

By Mithras I swear it.

Valerius Magnus
                    Legatus
                    Legio VI Felix
                    BoRG
                    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

An unexpected visitor on the senate's floor !!!

9 P.M., 29TH of August, 82 A.D.

The Forum Romanum has been very quiet lately, in fact the entire capital city seems to be deserted once the daylight has faded past the horizon. The nightlife that has once given Rome such a wild and lively reputation has now completey dissipated. In fact, in comparison to only a month ago, Rome now seems to be a giant tomb.

It is therefore that a mysterious group of 30 men,trotting past the many alleys and streets on horseback, covered in red cloaks catches the attention of the Romans that find themselves brave enough to wonder the streets at night. The group is stopped by the suspicious Praetorians on guard in the nightly city - not once, but twice - yet everytime, the veterans seem to be overwhelmed and are quickly ordered to carry on their business when the main man of the group shows himself.
                      Who could this figure be, surrounded and guarded by these seasoned officers?
                      Unopposed, they continue through the squares and across the Forum Romanum to finall arrive at the political heart of Rome: the senate !

Although not the most busiest time of day at nightfall, many of the most prominent senators are present: Flavian, Verus, Quintus and Honorius…all safely guarded by the Praetorians of Captain Gaius around the Curia so that no harm will we be inflicted on them.
                      When the men in cloaks enter the senate unannounced, the politicians gathered, in the middle of a discussion, look indignant towards the group, wondering how they dare to walk in without having being called upon. Senator Lucius is the first to take the word, urging the cloaked men to show themselves, and questioning the Praetorians that accompany them, why they were let in without the senate’s consent…

However, Senator Lucius’ accusing voice falls still when the man in the center of the group marches forward and pulls down the cloak covering his face…the traits of an old man is soon revealed, the wisdom in his eyes, the determined yet disappointed expression on his mouth and the wrinkles of his aged face soon turn the senator’s complexions pale and make them speechless. They do not believe their eyes...many wondering if it is a ghost that stands before them…for this man they recognize all too well, it is General Paulus !!!!

Greets,
                      FATE
                      Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

In Response.

-To the incident in Britannia. The Legion was ordered to March, no orders where left to engage any Roman Legions not under Command of Drusus.

-For Felix Crossing the Rubicon. The orders where given as soon as I had intel that Drusus was sailing for Rome to have forces availible to crush this tratior with.

Nay it is he who had drawn first blood by leaving his comrads behind. It is he who declared himself emperor and claimed Sal was dead with out provocation or proof in any capacity.

General Paulus.
                        Greetings I think we must talk.

Gaius Marius
                        Captain Praetorian Guard
                        General Felix Legion
                        Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me

Comment

Rome
                          29 August 82 A.D.

Senators, Soldiers, and Citizens of Rome:

News has reached me of the recent victory of General Drusus over Legio VI Felix under the command of Legate Valerius Magnus, which was en route to Rome under orders from Captain Gaius of the Praetorians.

While, as a member of the Imperial Party, I am naturally a bit relieved to hear of this, my feelings are far more of anguish at the deaths of so many--7,000--of my countrymen and Roman brethren. Sorrow, and a pious remembrance of the dead, currently dominate my thoughts and attitude, far more than any feelings of joy or exuberance over the fall of me enemies, feelings which some would naturally suspect I might have.

We CANNOT and must not forget that we are currently fighting a civil war, one that pits brother against brother, father against son, son against uncle, brother-in-law against brother-in-law, father-in-law against son-in-law---but above all, Roman against Roman. Ultimately any victory for either side is a defeat for Rome. We CANNOT allow ourselves to forget this, nor to grow complacent of this harsh fact. We CANNOT allow ourselves to gloat in triumph over our fellow Romans. It is compassion, and sorrow for the dead, that are needed right now. Supporters of Rome's leader and rightful ruler Emperor Sal may be tempted to celebrate the recent defeat of Legio VI and Valerius; but we must steadfastly resist this temptation. Giving into it will only lead to a sharpening of the current division, more civil war, more suffering, more death, and ultimately a weaker Empire. Peace must be brought about, and soon.

And thus I appeal to Gaius, Valerius, Torienus, and all members of the Senatorial Party: please, end this civil war. It is in your power to do so. Submit yourselves to the authority of the Emperor, for the good of the Empire and the good or your fellow Romans. Let all of us--regardless of rank or position or wealth--submit ourselves to the verdict of justice and stand trial for our various actions; but please, let us end this civil war, which is rapidly growing worse and, if unresolved, will most assuredly cause the implosion of our fair Empire. Rome will crumble into the dust, unstable from within and pressured by her enemies from without. The Parthians and Gauls can only grow more confident and brash seeing our current civil and political instability.

I stand with the people of Rome. The people of Rome have demanded Emperor Sal's release, and I heartily agree with them. The people of Rome have demanded an end to this civil war. The grumbling and complaining, the wailing and anguish are growing exponentially---and, at the same time, everything is silent. The silence of fear. The silence of death. The sound of silence. This must end.

The people of Rome have also spoken many times in favor of General Paulus, whom I am glad to hear is alive and well.

Please, members of the Senatorial Party, swallow your pride and submit yourselves to the authority of the Emperor. I am praying for a successful conclusion to the civil war...but I warn you, if you will not listen to reason, or yield to lawful authority--the basis of all government and the stability of our Empire--then this civil war must and will continue. While I will certainly try to save your lives and will intercede for you should you come out on the losing side, I cannot promise anything....

NOW is the time for serious deliberation, contemplation, and self-examination. NOW is the time to end this civil war.

As an aside, thank you Praetorians for your continued loyal service in protecting us.

Regards,
                          Senator Quintus Vespillo
                          Member, Imperial Party
                          Proud Christian
                          Loyal Friend of Rome
                          Trustworthy and Honest Politician (no, this is not necessarily an oxymoron! )

Comment

I do not answer to your Emperor.

You speak treason. the people of Rome are not against us of the tens of thousands of residents in the city only 2k of them formed a mob. I am not the one who visited war or hostilites on anyone.

My Praetorians where attacked you would no this if you red the events of that night.

and Legio VI only engaged Drusus after themselves being attacked. I have never issued and Order for war but of Defense.

It is you who Want a war. Now I say think wisely of your next moves or it may be a war you shall have.

I wanted Trials and peace, which where being organized until things hadto be put on hold when Drusus arrived. if he had not come this would have been over by now.

-Gaius Marius
                            Captain Praetorian Guard
                            General Felix Legion
                            Friend of all TRUE Romans

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                              On the Evening of 28 August 82.....................

Sobs and tearful moaning echos throughout the Imperial Palace. The Praetorian Guards are bewildered! Emperor Sal has demanded a Gladius!

As the night draws to an end, and morning arrives, Sal wonders between the food servant quarters and the galley, now the extent of his liberties allowed by Gaius.

Denied of his purple robes and dressed in the one single white Toga alloted to him, now frayed and tattered, but still carefully mended and well washed by his loyal servants, Emperor Sal is saddened by the lost of Roman lives.

"Gaius, give Rome back to the people" He is heard to mumble over and over.
                              I will not Refuse any Roman the right to take his own life. if this is what he wants I shall let him choose the gladius. (I have quite a fine selection)

Comment

Originally posted by Patton 7079 View Post
                                I do not answer to your Emperor.

You speak treason. the people of Rome are not against us of the tens of thousands of residents in the city only 2k of them formed a mob. I am not the one who visited war or hostilites on anyone.

My Praetorians where attacked you would no this if you red the events of that night.

and Legio VI only engaged Drusus after themselves being attacked. I have never issued and Order for war but of Defense.

It is you who Want a war. Now I say think wisely of your next moves or it may be a war you shall have.

I wanted Trials and peace, which where being organized until things hadto be put on hold when Drusus arrived. if he had not come this would have been over by now.

-Gaius Marius
                                Captain Praetorian Guard
                                General Felix Legion
                                Friend of all TRUE Romans
                                Captain Gaius,

While I will admit that the mob attacked you and your Praetorians first, accosting you with stones, your claim about only recalling legions for defensive purposes rings hollow, and I find it hard to swallow. What occurred that caused Rome to need any more defense than that offered by your loyal Praetorian guardsmen? Who was the enemy you needed to defend against?

While it may originally have been Drusus you feared, this cannot be the case anymore. He has clearly and openly renounced the claim to the Purple previously put forward by his soldiers. He no longer desires to be Emperor....if indeed he ever desire to be Emperor at all. Thus, you can no longer consider him a usurper and enemy of Rome. If you wish to personally regard him as such, that is your call.

As the leader of the Praetorian Guard, you have solemnly sworn to protect and defend the Emperor at all times...yet why then do you refused to set him free? I hope it is because you fear harm may come to him should he be released from the Palace...I pray that it is not a more sinister motive.

And why are you so willing and eager to allow him to take his own life with one of your personal gladii? Why are you not instead trying to prevent him from taking his life?

I still have not received a straightforward answer to this question: What exactly has Emperor Sal done that you no longer recognize him as the true Emperor and the just authority in Rome? As you yourself have stated, you "do not recognize your Emperor." Who then do you recognize?

Also, if you truly wished to try the Emperor peacefully, and bring him to justice for his alleged wrongdoings, why have you failed to do so? You have the support of your own Praetorians (I would hope), some of the Senate, and--at least in your estimation--the vast majority of Rome's civilians. Thus, if you had chosen to try the Emperor, there would have been little to stop you. So I am puzzled by your failure to conduct the trials you so adamantly and eagerly desire. Conditions for doing so were near perfect until the recent arrival of the "traitor" Drusus; until then, you had no one capable of defying or threatening you militarily. You had complete control of Rome, save for the mob which was quickly dispersed. Your failure to try the Emperor, his continued captivity, and yet in the midst of this all your assertion that you have always desire to simply try the Emperor--all this is an enigma to me.

As for Drusus, do not blame this on him. As with any man, even my closest friends, I cannot discern his true and deepest intentions and desires...I am not omniscient. Yet I truly feel that he has the good of Rome and the good of the Emperor at heart, and thus I support him, despite his abandonment of the East. I will continue to support him as long as he acts in an honest and just manner and supports the Emperor.

As for myself, and the grave charges you make against my person, I have this to say:

I have done nothing wrong so far and have nothing to hide. I do not want civil war. I was not a politician of any note or status until very recently. This civil war has been thrust upon me; indeed, all of the intrigue and strife currently happening has been thrust upon me. None of it was of my making.

Being inexperienced I was fearful of remaining neutral. Thus I dutifully investigated the actions and stances of both sides, Senatorial and Imperial to see who was in the right, or at least most in the right. My conclusion and choice has been the Imperial Party, and it is with the Emperor that I will stand. I hope that the Senate, military, and people of Rome will choose to do the same. Regardless of one's personal political opinions I beg everyone to stand by Emperor Sal, our true leader and Emperor.

If any errors or discrepancies exist thus far in my speeches. I apologize for those. I have tried to catch up on past events but due to the size and scope of the game and to the fact that I am entering this at the climax of all of the plotting, things can be very confusing for me at times. I need to review past Gameturn threads that I have not already viewed and will do so ASAP. However, I think that any minor errors can be ignored in light of the overall message I am trying to put forward.

Emperor Sal: hang in there. Refrain from taking your life. It is my firm hope that things will very shortly improve. If not, then your life is in your own hands..I pray that even then you will not make any rash decisions...

And yes, I am a true friend of the Romans...at least those Romans who wish to obey and recognize the lawful authority of the current Emperor, whatever they may personally think about him.

Again, please thank your Praetorians for their continued security services.

Regards,
                                Senator Quintus Vespillo
                                Member, Imperial Party,
                                Proud Christian
                                Loyal Friend of Rome

Post Script: Something needs to be done about the terrible situation with the food supply of Rome, which is currently almost nonexistent. If no one else will step in to ensure that the people of Rome, who already have sufficient troubles and burdens, have enough to eat, then I will consider using some of my own money to hold a feast for as many people as I can, if this is at all possible. If I choose to do this it will be done out of charity and concern, not out of any desire to gain power and rule the mobs...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X