No announcement yet.

SPQR Gameturn 9 !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Except that your supposition of Scipius intentions were entirely wrong.

If I had not stood & stayed the hands of others with which I had no bindings, but seemingly some moral persuasion, that sought my brothers, the Emperor, death, he would have most certainly & easily have been dead. My only ambition in declining being named Emperor in any capacity when such notions arose on occasion, instead assuming the mantle of Guardian of Rome while in the field & yet afar while yet engaged against Parthia & others sought the circumstances to make their play for power in Rome, was strictly such as to preserve the life of my brother. Had I not been poisoned, I would still have held for his remaining Emperor, had he moderated his allegiances & genuinely stood solely for his people, instead of with his backstreet alliances which actually held him down far more than had he stepped properly to the center & above the evils swirling around him. But had he done that, there is no doubt in my mind that his former allies would have done all to off him. As it is, purely as a factor of gaming, he remained true to his alliances & won. For a game, that is a goal above most others.

No hatin, twas a great game & I have no qualms in standing behind my own strivance for actual justice & prosperity of the People of Rome > the greatest of Rome being her People, not her Government.

You'll find no lies told by me, generally only what I would & did do, occasionally punctuated by silence of things better left to their own reveals.

You'll also find that I courted nobody & worked strictly with them that truly sought to honorably work with me.

Perfection? Pfft, there is & never has been, nor never will be such a thing in treachery & civil war.

But a fine round it was for a game, to be sure.

Marcus Scipius Flavius Brittanicus, Governor of Cappadoccia, Governor of Judea, Liberator of Armenia, Conqueror of Parthia............. Scipius Parthicus - Legatus, Guardian of Rome
    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• I never thought Scipius was a real threat, I just wanted to make the distraction complete...

I also thought for sure this was the round I would die in. I barely escape round eight, if I recall correctly. And seven was a stress, too.
      "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• The greatest thrill of the entire game for me was the continuous intrigue...

I somehow doubt any other will ever come half way close.

As for threat... there was no such thing, only Scipius as he was.

A simple son of Rome & no more.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral View Post
          The greatest thrill of the entire game for me was the continuous intrigue...

I somehow doubt any other will ever come half way close.

As for threat... there was no such thing, only Scipius as he was.

A simple son of Rome & no more.

It was without question the coolest game I ever played, hands down.

Everybody played their hearts out, good game by all.

And, of course, the game was conducted by a mastermind genius...
          Last edited by Paul Mann III; 27 Mar 13, 02:09.
          "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
            It was without question the coolest game I ever played, hands down.

Everybody played their hearts out, good game by all.

And, of course, the game was conducted by a mastermind genius...
            Completely agree. SPQR was why I had finally stopped lurking and actually became a member (so, yes all the SPQR-ers are to blame for my presence)

IMHO there has never been another game on ACG to equal it since (though Strats' French revolution came closest)
            BoRG
            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• Then your supposition of The Emperor is also wrong. He favored Rome above all else and accepted into His Circle only those willing to lay down their lives for Rome first, team victory second, and Emperor third. One may not agree what was best for Rome, but that is a reflection of politics and not dedication nor patriotism. As Emperor, there was information from FATE that were only for His Eyes.

Neither The Emperor or any of his close allies were the first to scheme and plot. They resisted and played the game that was dealt. There was hesitance to even do any "fighting back" until perhaps Gameturn 3.

Immediately in Gameturn 1, at least 5 plots against The Emperor was uncovered, including:
              1) An attempt to bribe the Praetorian Guard. If that is not a serious threat, what is is?
              2) A collusion by Senator(s) to reduce the power of The Emperor by having all Imperial matters go through the Senate for approval. The Emperor chose to defend current Roman laws as established by Caesar Augustus.
              3) A collusion by Senator(s) to eliminate the office of The Empire. What would that accomplish except for another Social War, Civil War, and another power struggle among generals?
              4) A collusion by General(s) to march on Rome to overthrow The Emperor and then fight decide later who would take The Crown. Really? The Imperial Group is guilty of resisting that?
              5) A Senator colluded with a General to discredit The Emperor by fabricating false charges and perhaps inciting rebellion in a province. Really? The Emperor is not supposed to fight against that in The Name and Glory of Rome?

The Imperials never wanted battle against Gaius and Valerius. Instead of marching on Rome and liberating The Emperor, Drusus was ordered to stand down and not cross the Rubicon as per Roman law. His order was to engage only to defend Rome. That he did, after Valerius first crossed the Rubicon enroute to Rome under Gaius' order..............AFTER Gaius had ordered the massacre of Roman citizens.

-Salinatorius of Rome
              Last edited by Salinator; 28 Mar 13, 01:40.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• As with all things political & otherwise, there is always at least 2 sides to every story & the truth is almost always somewhere other than just those sides, most often somewhere between. But that never stops most from seeing & believing themselves most holy & divine in their view of how things were, are & oughta be, enh.

My suppositions were precisely based upon my perceptions, as were your own - absolutely not one iota more. That makes neither or any of us fully right or wrong, only convinced by our own sentiments with which everyone will never agree simply by virtue of the nature of humans. NOBODY in this game was without blood on their hands, nor was all of the blood on any of our hands righteous in its taking. It was a game, thankfully. And your part, like mine, as with all other players, ended when winners were declared.

The rest is just simple sentimentalities for a time, endeavour & adventure played out & in all likelihoods, never again the likes to be seen by any of us.

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                  ...The Imperials never wanted battle against Gaius and Valerius. Instead of marching on Rome and liberating The Emperor, Drusus was ordered to stand down and not cross the Rubicon as per Roman law. His order was to engage only to defend Rome. That he did, after Valerius first crossed the Rubicon enroute to Rome under Gaius' order..............AFTER Gaius had ordered the massacre of Roman citizens.
                  -Salinatorius of Rome
                  Actually your memory suffers My Emperor. I Crossed the Rubicon on orders of recall only after The General Drusus Landed his forces in Ostia... Drusus arrived by Galley and never crossed the Rubicon...

It must be all the fermented fish you eat.

Valerius Magnus
                  Legate
                  Legios VI Felix, X Rufus Commanding
                  Last edited by Arthwys; 28 Mar 13, 10:13.
                  BoRG
                  "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                    Actually your memory suffers My Emperor. I Crossed the Rubicon on orders of recall only after The General Drusus Landed his forces in Ostia... Drusus arrived by Galley and never crossed the Rubicon...

It must be all the fermented fish you eat.

Valerius Magnus
                    Legate
                    Legios VI Felix, X Rufus Commanding

Just poor wording on The Emperor's part. Drusus was encamped with orders not to intercept you and engage only if you cross the Rubicon and press for Rome. The battle was forced by you and Gaius. When FATE informed Drusus that you had crossed the river and would arrive in Rome by morning, the die was cast. If The Imperials wanted to take Rome, Drusus would already been having Ferment Fish with The Emperor by the time you arrived.
                    Last edited by Salinator; 20 Apr 13, 15:42.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

• Is this still a game?
                      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

• I was wondering that myself.
                        “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                        ― Groucho Marx

Comment

• Last post of the game was in 2009.
                          "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

• I have been late before but never 4 years late.
                            “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                            ― Groucho Marx

Comment

• For many of the players, myself included............SPQR lives on. I still get messages addressed to The Emperor.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

• Even though I wasn't here, I thought you were still the Emperor. Why I keep getting fermented fish, I suppose.
                                This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X