• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    6:20 A.M.

Roman Senate

Senators of Rome!!!

We have work to do!!! But before we do, some thanks are in order:

Senators Verus, you have served the Empire well. You risked your life by sneaking into the Palace to contact the Emperor. The Emperor and the people thanks you.

Senator Honorius, thank you for your work with the trade agreements established with the Han Empire. The food caravans you worked so hard on is now beginning to arrive in Rome in full strength.

Senator Flavian, thank you for your patriotism. Fools have accused you of treason, even while you have donated much of your great wealth to the war effort against Parthia, and risked your life to serve Rome.

Senator Antonius, that prison you built is a lot smaller than I expected. Falco would have been pissed. But you have served Rome well, with what little you had. The people adores you, Rome thanks you. Your undercover work will one day inspire from Sicily to Corsica!

Senator Quintus, what can the Emperor say about you loyalty and devotion other than to decree that from hence forth during the reign of Salinatorius, no more Christians shall be fed to lions in arena sport, nor shall they be excluded from any rights enjoyed by any citizen of Rome.
    I'd actually like to "pause" the game from THIS post !!!

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

• 15th of September 82 A.D.

At first there doesn’t seem anything odd about the Quadrireme that silently docks on at the harbour of Ostia in the early misty morning. There is too much excited talk on the docks concerning the Battle of Fiumicinius and the release of the Emperor only a few days ago.

Nobody specifically notices the vessel although it looks to be in a terrible state and urgently needs repair. It is nothing out of the ordinary however, for ever since the outbreak of the civil war, good looking and strong vessels have become an oddity in the harbor. It is has become much too risky lately to send out one’s own ships and crew, therefore mercenary ships and pirates have been hired to bring goods from one harbor of the Empire to the other.

However the mystery surrounding this military vessel soon becomes apparent when an officer and a handful of soldiers step out to meet the dockofficial. The officer, although clad in a neatly polished uniform, seems to be very weak. He is followed close-by by three of his soldiers seemingly to prevent him from falling. Although he does his best to keep his martial air, it is obvious that he is sick and barely able to stand on his own two feet. Slowly, the delegation manages to approach the harbor official to registrate their presence and the goods they are carrying. The official suspiciously –almost frightened- takes a few steps back when the military come closer. The Dux seems to be in a pitiful state: pale, suffering from a high fever and with strange spots on his face.

After a heavy deep cough that seems to almost choke him, he presents himself as Agrippa, commander of Legio I Augusta, sent from the province of Aegyptus on the 19th of August by order of the Governor Phillipus Garbo. Although the crossing of the Mare Nostrum usually takes two weeks, it took his two Quadriremes and two Triremes almost 30 days due to sickness among his troops and crew. After another heavy cough that seems to last almost an eternity and from which blood is coughed up, he finally manages to ask to be brought to the Emperor or to General Drusus.

The harbor official, sensing the dangerous situation he is in, calls upon one of his younger colleagues a little further away to come to his assistance. When he arrives, the elder whispers something in his ear, to which the younger looks up, frightened…

As the dockofficial orders water to be brought to the dying officer, the younger jumps on his horse and heads to the Port Authorities to report the terrible news…

Greets,
      FATE
      Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

• That's perfect. I should better start packing. If anyone needs me, I will be heading north.
        It's not like I'm running away, hehe.
        "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

• I hereby officially close Gameturn 9 !!!!

Let's get those worksheets in !

I expect them to be submitted to me by Monday at the latest...

I would like to start the FINAL gameturn on Wednesday or Thursday together with the posting of the gameturn results...

Be advised that these will be your last COMPLETE worksheets !

At the end of Gameturn 10 NOT all options on the worksheets will be elegible to be invested in...

You all know the victory conditions of the SPQR game...

I'll post them for all the players on the "Coming Soon: SPQR !!!!" thread as a reminder later on !!!!

S.P.Q.R.

I salute thee,

Greets,
          FATE

BORG

Comment

• Additional heads-up for the partial worksheets at the End of the final Gameturn 10 !

Poisoning and Assassinations will not be allowed anymore !

WHY?

Because I feel it wouldn't be fair for players that have been in the game since day 1 and have survived these last 10 turns, to be murdered in the last worksheet without further consequences to the game. This last worksheet -at the end of gameturn 10- will simply be used to determine to determine the grand total results of the various players...
            So, players that want to try to get rid of opponents must do it NOW on this worksheet !
            I hope this is clear...

Greets,
            FATE

PS: There WILL be another restriction...but that's something for later

BORG

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post

I, the Senator of the People, Senator Antonius, have returned!

...and I fear the weasels may still be closing in….

...We, the People of Rome, have seen each other through unimagined hardships and treachery. We have stood in the face crime waves, fires, disease, Republican usurpation and Praetorian tyranny. We have vanquished foes both foreign and domestic!...
              ...Our victory against the rebel Praetorians at the Falco Imperial Penal Facility and on Senate floor proved that we are righteous...

~Senator Antonius "Fat Tony" Soprano III~

The weasels may still be closing in?

The WEASEL has returned !

Here he is, the senator of the People talking as if HE saved Rome...but I ask you all People of Rome: where has he been these last few months when the people needed him?
              IN HIDING ! Unlike Marcus Tarquinius and Senator Flavian...who bravely stood their ground under the rule of Captain Gaius and senator Torien !

The lions are defeated and look who finally dares to emerge from his hole in the ground !!!

FURIUS
              'Let them hate us so long as they fear us.' Caligula

Comment

• Originally posted by Munk View Post

The weasels may still be closing in?

The WEASEL has returned !

Here he is, the senator of the People talking as if HE saved Rome...but I ask you all People of Rome: where has he been these last few months when the people needed him?
                IN HIDING ! Unlike Marcus Tarquinius and Senator Flavian...who bravely stood their ground under the rule of Captain Gaius and senator Torien !

The lions are defeated and look who finally dares to emerge from his hole in the ground !!!

FURIUS
                Gaius declared him an outcast because he managed to escape from Rome after Gaius tried to arrest him if he showed up anywhere near Rome he would be executed.

Senator Flavian
                "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

• Originally posted by Munk View Post

Unlike Marcus Tarquinius and Senator Flavian...who bravely stood their ground under the rule of Captain Gaius and senator Torien !
                  Your understanding of the current events is laughable. Antonius has seen more battle these past months than you have read about in your short life.

Antonius stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Marcus against Torien and Gaius, and barely escaped the kind of the death that took Marcus, his close friend. Much blood was spilled that day, the day when the People of Rome stood with Antonius and demanded the return of our beloved Caesar.

The People of Rome stood with Antonius by the thousands. Will they stand by you as you continue to slander this hero?

Antonius only fled Rome after the Gaius the Guilty declared his intentions to murder Antonius on sight, without proper trial, as previous accused were granted.

You have much to learn, grasshopper.

~Biggis Junkus, the brother of Biggis Wangus~
                  ~Citizen of Rome~
                  Last edited by Paul Mann III; 18 Apr 09, 17:20.
                  "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• By the Will of FATE

Senators and Citizens of Rome,

It is with a heavy heart that the Emperor reports the state of health of General Drusus. The Great General is currently in the Capitol, resting at home in his villa, surrounded by the love of his wife and family of whom he has not seen for over one year since his departure to liberate Armenia from Parthia. He is alive and conscious, but his legs are swollen and he is great pain. He is currently under the care of The Emperor's personal physicans, and all possible is being done to save his life.

General Drusus' loyal troops await for word of his recover, and long to once again see their Great General who had led them to so much glory in Moesia, Germania, Armenia, and Italia. Sadly, The Emperor must inform them that as of yet, there has been no improvement.

People of Rome, The Emperor request that you all pray to your Gods for the General. Let the Defender of Rome hear your appreciation.

Let the streets of Rome roar the name Drusus so loud that even Hades dare not take him.

All Hail Drusus!
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• Indeed, A Prayer for the Traitor Drusus!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• Drusus, Hero of Rome, I salute you!

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                        All Hail Drusus!

Indeed. Hail Drusus!
                        "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Senators...

Would it be not wise to remove the dead carcass of Karma from these premises before General Scipius wrecks this place in grief & retrieval of it?

Common custodial servant of Rome
                          On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                            Senators...

Would it be not wise to remove the dead carcass of Karma from these premises before General Scipius wrecks this place in grief & retrieval of it?

Common custodial servant of Rome
                            The corpse of Karma?

he ate the beans didn't he?

Clovis! we warned you about the beans!
                            BoRG
                            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• 15th (the Ides) of September 82 AD

Rome...The Senate

Amidst the Senate, the voices fill the great space with a hum as that great elected body has returned to its business. The senate is once again in order and the Emperor has been restored!
                              A feel of optimism and purpose flows throughout the chamber.

Rome, though shaken by the unrest and violence carries on as best she can.

While this first session of the newly restored Senate proceeds, the energy is high and the optimism among the Senators soars. As Senator Quintus stands to make announcement and thanks for the mercy granted to the Christians by Emperor Salinatorius, the great doors of the chamber are opened to admit a figure who drags himself as though in the throes of exhaustion to the center of the chamber.

Dressed in the remains of what was once finery, his shoulders slumped like they bear great weight, this figure of a man shuffles to the centre of the floor where he displaces Quintus, who reacts more with surprise than displeasure, backing away and leaving the floor to this stranger.

He is the focus for all attention as around him sit the Senate itself, and the Emperor sits before him. He stands where the great beam of the Sun shines down though the Oculus to Wreath him in its brilliance.

“Noble Senators! Most Devine Emperor! I bring to you tidings of Grief and pain! Hear me! for I am Ambosianus Leto! And bear witness to Chaos!”

The name begins the ripple of whispers throughout the chamber as it is passed from voice to voice.
                              At the same time, the Guards that are supposed to protect the Curia for unannounced visitors erupt onto the scene. With a simple sign of the hand, the Emperor refrains them from carrying the man away.

“Hear Me oh voices of the Roman people! A Darkness comes bringing savagery and suffering! And Dacia is engulfed in Horror!”

“You see before you a ragged beggar! In truth my caravans used to number Scores of wagons! My goods sold and sent for across the known World! Aye even beyond the periphery of the Empire! but it is gone and you see before you now a beggar! where once I held licence and title from the Emperor himself!”

The Emperor Sits upon his throne, his full attention on this man before him. Eyes piercing like that of an Eagle look into Letos’ eyes. The right hand cupping his noble chin, as the left supports the elbow.

“Speak plainly Noble Leto. I recognise you, though barely. What Horror is it that threatens Dacia?”

Drawing himself up to his full height he looks back at is Emperor with eyes hollow and haunted.

“Dacia is LOST! From the North came a host, massive in numbers! They put to the torch all that can be burned! And put to the sword any who resist or question!

The garrisons have been destroyed! Towns and villages are being wiped from the earth, and their occupants flee south to Rome! Behind me the roads are choked with refugees! Thousands of them are uprooted!

Lysurgus is the name riding the winds of destruction! They say it is the name of their leader, and this Lysurgus is brutal and implacable in his methods.

He has claimed Dacia for his own, and made headway to accomplish it!
                              No legions now exist in the province, for they have either been destroyed or drawn into his ranks which swell with every discontented man! and there are many of that stripe given the upheavals recently!

Captured Eagles are mounted at his vanguard! and this Lysurgus challenges Rome at turn!
                              I Ambosianus Leto bring your these warnings! And repeat the warning: Dacia is LOST!”

The once wealthy merchant sinks to the floor of the Senate chamber which is encapsulated now in an ominous silence. The Senators stare at the collapsed figure of their harbinger, drained of all strength. His words echo in their minds, the warning clear.
                              Then all eyes as one, turn to the Emperor, wondering;

What will he do?
                              What will Rome do?

-A watcher in the Senate

Thank you Arthwys for this fine storytelling...
                              Last edited by Stratego; 21 Apr 09, 13:43.

BORG

Comment

• My pleasure, glad to assist the master
                                BoRG
                                "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X