Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPQR Gameturn 8 !!!

15th of August, 82 A.D.

The people of Rome are getting ready to march !!!

Rumours run like wildfire along the 7 hills surrounding the capital city. Reports arrive in the senate that an angry mob of 3.000 is heading towards the senate to put to sword all the senators that have opposed the Imperial crown. Others yet speak of a mob of 6.000 heading towards the Imperial palace to murder the Emperor that has lied, bribed and used treachery to keep his throne safe. In the middle of all this, the rumour goes that only a handful of wealthy citizens are marching to the senate to find out if the rumours of their beloved Emperor’s death is true or not.
    Spies are lurking, agitators are whispering, senators are bribing and heralds are proclaiming: in the Roman underworld the cards are quickly beind dealt. Who will have the best hand? The Imperials, the Republicans, the two Generals in the East, who knows…perhaps even the mysterious prophet Argus of Corinth?
    Contradictory reports come in by messengers to the senate, the Praetorian Guard and the many packed inns. General Scipius has been proclaimed the new Emperor, Emperor Sal has died, Drusus is the champion of the Roman people. There is doubt and fear…doubt and fear ultimately leads to chaos.

The gross of the Roman people and the legions scattered along the Empire are uncertain what to believe anymore. This is the reason why it has been so quiet these last few weeks. It is a fact however that many of the citizens don’t care anymore. For over a century now conspiracies and political coups have torn the Empire apart: Marius and Sulla, Caesar and Pompey, Augustus and Antonius, Galba and Otho, Otho and Vitellius, Vitellius and Vespasian. Blood has flowed freely in the Roman gutters too many times also: under Tiberius, under Caligula, under Nero. All Romans older then 30 can recall having survived at least one civil war or purge and they are growing sick of it. Roman elderlies ask themselves: wasn’t Rome much more stabel and peaceful when Rome was still a Republic? What has the Empire brought? Bloodshed and treachery…

What is true however, is that nobody knows for sure what the following days will bring. Here and there, people have gathered in the different sections of the capital, that IS a fact. But nobody knows who they are and what they are planning. Time will shortly tell…

In the senate the discussions are very lively. All the senators are afraid of these rumours...what must be done? Some hotheads proclaim that action must be taken immediately before the mob marches and slits their throats in a fury. They call upon Gaius to protect them. Others are departing, preferring to leave Rome in order to save their and their families lives. A few stoics however are not so sure that any of these rumours are true and suggest to wait and confront the mob, if it really is a mob, that is.

So Roman senators, what should be done?

LET IT BEGIN !!!!!!

Greets,
    FATE
    Let Gaius and his Praetorian Guard of 5.000 handle it. Any sign of revolt or rising will be put down without mercy…
    38.46%
    Let the Praetorian Guard surround the senate as precautionary measure. They will protect the senate IF attacked…
    7.69%
    Confront the mob when it marches, for you have nothing to hide ! If you must die, then so be it…
    38.46%
    Send out spies, informants and a secret police to weed out potential ringleaders and demagogues…
    15.38%

The poll is expired.

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Sal or Wes...

Please reopen the SPQR gameturn 7 thread so that I may post the results of the last turn (hopefully tommorow). You do not have to close it again. As gameturn 8 has now officially started, players may be free to post comments on it...

Some players are still in need of some information. Please, if I have forgotten any of you, please do give me a heads up. My administration is becoming a mess after last turn and all the different fronts !!!!

Greets,
    FATE
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

People of Rome!!!

People of Rome…,

I, Senator Antonius, call to you now, as you have called upon me so many times!

Great injustice has been done in Rome! Our leader has been massacred, and our fair city is held hostage by thugs and traitors!

Our society, founded upon its laws, has been betrayed by those charged with its guidance and protection!

As it stands, Senator Torienus, who was about to be arrested for Treason, has schemed to assassinate Caesar. It was the only way he could avoid the charge of Treason that was about to proven against him. Sadly, he acted before the Emperor could.

He has manipulated the Captain of the Praetorian Guard into doing his bidding with a promise of continued wealth and new-found lechery at the side of Torienus. Torienus also has duped Scipius into becoming a lighting-rod for his plots, intending to hide behind the new Emperor’s cloak when he is called to answer for his recent crimes.

Torienus plans to let Roman soldiers spill each other’s blood in Civil War for his profit and prestige. Torienus would have us all killed, as he has done to Caesar, and so many others!

So I call to you now, People of Rome, to act as our own defenders of right!

People of Rome, take to the streets! With sword, with pitchfork, or with rock if need be! Put down this usurper Torienus, his dog Gaius, and their puppet Scipius! Let no building, farm, or shop go unharmed, for we shall all be destroyed if you do not!

Molest the Imperial convoys everywhere you find them!

I have always delivered to the People what they have asked for, and I now ask that the People trust in my reputation, and my promise that Rome will be delivered from this evil if what I ask for is done.Take our City back from the deceitful swine that have robbed us of our Caesar, burn it to its very foundations if needs be!

We must not let our history be shamed from within by Torienus the Traitor!

We can rebuild Rome once the vermin have fled; do this terrible deed now, for the Glory of Rome!

~Senator Antonius “Fat Tonius” Soprano~
      "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

what's a demagogue?
        Sail on Britannia.

Comment

The people of Rome need to know the truth about Rome's situation the way a trustworthy spectating senator such as myself sees it:
          The Roman emperor Sal is dead and civil war has broken out between the old emperor's supposed supporter, Drusus, and the newly proclaimed emperor, Scipius, along with his allies, Gaius and Torienus.

We must confront them in a peaceful and truthful manner.
          "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

Originally posted by TankBrigade View Post
            The people of Rome need to know the truth about Rome's situation the way a trustworthy spectating senator such as myself sees it:
            The Roman emperor Sal is dead and civil war has broken out between the old emperor's supposed supporter, Drusus, and the newly proclaimed emperor, Scipius, along with his allies, Gaius and Torienus.

We must confront them in a peaceful and truthful manner.
            Then I shall withdrawal my men from Parthia and "confront" them peacefully too...

- General Rubinus
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
              Then I shall withdrawal my men from Parthia and "confront" them peacefully too...

- General Rubinus
              Why does that not sound reasuring?
              "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

Originally posted by Stratego View Post
                Sal or Wes...

Please reopen the SPQR gameturn 7 thread so that I may post the results of the last turn (hopefully tommorow). You do not have to close it again. As gameturn 8 has now officially started, players may be free to post comments on it...

Some players are still in need of some information. Please, if I have forgotten any of you, please do give me a heads up. My administration is becoming a mess after last turn and all the different fronts !!!!

Greets,
                FATE
                Gameturn 7 re-opened.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

If the people of Rome return to their fears of a self serving criminal, braying, as an ass, of an unproven or unimplied murder of an Emperor...it is for naught that they serve their own interests, much more, the better Honor & true Justice of Rome...

It is also a thing of telling intrigue when a General leaves to his flanks the Command of all Romes Legio's facing our most dangerous sworn enemy... and an ally at their potential mercy, in the doing... only to hurriedly & criminally declare himself Emperor & deceivingly proclaim a non-existent Civil War for no more purpose than to illicit the fears of his own people as he marches on Rome, all quite to the contrary to their better interests & well being...

For I find in the intrigue of it all the fact that neither has even once sought the slightest sliver of proof that the brother of Scipius is dead! Nay, my dear people of Rome... It is ample proof, above all other things, that their greed & lust for power exceeds all Roman Honor & the better true concerns of her People!

As to the charge of collusion between Scipius & these things occurring & descending upon Rome:

I ask each & every one of you what General has such time as to Loyally & continuously stand his Command in defiance to the face & flanks of our Parthian enemies in the east - as so ordered... to return to an allies treasury that which was theirs... that which had been taken from them by a despot King, slain so righteously by his forces - by the just & certain order of his own truly Honorable Roman heart... to so daringly wrest victory in the night from the flanks of much greater numbers & almost certain defeat... exposing their horrified faces to the advancing might & great power of his Honorable consort in battle - General Rubinus, his Legio & elements of 3 others - in joint cause of defeat & total retreat of our only primary & most dangerous enemy... the PARTHIAN ARMY - as so ordered... to continue to foster order & new found confidence for an ally now finding its freedom ever more secure, & then entering into common cause & treaty by which to make both peoples secure & destined to sow the fruits of mutual friendship, trade, security & freedom such that we might all reap the bounties of commerce & prosperity along new secure routes to far eastern lands - as so previously expressed & desired by the Roman people he so obviously & dutifully serves...

Indeed... what General could even remotely hope to accomplish such noble & honorably Roman things - in a land half a world away - & also entertain such a fantastically preposterous thing as to foment fear, criminal injustice, petty threat, & treacherous intrigue upon his own people in Rome - much less actually exercise such seemingly magical power as to visit it upon them?

I swear to you this... if Scipius' brother were dead, his killers would be fodder of his wrath!

Those that proclaim themselves all powerful & without sin or check are the root & seat of evil in Rome!

By the demonstrated Honor of Rubinus & Scipius...

And such memories of the Great General Paulus...

All the people of Rome should be so inspired to stand to such Honor!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                    Molest the Imperial convoys everywhere you find them!

We can rebuild Rome once the vermin have fled; do this terrible deed now, for the Glory of Rome!

~Senator Antonius “Fat Tonius” Soprano~
                    To the Senate and People of Rome,

These words of Antonius, and similar drivel, have been heard in the dark alleys and corners of the City. I think it is, once more, very obvious who is the criminal in Rome! Antonius, a wanted man, is calling for violence and crime of Roman against Roman! And it is he who has fled, and indeed, done terrible deeds.

I would also like to concur with the words of the wise Karma. No evidence that Sal has even been injured in the slightest is known in any official capacity! Gaius' guards have protected him in the palace and the Senate has received no notice of anything different.

As to civil war or any other uprising...no word has reached Rome of any Roman Soldier taking up arms against Rome itself. General Drusus has deserted his post at the front. But his Legion is not known to be attacking any Roman possession.

In the City, I ask, for the sake of all Romans, for calm and peace to prevail. All actions taken by me and Gaius have been within the letter and scope of Roman Law. Crimes against Rome have been committed and trials will be held. But unrest will not be tolerated.

Senator Torienus
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

People of Rome!!

Death to the traitors! They have murdered our great Emperor for their own selfish gain. We as citizens must drive these treasonus curs to ground and destroy them.

Marcus Tarquinus
                      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Attn. Citizens of Rome.

The Previous Emperor is Aive and well I saw him this morning in his chambers where he threw a scroll at me and Refused to talk with me.

He is alive and well. He is protected by the Guard and no harm shall come to him aslong as I am alive.

People of Rome. There is no need for an Uprising everything is well the senate is working without rest to set up trials for the guilty and aiding the citizens.

Anyone found in groups numbring over 30 on public ground without a right to assemble permit will be forced to disperse.

-Gaius Marius
                        Captain Praetorian Guard
                        General Felix Legion
                        Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                        I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Patton 7079 View Post
                          Attn. Citizens of Rome.

The Previous Emperor is Aive and well I saw him this morning in his chambers where he threw a scroll at me and Refused to talk with me.

He is alive and well. He is protected by the Guard and no harm shall come to him aslong as I am alive.

People of Rome. There is no need for an Uprising everything is well the senate is working without rest to set up trials for the guilty and aiding the citizens.

Anyone found in groups numbring over 30 on public ground without a right to assemble permit will be forced to disperse.

-Gaius Marius
                          Captain Praetorian Guard
                          General Felix Legion
                          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                            I do.
                            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                            _________
                            BoRG

Comment

tor is in charge of watching the watchers? quis custodiet torien?
                              Sail on Britannia.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X