No announcement yet.

SPQR: Offensive against Parthia !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should our primary Objective not be that to Destory the Parthian Army first and Foremost? Yes the City will need to be captured but if we can destroy there army we do not need to fear a counter attack.
    Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
    I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

Enemy that is cornered will fight to their last breath. My suggestion is that, after we maintain siege for a while, we make an escape route for them and allow them to leave town. Then we should strike as they would probably try to run for their lives and all we will need to do is hunt them one by one.
      "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

No one took Flavius? I'm in, if that's ok.
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
          No one took Flavius? I'm in, if that's ok.
          You got him Art !
          Welcome to the game...

Quintus Flavius (Artwys)

Greets,
          FATE
          Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

When does this start?

Comment

The Parthian forces dwell within the City?

I Offer to capture the Oases to the east and then swing south to take the Watch tower on The Mt. Tiglaran.
              From there we can harass them with Onager fire and maintain a threat/distraction to their eastern walls.

I await my Orders
              BoRG

Comment

Legion XX Hercules

I -
                1650 infantry middle
                170 Cappadocian cavalry recruits

II - Scipius
                150 cavalry middle
                820 Nubian cavalry middle
                250 Egyptian chariots middle

III -
                1200 infantry middle

500 Greek hoplites veterans
                250 Armenian infantry recruits (by provision of Senator Ariobarzanus)

IV -
                1600 Greek hoplites veterans
                200 Syrian cavalry recruits

Legion IV Scythia

I -
                1000 infantry veterans
                250 Armenian infantry middle (from former Royal Armenian army)
                450 infantry middle

II -
                1750 infantry veterans
                100 Armenian archers middle (from former Royal Armenian army)
                300 Armenian light infantry spearmen recruits

80 Armenian light cavalry recruits (Armenian volunteers)

III -
                1750 infantry veterans

50 Armenian cataphract cavalry veterans (former cavalry of Royal Armenian Army)
                250 Armenian infantry middle (from former Royal Armenian army)

IV - Scipius
                90 cavalry veterans

190 Arabic horse archers veterans
                30 Persian cataphracts veterans

V -
                1800 eastern light infantry veterans
                10 cavalry middle
                10 cavalry veterans on foot
                10 cavalry middle on foot
                30 Roman cavalry recruits

Generals, I denote my Legios & designate 7 commands for your choosing - AFTER General Rubinus has placed the remaining commands within his Legio upon the field & opened for selection the 3 - 4 commands within his Legio. Depending upon General Rubinus' choices of various command compositions, we may need another General! I believe Lucius Tungus might make good use of one Command for his covert & dark purposes in & about the city of Nisibis. There is always a place for such resourcefulness of Romeland Security forces among the ranks arrayed for such a task.

I now place my Legios to the task that you shall each accomplish in complete unity of purpose & goal. It will be up to each of you to maintain discipline, contact, & cooperative effort between each and all of your fellow Commanders & General Rubinus, as well those of his Legio. Do not fear to think outside the box, for Fate has a nasty habit of not being so kind to those that remain mired within one.

I now order Legio IV to the line at a point North West of Oasis Ara such that the way to the eastern perimeter of Nisibis lies before them.

I now order Legio XX to the line at a point to the West of, & between the village of Zahhak & the Temple of Hyrcanus such that the Port of Nisibus, ample farm lands & the southern portions of the city of Nisibis lies before them.

In refusing to keep to much of my Cavalry tied down & restricted to such preponderant likelihood of near or often stationary service in this operation, I now stand forward & take all of Red Command south to secure or interdict the river down to, & likely to include the Parthian settlement of Singara, possibly even Dura, if the opportunity reasonably presents itself. I fully intend to make such a nuisance of myself upon the Parthian countryside such that the prisoners of Nisibis seek break out - be ever to your guard of it.

In that I ride with my Cavalry, and though I shall remain seized of the dispositions & strategic Command of my Legios from afar, I issue order to all of my own Commanders that General Rubinus shall exercise & hold full tactical command of all forces & machines of war that are arrayed to the tasks & operations about the City of Nisibus.

Victa Roma!

Scipius
                Legatus
                Legio IV, Legio XX
                Military Commander - Armenia/ Parthia

(Remember, Gents... Wait for General Rubinus to Post his Starting Position & Commands before beginning to claim what commands you might desire in Legio IV, Legio XX, or his own... then, upon laying & confirming claim of any particualr Command - grouped by color - with Fate, begin your planning & movements... I shall remain 'somewhat removed' from your activities, but General Rubinus will not.)
                Last edited by Admiral; 03 Feb 09, 01:07.
                On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

oops I forgot to read that last line!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                    Legion XX Hercules

](Remember, Gents... Wait for General Rubinus to Post his Starting Position & Commands before beginning to claim what commands you might desire in Legio IV, Legio XX, or his own... then, upon laying & confirming claim of any particualr Command - grouped by color - with Fate, begin your planning & movements... I shall remain 'somewhat removed' from your activities, but General Rubinus will not.)[/FONT]
                    [/LEFT]
                    [/CENTER]
                    Ahh that's what I get for being an eager noob...

Well I'm awaiting orders
                    BoRG

Comment

How are the outcome of individual battles calculated?

As I posted earlier:

recruits have 1 hit point !

middle troops have 2 hit points !

veteran troops have 3 hit points !

When battle is engaged, both sides will receive a dieroll.

Added to this score will be added

+1 point if they are middle troops

+2 points if they are veteran troops

Depending on the troops that are facing each other the following scores will be added (red = in the flank or rear):

Infantry vs Light Infantry= +2 for infantry - -1 hit point light infantry

Infantry vs Infantry= No bonus - + 2 in flank or rear

Light cavalry vs Light Infantry= /

Light cavalry vs Infantry= No bonus - + 2 for light cavalry in flank or rear

Cavalry vs Light Infantry= /

Cavalry vs Infantry= +2 for cavalry - + 4 for cavalry in flank or rear

Cavalry vs Light Cavalry= +2 for cavalry - - 1 hit point light cavalry

Cavalry vs Cavalry= No bonus

If an officer finds himself admidst his troopers during an attack, he will be allowed to add his popularity score to this score...but of course, in this case he runs the risk of dying among his men.

Troops run the risk of fleeing the battlefield when:

Outnumbered 2:1 or more...
                      Hit in the flank or the rear...
                      Infantry is attacked by cavalry...

In this case the Quality of the officer's troops is tested, if positive the troops will stand fast, if not, the troops will start wavering and only the presence of a popular officer will be able to turn the tide.

The Insight score finally, will determine if troops are succesible to flank or rear attacks...

Slingers, archers and horse archers:

When troops face slingers, archers and horse archers, a die will be rolled to determine how much damage the volley's will cause:

1 = loss of 5%
                      2 = loss of 10%
                      3 = loss of 15%
                      4 = loss of 25%
                      5 = loss of 30%
                      6 = loss of 40% !!!

Example:

800 Roman infantry middle are attacked by 350 Parthian Cataphracts veteran:

The Roman infantry is being led by Antiochus Pacco but he IS among his troops and the Cataphracts by Artarxes who is NOT among his troops.

The Romans get a dieroll of 5
                      The Parthians get a roll of 2
                      The Romans get + 1 bonus because they are regular troops
                      The Parthians get a +2 bonus because they are veterans
                      The Parthians get an additional bonus of 2 points because they are attacking the Romans head on.
                      The Roman troops run the risk of fleeing the field of battle because they are confronted by heavy cavalry...so a "Quality" die roll is done:
                      A 6 is rolled and Antiochus' Pacco's troops have a quality of 3, thus they are wavering ! Luckily their officer is among the troopers and so they gain a +2 bonus on their final score...

The total of the battle is now:

The Romans 5 + 1 + 2 = 8
                      The Parthians 2 + 2 + 2 = 6

As you can see the Roman infantry won the attack because they have a score of 8.
                      The Parthian cavalry now loses 1 hit point.
                      The victory of the infantry is largely thanks to the presence of the officer Pacco's among the ranks. Had this not been the case, the score would have been EVEN, but since the Roman troops were wavering it would have led to the break-up and destruction of the Roman formation !!!

To end this battle, a die must be rolled to see if the officer Pacco will fall amongst his men. A 4 is rolled and the "Luck" score of Pacco is 2...unfortunately Antiochus Pacco is mortally wounded !!!!

Hope this is clear enough.

Please remember that I tried to make these rules as easy as possible to understand and process. It was not my intention to make them as "real" as possible...

Of course I am open for ideas or thoughts...

Greets,
                      FATE
                      Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

To end this battle, a die must be rolled to see if the officer Pacco will fall amongst his men. A 4 is rolled and the "Luck" score of Pacco is 2...unfortunately Antiochus Pacco is mortally wounded !!!!
                        Is every character I play destined to die?

By the way...I'd really like to command the Greeks...wink wink, nudge nudge....
                        Last edited by Commodore_1812; 03 Feb 09, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Commodore_1812 View Post
                          Is every character I play destined to die?

By the way...I'd really like to command the Greeks...wink wink, nudge nudge....
                          Well then, you shouldn't have chosen a character with a luck factor of 2! You knew Stratego would have you trip on a rake and die of tetanus!
                          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                          _________
                          BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                            Well then, you shouldn't have chosen a character with a luck factor of 2! You knew Stratego would have you trip on a rake and die of tetanus!
                            There wasn't much left for me to choose from

Comment

Look at my character, he's got a luck factor of 2, but his other factors are strong.

-Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by Conlin View Post
                                Look at my character, he's got a luck factor of 2, but his other factors are strong.

-Alexander
                                Murphy's law. Nothing can beat it.
                                "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X