No announcement yet.

SPQR: Offensive against Parthia !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indeed, we must start from the designated positions on the map...

Scipius
    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
      XX-III - Enemnogenus the Short (Torien)
      • 1200 infantry middle
      • 500 Greek hoplites veterans
      • 250 Armenian infantry recruits (by provision of Senator Ariobarzanus)
      XX-III will start advancing in formation from north of Zahhak on a direct line east toward the Western Gate of Nisibis.

Order of battle will be 600 Legionaires, then 500 Hoplites, then 250 Armenians followed by 600 Legionaires.

Once past the Temple of Hyrcanus, we will array in attack formation, North to South of 600 Leg., 500 Hoplites, 600 Leg. With 250 Armenians in reserve.

I would like to requisition both of the seige towers for my approach to the city.
      Enemnogenus

My middle cavalry detachment will be stationed on your southern flank, covering the western port crossing. I suggest we use them to maintain communications between us, especially if enemy reinforcements should seek to disrupt your assault from the south. The scouts i am positioning south of the port, should give us adequate warning if this should occur. However, should the south remain peaceful, I will place the detachment under your command if the situation during the assault requires such a move.

Tungus Lucius

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral View Post

Beginning Legio positions at start of Siege at Nisibis.

Very well, My troops shall start north of the oasis of ara at the current line of advance, and march south to the oasis. from there we will procede to the oasis charax. If we can of course capture the port and posion the water supply in the city. my men shall guard the other water ources unless called upon for support.

thus succesfully eliminating the enemies possible water supplies.

-Tiberius Decimus
        Commanding IV-III
        Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
        I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
          Enemnogenus

My middle cavalry detachment will be stationed on your southern flank, covering the western port crossing. I suggest we use them to maintain communications between us, especially if enemy reinforcements should seek to disrupt your assault from the south. The scouts i am positioning south of the port, should give us adequate warning if this should occur. However, should the south remain peaceful, I will place the detachment under your command if the situation during the assault requires such a move.

Tungus Lucius
          Thank you Lucius!

Having only infantry, I have picket scouts alone. Your cavalry screen shall provide a welcome buffer between our areas and an easy way to pass information back and forth.

You prove yourself to be a most capable Tribune! My men and I look forward to once again going in to battle by your side.

May Mars Bless the XX Legio once more!
          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
          _________
          BoRG

Comment

• What can be seen in and around Nisibis?

What do the Romans see????

The last few days it has rained quite a bit. Although still some rain has fallen last night, by dawn all was dry once again. During the day the temperatures are still high and it is hot (although not as hot as a month ago). A wind blows from the east, chasing away some of the warmth, but blowing sand into the faces of the troops of legio IV now and then.

Troops of legio IV to the North-East of Nisibis see both Oasis' in the distance. No enemy troops can be detected in the distance as far as the human eye can see.

Troops stationed directly north of Nisibis on the main road - legio XXIV - can see no enemy troops in front of the enemy city. They do notice enemy troops -presumably archers - standing ready however on the city walls and towers. The suburb town of Beydar lies in ruins, the greater part of the town is burnt to the ground. Little or no survivors have been found. Those that have been found (10 prisoners - 4 children under 10 years old, 2 middle aged women, 3 old men and 2 fathers), spit in your faces and damn you all to hell. An enraged Parthian woman has attacked a soldier with a dagger and stabbed him in the arm. What should be done with them?
            It is noticed that some work has been done in front of the city walls, prior to your suprise-attack ! Some kinds of materials, pickaxes, pieces of wood, shovels still lie there unattended and forgotten. Here and there one can still notice heaps of sand and earth...the land around is deserted and poor.

Troops of legio XX stationed at Zahhad have found a small farmerstown. It is still in a good shape although some houses have been damaged or destroyed during the suprise attack. Many more Parthian have been found there in their dwellings then in Beydar. Most of the 40 inhabitants found have no idea -or refuse to say- what is going on in Nisibis or what the Parthian army is up to. Many are aggressive towards you for invading their land and causing so much misery, but most just want to be left alone in their misery. Many are sick or dying of hunger. Some, less agressive (hoping for some food), agree to have seen a large Parthian army hanging around the city these last few months. One of the inhabitants, the townfool - a deformed hunchback with blackened teeth -is only glad to provide you some information: he agrees that the Parthians under Phraates have been around, but they left quickly when the suprise-attack occured in the middle of the night. According to him, they were headed east and there is nothing to be found inside the city...he brutally advises you Romans to head east immediatly if you want to catch up with him !!!
            The once peaceful and rich cropland around the town has been destroyed and plundered as far as you can see. No cattle is left behind. It is deserted.
            Another thing of importance to note is the fact that the rives banks around the town are pretty muddy and marschy due to the sudden rainfall of the last few days !!!

The conclusions of all this are for you all to make...

Greets,
            FATE

PS: As you all progress, more will be seen in time...

PSS: Is anybody of the players able to make a map of the movements that will be made? Nothing too complicated, just some circles and arrows...
            Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
              Thank you Lucius!

Having only infantry, I have picket scouts alone. Your cavalry screen shall provide a welcome buffer between our areas and an easy way to pass information back and forth.

You prove yourself to be a most capable Tribune! My men and I look forward to once again going in to battle by your side.

May Mars Bless the XX Legio once more!
              Enemnogenus

Most worthy Tribune. In order that our assault may run smoothly I send you this map of my intentions and will now relate my thoughts.

I have ordered Caius Paulinus, commander of the Middle Cavalry, to dispose himself at your pleasure. He is to cover the immediate area north of the two port crossings, after first disposing his keenest scouts south of the port. He will then observe your assault closely, and when he adverts your first lodgement at gate or wall, he is to place himself fully within your command as a reserve. This I have explained to him will free the remaining bulk of your infantry at your pleasure, for the assault.

I will be at the eastern most crossing during the assault, for it is my fear that when your assault succeeds, as it surely must, some parts of the enemy may attempt to leave the city through some hidden gate or port in the eastern walls, that we have so far unobserved. Should they do this, their intent may be to flee or join with some other forces to the east.

Therefore I would require that when you judge the enemy morale breaking, send word to me as swiftly as Mercury's wings. I will then cross the river and position myself south of the ruins. This will then either drive the enemy back onto your swords or northwards to Legio IV.

Finally, once victory is gained I will dispose my forces as follows. Scouts will be positioned to the south of the port, the southeastern crossing and in the low hills south of the Tiglaran watchtower. My Chariots will recross the river and place themselves covering the southwestern gate area. The Middle Cavalry will occupy the port akin to my own encampment. The Nubians will be positioned just to my southeast.

May the great god of war make your soldiers swords shine with the blood of our enemies.

Tungus Lucius

Comment

• IV-V -Amelius Garbo (Nick the Noodle)
                1800 eastern light infantry veterans
                10 cavalry middle
                10 cavalry veterans on foot
                10 cavalry middle on foot
                30 Roman cavalry recruits

My Chief NCO has told me the light infantry will not race ahead of the other forces of Legio IV, but will advance with the view we may retire behind more suitable troops if faced with enemy cavalry, except horse archers which we will engage. Any foot will also be engaged.

40 Cavalry (on horse) will scout 200 yards ahead, 20 Dragoons will act as an informal bodyguard for me.

When moving south we will be in a open formation in front of the other units so that the enemy will not see their unit types or formations.

We will be expecting ambush sites near the Oasis, probably cavalry who need to water their horses. No ambush will probably mean poisoned watering holes. We will attempt to capture any horses to upgrade my 'Dragoons'.

Amelius Garbo
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Lucius,

Here are my plans for the IIIrd. Advance along the line from Zahhak as indicated. Once past the crossroads of the Temple ridge, my troops will fan out as indicated. North to South: 600 Romans (R) 500 Greeks (G) 600 Romans (R) with the Armenians in reserve (A) and to guard against possible attack from the Temple ridge itself.

I will have a score of scout/pickets to the north and south of the line of advance. My most southern units will stay in line of sight with your northern most cavalry units.

Enemnogenus
                  Attached Files
                  History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                  _________
                  BoRG

Comment

• Thanks for the visuals, players...it helps me alot to keep track of everything !!!

Greets,
                    FATE
                    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

• Due to the extensive training by the Agency and according to the Disclosure Protection Act of 70AD, I will tell nothing of my positions, assets, and intentions.

I do however need to borrow two or three chariots to tranport some "materials".

Crabbus Irritatus - Romeland Security Director
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• ok, here is my visual
                        Attached Files
                        Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                        I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• How hard will it be to climb on Mt. Tiglaran?
                          "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

• What of the Elevated ground north of the City? where the north Watch Tower stands? what angle of slope is it? can it be climbed? what level of difficulty?
                            BoRG
                            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• Bereft of tools to modify the Map provided I have positioned my Cohort (XXIV-II) on the Left, abutting the right Flank of the IV Legio.
                              Now understanding our relative positions I am obviously not attempting my previously planned seizure of the Oases and Mountain Tower.

Must re-evaluate based on the dispositions and intentions of my Brother Tribunes
                              BoRG

Comment

• I will advance my force to the point out of missile range where they can support the Elements of the IVth as they take the Oases.

A forified camp will be constructed to be a Hard point in the line,
                                positioned to keep the visual communication betwen the IV and the XXIV intact.

The advance is careful and steady - Scouts (mounted and foot) check the ground ahead.

The Force advances in loose skirmish formation
                                checking the ground for traps or buried 'sand devils' along the route.
                                Once the camp is complete Scouts will assay the slope of the heights to the northern watchtower to determine if it is reachable.

Should the slope be accessible then the troops will make arrangements to assault the tower in concert with the actions of our other elements.
                                Quintus Flavius
                                Tribune
                                Legio XXIV-II
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Arthwys; 23 Feb 09, 15:00.
                                BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X