Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPQR Gameturn 6 !!!

June, 82 A.D.

It is already obvious that the Parthians stand no chance against the might of the Roman legions. We’ve already defeated two armies –one at Tigranakert and one in the Randaiean Hills- and now only one more remains. It is not wrong to start thinking of the future of our trade in the East, a problem Rome has had to face for centuries already. Although a successful campaign against the Parthians could open up extraordinary possibilities in the east, no suggestions have yet been put forward to consolidate them. Let’s face it: lying about, enjoying the spills of war will not help the Roman Empire grow.
    The war is costing a lot and has also blocked the flow of trade. This has resulted in a decrease of import and export. Although not of military or social importance, the Emperor is called upon by the senate to also decide on the finances of the Empire which, if a solution is not found soon, could have consequences on the state treasury. Costs of goods imported from the East such as silk, cotton and spices may go sky high, due to the decrease of their availability during and after the war. The consequences in the long run would be that shopkeepers and traders will have problems keeping their businesses open. Due to the decrease in goods, maritime trade may falter, leaving a great number of merchant ships empty on the shores of the Mediterranean.
    Perhaps not a glorious nor interesting matter to have think about, but it is something that might have serious consequences on the Roman treasury if nothing is done…
    Build more ships to strengthen the trade by sea and build new harbours…
    25.00%
    Make better trade relationships with Parthians once the war is over…
    6.25%
    Conquer Saoudi Arabia in order to trade with India...
    12.50%
    Find better trade routes in the east and build roads…
    56.25%
    Build a temple to Mercury, the God of Commerce and hope that things will go better…
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Stratego; 19 Dec 08, 16:12.
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

The advisor ponders on the difficult matter…

It is a pure fact that maritime trade is much cheaper and safer then trade by land. Perhaps investing in more merchant ships and the building of new harbors in the Mediterranean could improve trade. Since the trade route to China passes straight through the kingdom of Parthia by land, it might be better if we could leave this cumbersome problem behind us once and for all and concentrate on the navy and everything on what the Mare Nostrum, the Mediterranean, has to offer us. Let us concentrate on export instead of import, Let other nations want us more then we want them !!!

In the long run, it may be better for Rome to swallow its pride and to start lasting trade relationships with Parthia. Until now, the enemy has gotten a serious beating! Maybe now the time is right to “demand” some commercial benefits in order to make an end to the war. Perhaps this could be an important pawn to use against our enemy in the future once the table has been readied for peace overtures. I doubt that they will brave enough to deny us anything once they receive a third blow in the face by the hands of our great generals. And if they do, well we’ll just have to send some more of our legions to force some concessions !
    We could perhaps demand to establish our own trade posts on Parthian soil next to the trade routes with China, instead of having to depend on Parthian intermediaries that demand enormous taxes on goods shipped to the west ! Or we may demand them to exempt us from taxes for import goods from China.

A greater project that would serve Roman interests on a long term, would be to “commercially” conquer Saoudi Arabia. Although we have some positive trade connections in this area, it is perhaps time to seize it and colonize it. We could colonize its shores and build new harbors to promote our trade with India. If this course is take, we don’t have to rely on the land route running through Parthian territory. Will need a lot of manpower and a lot of money…but will be worth it in the end…

Instead of trading with the Parthians, why not look for other and better traderoutes through the north of Middle East by the Caspian and Black sea? Let us build roads northwards there, make contact with the tribes and offer them good benefits. Let us build more roads, trademarkets and warehouses in the vast areas of Syria and Armenia to let the trade “flow” more freely in these far off places.

Building a huge temple in honor of Mercury, the God of trade will surely please him into benefitting the Roman trade. It will convince our traders that Mercury is present to support them in their negotiations and businesses. It will give them an “élan”-a psychological boost- which will help raise our commerce…

Greets,
    FATE
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

15th of june 82 A.D.

Gameturn 6 A has now officially started !!!!

I will post a map of the armies' turn 6 starting positions today or tomorrow at the latest...

The Parthian army will now make it's moves.

I will need the Roman movements on my desk within three days from now
      and no, BUTS or IF'S !!!

It will end at noon on tuesday the 23rd of december L.A. time, 8 PM London time and 9 PM Brussels time !!!!

Greets,
      FATE

BORG

Comment

This is a good oppurtunity to improve our eastern cities into trading centers to improve our treasury. Every empire will soon flock for a trade agreement with us with the new harbors.
        "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

There is a great commotion in the streets of Rome. Not far off comes the sound of singing and chanting mixed with the bleating of animals. A crowd begins to gather and a murmur rises amongst the people.

"Who is this? "What can this be?"

The sound gets louder as the procession draws near.

Onlookers observe a tall man with black curly hair and a long clubbed beard. He wears a long red robe and walks barefoot. His eyes are fixed into the distance. To onlookers, it appears that he isn't looking at any one particular thing...but he seems to be looking beyond the people...beyond the buildings....beyond Rome itself. It is as if he sees something that is not there...something beyond reality...something beyond time.

In his left hand he holds a short sword while in his right he leads a large bull. His followers, numbering no less then 200 sing and chant and praise the sun while attendants herd a flock of sheep and goats behind the procession.

The man in the lead stops...he stares off into unknown planes of existence and addresses the crowd:

"I, Argus of Corinth, have come to Rome. I have seen what lies in it's future. I have seen the the consequences of your ways."

"In the East, rivers of blood flow. Mothers arm their sons and send them off to war. There is wailing in the streets. A two headed man sits atop a horse. One face is smiling, the other is cloaked in darkness. He holds in one hand a laurel, and in the other an asp. The sun is rising to his back as he stares towards the sea. This I have seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by TankBrigade View Post
            This is a good opportunity to improve our eastern cities into trading centers to improve our treasury. Every empire will soon flock for a trade agreement with us with the new harbors.
            This option holds much promise! But we must consider the words of the Seer!

Mercury may be frowning upon our endeavors and this message from Argus may be a foretelling we cannot ignore.

Remember he was right before!

Senator Torienus
            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
            _________
            BoRG

Comment

I, Bardas Phocas, favourite of Armenia, and ally of Rome, have seen the awesome power of Rome, as shown by the competion of the mighty Colleseum, but I too suggest caution.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

a combination of building more ships and trade with Parthia
                "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                "

Comment

Not smart idea, ace. We don't have enough money to make income from both investments. We have to concentrate on one investment and make it the best we can, otherwise we won't have any profit at all.
                  "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

"Romans, heed my words! This morning I awoke from a dream. In my vision I saw the Senate of Rome. The Emperor was seated in his chair, his hands stained with blood. Behind him stood Senators Plinius and Titus. Blood flowed from Plinius' wounds staining the feet and hands of the members of the senate. Senator Titus wailed and lamented a broken statue of Themis that lay at his feet.

In the center of the room, there was a pile of golden coins with the likeness of Pakoros. Around this pile of coins, lay a persian snake. The snake would uncoil and slither from Senator to Senator...poisoning each one in turn, and then finally the Emperor himself.

As the snake moved freely amongst the Senate, a man walked into the room. This man cast off his shackles of servitude and seized the snake, holding it up for all to see...And then my vision changed.

I then saw a far off land. I saw a man, great in stature and armed as if for war. The two headed man approaches him, and places the laurel upon his head....just as he shoves a knife into his gut.

And then I wake."

Comment

Step away from the whiskus...

Go back to sleep until it wears off!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

I believe building roads and looking dor trade routs to the east is our best action plan.

-Gaius Marius
                        Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                        I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

Mock me if you will...you will find my words hold truth. But then again, I could expect little less from those who sow corruption and sorrow.

Heed my words o Rome! If you do not abandon your evil ways and return to the ways of virtue, a new flood will be unleashed that will cleanse the Earth of Roman perversity. It will topple the false Roman gods from their altars, and destroy the foundations of Roman arrogance! This flood will not be of water, but will be the coming of the new religion! It will be the people who topple you and lay low your vile existence!

This is but a warning.

Comment

If I can work out how to enlarge it, I'll post the bigger version later.

"In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                            Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

Thanks for that AB, my print was covered in so many unit placements and movements, i was getting a bit confused of who was where.
                              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X