The Armenian senate poll 1 !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Armenian senate poll 1 !!!!

Dear players, welcome to the Armenian senate.

This temporary institution is called into being as place of debate and discussion for the three main political factions and their Armenian leaders: Bardas Phocas (Nick the Noodle), Seneos (Ace General) and Ariobarzalus (Kendoka Girl). The senate will be headed by General Paulus who is placed in charge of the nation until the war with Parthia comes to a successful conclusion. Of course other players are allowed to speak here also, but keep the yapping to the "Slaughtered Lamb" please!!!!

The Armenian senators will also receive a "limited" worksheet at the END OF EACH POLL which they will be able to use to oppose their opponents, bribe the Roman senators, generals or Armenian senators, organise bread distributions or games to appease the Armenian people etc...

By the end of game turn 6, Rome will have to decide which of the three main characters will rule Armenia after the withdrawal of the main Roman force.

Three polls will be added during this game turn. All will have to do with the “rebuilding” of Armenia after its short but brutal occupation, for it is of utmost importance that this satellite state becomes strong enough to lead a semi-autonomous policy.

General Paulus has first decided to focus his attention on ways of refilling the Armenian treasury for although it was mediocre prior to the war, now it is empty! Be advised that many of the poll options can be used combined, but we just want to focus on your MAIN solution to the problem for the game!

Let's get the debates going!!!!
    Send in Roman settlers to cultivate the Armenian lands and send Roman businessmen into the cities to raise trade?
    14.29%
    Demand that the Armenian élite contribute their wealth to the treasury…
    0.00%
    Raise higher taxes in the provinces…
    0.00%
    Give the Armenian minor nobility the opportunity to buy a position in the government...
    14.29%
    Rebuild the cities that have been destroyed during the war, this will give employment and will call for investors…
    71.43%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Stratego; 14 Dec 08, 17:52.
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Another short description of the three main Armenian political "greats":

The least liked among the Armenian senators but the most popular among the people is Bardas Phocas. 35 years of age of humble background as a horsemerchant and born from an Armenian father and Roman mother, he is considered as the ideal intermediary between the Armenian and Roman nations. He first came to prominence in the last year of the reign of Tigranes when the coup against him under Volosges was apparent. Backed by the pro-Roman clique in court and among the populace, he sounded the alarm bell against Parthian intervention in Armenia and showed himself as a staunch opponent against the ascendance of the new king. Although he tried to organize a rebellion against Volosges, this was unable to come to fruitation due to the swift intervention of Phraates and his conquering army. When news came that the entire court of Tigranes and all Pro-Roman citizens were slaughtered in their homes or imprisoned, Bardas Phocas was quick in fleeing eastwards, thereby escaping a certain execution. Soon after the battle of Tigranakert, he returned to the Armenian capital only to be welcomed by a crowd of jubilant citizens.
    Gifted with a handsome appearance and a passionate speaker that can arouse the people like no other, he has immediately sought contact with you, demanding to work together on the rebuilding and strengthening of the nation and its alliance. For the last two weeks he’s been always on your side whenever needed. He is helpful in this way that he knows perfectly what the ordinary Armenian people want, like and dislike. In the senate, he is a supporter of a continued diplomatic and military alliance with Rome with him as eventual leader of the Armenian government, whether it be a monarchy or a republic. It is no secret, that behind this seemingly plain Armenian trader a not to be foreseen ambition and iron will is hidden. Being only of a well to do middle class and due to his popularity amongst the mob he is disliked by the Armenian élite. They consider him a danger to the class order. Some senators have already whispered in your ear that he is a simple opportunist and not to be trusted!

The most popular in the senate is Seneos. In his late 40’s and one of the most wealthiest amongst the aristocracy, he is the most respected. He has served as advisor for the former King Tigranes thanks to his wits and wisdom, but was disgraced in the latter years of his reign. It is obvious that the man with long grey beard looks down upon you and is blunt enough to proclaim that Armenia doesn’t need the help of either Parthia nor Rome. He is convinced that Armenia can survive independently and that its real weakness thus far was due to the incompetence of the Armenian monarchy in trying to appease both nations at the same. Although he doesn’t hide the fact that he wants you and the entire Roman army away as soon as possible, he agrees to a continued military alliance and many trade benefits but want guarantees for a possible Armenian independence. Rumors and whispers go that he has had contact with the Parthians prior to the war with Rome and that he was a silent advocate of the coup against the reign of Tigranes. In short, his attitude towards you is cold and reluctant.

Ariobarzanus leads the conservative party. A distinguished man also in his late 40’s, he is the last surviving male of the Tyradid dynasty - the cousin of Tigranes on fathers side – yet, without any political influence or money. When Volosges came to the throne and all members of the dynasty and the court were murdered or imprisoned Ariobazanus, although imprisoned, managed to escape across the Roman border. He has joined the Roman army from the moment it set foot on Armenian territory but has been of little significance during the campaign thus far. He has returned to Tigranakert in the hope of receiving the Armenian throne now that he is the next in line. Supported by a third of the of the senate, he supports his ascendancy to the throne as a satellite state of Rome. Except for the royal blood running through his veins the man shows no signs of being capable in running a state. Although kind and polite, he seems deprived of any strength, not in his voice nor in his body. On the other side however he is said to be very intelligent and well educated in literature, philosophy and geography…but are these the traits of a future ruler????

Greets,
    FATE
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

I, Seneos, favor a policy of rebuilding and investment in armenia, but with one condition, the armenian army will be trained and equiped up to roman standards and it is under the command of Armenians. Now I will send troops to serve as auxila, but the majortiy of troops will serve under the armenian banner.

Seneos
      Free Armenian Legion Party

Comment

Ariobarzanus doesn't look anything like Kendoka Girl! No strength of mind, body or spirit? How will she play this man?
        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
        _________
        BoRG

Comment

Let me guess. Seneos is reincarnated Falco Jr.?
          "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

Seneos is rich. He should practice what he preaches and invest.
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
              Seneos is rich. He should practice what he preaches and invest.
              I have, I own a 15% stake in FalCo.

And to invest in armenia, I will bring in roman engineers and privatly fund to have a road built into armenia, and I will open up a trading company called Falco & Seneos Limited. Armenians shall learn the joy of Whiskus.

And speaking of the late General Falco, how can I be him reincarnated, as I am 5 years older than him

But I was a good friend of Falco the younger and his father. I was instrumental in establishing the free armenian legion with Falco the younger. I had the cash and contacts, while he had the military know-how and leadership ability

And also I served a few years leading a unit of auxila in service of the empire in the same legion as Falco the elder and have been friends with him ever since.

Seneos

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                Ariobarzanus doesn't look anything like Kendoka Girl! No strength of mind, body or spirit? How will she play this man?
                Well, that's what they thought of Charlemagne also and look how he turned out!!!!
                Look at Hamlet...
                Look at Claudius...
                All examples of people that seem to be weak, but in fact are very strong and capable!!!!

Greets,
                FATE

BORG

Comment

I, Bardas Phocas, favourite of Armenia, and ally of Rome, humbly request a position of authority to help in the rebuilding of our fair country, and willing to donate to Roman charitable concerns to do so.
                  How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

General Paulus, Senators & Citizens of Armenia, hear my humble call:

Though you now find yourselves amidst great debate & significant matters of state...

Now is also a time to either bathe, or leave the bath house, regards our common Parthian foe!

Such as veteran recruits are expected, & incumbant upon the blessings of General Paulus, I require an Auxila of 1000 of Armenias best & most loyal Cavalry - flying Armenias flag & fully under my command - to serve with the Cavalry of Legio IV. So, too, shall 500 be accepted to serve - under Armenias flag & my command - with the Cavalry of Legio XX - slayers of the tyrant Volosges.

I respectfully request & urge you... send them at once!

Such as it will be, should you provide them...

By my Roman honor & blood... so shall we - together - slay the Parthian jackals where we find them!

Scipius
                    Commander of Cavalry
                    Legio XX, Legio IV
                    Last edited by Admiral; 15 Dec 08, 08:31.
                    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Ace_General View Post
                      And speaking of the late General Falco, how can I be him reincarnated, as I am 5 years older than him.
                      Maybe Seneos was bred as empty vessel for Falco?
                      "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

I, Bardas Phocas, favourite of Armenia, and ally of Rome, will supply the horses at the very least, and be willing to fight alongside my Roman and Armenian friends !
                        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

People of Rome, let us show our appreciation to the Armenians by rebuilding their cities and electing the most popular leader among their people, Bardas. In order to prevent another war we must make the people love us so that they will be completly hostile to future invaders.
                          "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

Originally posted by TankBrigade View Post
                            People of Rome, let us show our appreciation to the Armenians by rebuilding their cities and electing the most popular leader among their people, Bardas. In order to prevent another war we must make the people love us so that they will be completly hostile to future invaders.
                            Completely hostile to Foreign invaders?

I sense blowback in the future

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                              General Paulus, Senators & Citizens of Armenia, hear my humble call:

Though you now find yourselves amidst great debate & significant matters of state...

Now is also a time to either bathe, or leave the bath house, regards our common Parthian foe!

Such as veteran recruits are expected, & incumbant upon the blessings of General Paulus, I require an Auxila of 1000 of Armenias best & most loyal Cavalry - flying Armenias flag & fully under my command - to serve with the Cavalry of Legio IV. So, too, shall 500 be accepted to serve - under Armenias flag & my command - with the Cavalry of Legio XX - slayers of the tyrant Volosges.

I respectfully request & urge you... send them at once!

Such as it will be, should you provide them...

By my Roman honor & blood... so shall we - together - slay the Parthian jackals where we find them!

Scipius
                              Commander of Cavalry
                              Legio XX, Legio IV
                              Now, the free armenian legion will raise the Ala Milliariae(1000) and Alae(500) of Calvary, but I ask to be teh commander of the Ala Milliariae. You will still be in overall command, but I will be the unit commander, and I ask that all the officers be armenian. Falco Tiberius will lead Alae.

And also, I ask that my armenains stay in the east, I.E. don't cross the agean/bohphorus and nile. And they are to fight the duration of the war but can choose to reenlist in the roman army after the war.

Isn't it intersting that when there are calls to fight Horse trader boy chooses to stay at home. Phocas is not a true armenian patriot, let me tell you what he is, an Appeaser Sure, the masses love him now, but, not now, not tommorrow, not next year, but one day, when the legions return to Armenia to make it a roman providence, he will sell Armenia out.

Sure cooperation with the Romans now is good, as after all they helped oust the Armenians oppressers, but, one day, they will take over our lands and call them there own. Then, who will help us, what will become of armenia.

The Romans have broken our chains, but with Phocas, his appeasement will trade one set of chains for another.

Seneos

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X