Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPQR Gameturn 5D: The Fate of Armenia

Senators and Citizens of Rome!

Armenia is being rebuilt by Rome under the Great Statesmanship of the ever efficient General Paulus. He has approached the Emperor for guidance. The Emperor will present the choices regarding the future of Armenia for consideration by the Senate and People.

Originally Posted by Stratego
    2nd of june

General Paulus,

You have successfully set up an Armenian parliament in Tigranakert compromising 80 senators. They are a mixed lot, largely compromising the Armenian élite but also a portion of less wealthy Armenians representing the voice of the common citizens. Just like in Rome however there is quickly a lot of bickering and debate in this political institution. Now that the Parthians have been kicked out of Armenia, the question is soon raised what will become of the nation. Will it become another province directly subordinate to the Roman Empire, will it become a satellite state, formally independent but still under surveillance of Rome or will it gain its full independence?

In the newly formed Armenian senate three men stand out from the other 77, raising their voices and backed by a large number of their political colleagues. These three men represent the three parties wrestling with each other for the most influence.

The least liked among the Armenian senators but the most popular among the people is Bardas Phocas. 35 years of age of humble background as a horsemerchant and born from an Armenian father and Roman mother, he is considered as the ideal intermediary between the Armenian and Roman nations. He first came to prominence in the last year of the reign of Tigranes when the coup against him under Volosges was apparent. Backed by the pro-Roman clique in court and among the populace, he sounded the alarm bell against Parthian intervention in Armenia and showed himself as a staunch opponent against the ascendance of the new king. Although he tried to organize a rebellion against Volosges, this was unable to come to fruitation due to the swift intervention of Phraates and his conquering army. When news came that the entire court of Tigranes and all Pro-Roman citizens were slaughtered in their homes or imprisoned, Bardas Phocas was quick in fleeing eastwards, thereby escaping a certain execution. Soon after the battle of Tigranakert, he returned to the Armenian capital only to be welcomed by a crowd of jubilant citizens.
    Gifted with a handsome appearance and a passionate speaker that can arouse the people like no other, he has immediately sought contact with you, demanding to work together on the rebuilding and strengthening of the nation and its alliance. For the last two weeks he’s been always on your side whenever needed. He is helpful in this way that he knows perfectly what the ordinary Armenian people want, like and dislike. In the senate, he is a supporter of a continued diplomatic and military alliance with Rome with him as eventual leader of the Armenian government, whether it be a monarchy or a republic. It is no secret, that behind this seemingly plain Armenian trader a not to be foreseen ambition and iron will is hidden. Being only of a well to do middle class and due to his popularity amongst the mob he is disliked by the Armenian élite. They consider him a danger to the class order. Some senators have already whispered in your ear that he is a simple opportunist and not to be trusted!
    The most popular in the senate is Seneos. In his late 40’s and one of the most wealthiest amongst the aristocracy, he is the most respected. He has served as advisor for the former King Tigranes thanks to his wits and wisdom, but was disgraced in the latter years of his reign. It is obvious that the man with long grey beard looks down upon you and is blunt enough to proclaim that Armenia doesn’t need the help of either Parthia nor Rome. He is convinced that Armenia can survive independently and that its real weakness thus far was due to the incompetence of the Armenian monarchy in trying to appease both nations at the same. Although he doesn’t hide the fact that he wants you and the entire Roman army away as soon as possible, he agrees to a continued military alliance and many trade benefits but want guarantees for a possible Armenian independence. Rumors and whispers go that he has had contact with the Parthians prior to the war with Rome and that he was a silent advocate of the coup against the reign of Tigranes. In short, his attitude towards you is cold and reluctant.
    Ariobarzanus leads the conservative party. A distinguished man also in his late 40’s, he is the last surviving male of the Tyradid dynasty - the cousin of Tigranes on fathers side – yet, without any political influence or money. When Volosges came to the throne and all members of the dynasty and the court were murdered or imprisoned Ariobazanus, although imprisoned, managed to escape across the Roman border. He has joined the Roman army from the moment it set foot on Armenian territory but has been of little significance during the campaign thus far. He has returned to Tigranakert in the hope of receiving the Armenian throne now that he is the next in line. Supported by a third of the of the senate, he supports his ascendancy to the throne as a satellite state of Rome. Except for the royal blood running through his veins the man shows no signs of being capable in running a state. Although kind and polite, he seems deprived of any strength, not in his voice nor in his body. On the other side however he is said to be very intelligent and well educated in literature, philosophy and geography…but are these the traits of a future ruler????

So Paulus, how do you feel Armenia should be run in the future?

Which of these three candidates receive your preference as leading politicians or king in the future?
    Perhaps it is not a bad idea to forward this important question to the Emperor.

Greets,
    FATE
    Armenia should become a Roman Province
    23.53%
    Armenia should become a Satellite State subordinate to Rome
    64.71%
    Armenia should be granted full independence
    5.88%
    Enough with Polls, let the Emperor decide! That's what Emperors are for!
    5.88%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Salinator; 30 Nov 08, 19:02.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

EASTCOM, a proposal

Now, I know it would enhance roman pride to integrate Armenia into a roman providence, what will the war we fought stand for, as the armenian people will see us as just another occupier.

But, if we go for the politcally correct solution, the parthians or sythcians or whoever selse will just swoop into armenia and take it like it did before

Now I support have armenia integrated as a satellite nation, but under one condition

We MUST have control of the armenian military, as I think we need to integrate the command of the eastern roman legions and the armenian military into one unit.

We must do this so in case of the next attack into armenia, we are not caught flat footed and our first response is not a half drunk idiot savant general and a dozen cavalrymen.

I say we call this new command EASTCOM and have Paulus as its first commander.

Now, also, I say we train the armenian army up to snuff so they can hold the parthians off till roman help arrives instead of having there whole country overrun before we even knew what happened. I will donate weapons and armor from my smithies to equip the armenian army if need be

Now, the parthian invasion of armenia and our response showed several systemic failures that were only overcome by the wits of general Paulus and the bravery and steadfastness of our legions. We got lucky this time, but as romans, we should not rely one luck.

That is what I propose that Rome needs to do to secure her Eastern Border

Falco Tiberius

Comment

Sounds to me that we should back Bardas Phocas and help him establish a vassal state to the Empire.

Then we would have free access to resources and control of the Parthian Border. The People of Armenia seem to want this as well. We should also press our advantage with Parthia at this time and negotiate some big concessions for their hostilities. These funds could be used to win the Hearts & Minds of the Armenian People and rebuild their country.

Citizen Torienus
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
        Sounds to me that we should back Bardas Phocas and help him establish a vassal state to the Empire.

Then we would have free access to resources and control of the Parthian Border. The People of Armenia seem to want this as well. We should also press our advantage with Parthia at this time and negotiate some big concessions for their hostilities. These funds could be used to win the Hearts & Minds of the Armenian People and rebuild their country.

Citizen Torienus
        Torienus,

Send out your Heralds. All must vote and opine!

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
          Torienus,

Send out your Heralds. All must vote and opine!
          Aye, aye, Sir!

Torienus
          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
          _________
          BoRG

Comment

Armenia should become part of Grossvandaland. The Vandals need lebensraum. In exchange we will give Rome 5,000 Slavic guest workers.

Comment

15,000 auxila and a treaty to protect rome and you got yourself a deal

But Im not emperor, so have fun

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                Armenia should become part of Grossvandaland. The Vandals need lebensraum. In exchange we will give Rome 5,000 Slavic guest workers.
                How intriging an offer. Arbeit macht frei!

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

Armenia ?? -- Hmmm -- Can they be trusted ?? After all, Armenia is overrun with - well -- umm -- Armenians -- that can't be good !!

This is a weighty decision that requires considerable contemplation.
                  I like Dogs far better than most People

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
                    How intriging an offer. Arbeit macht frei!
                    Work Free? Is this a reference to the Guest Worker Program?

(The Emperor's Latin has a strange tone to it!)
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

Anyone that would like to work for free is welcome to seek employment at my humble establishment - we will reluctantly meet your wage demands - green cards are not checked and there are no benefits.

We welcome all applicants with open arms

Franzius of Noricum - Entrepreneur Extraordinar

Guarding the Gates to Freedom with an Iron Fist and unequaled vigilance !!

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Franz View Post
                        Anyone that would like to work for free is welcome to seek employment at my humble establishment - we will reluctantly meet your wage demands - green cards are not checked and there are no benefits.

We welcome all applicants with open arms

Franzius of Noricum - Entrepreneur Extraordinar

Guarding the Gates to Freedom with an Iron Fist and unequaled vigilance !!
                        Ja, Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Franzius

Comment

So habe Ich es gesagt - so wirt es gemacht !

Und auch sofort bitte -- wir haben keine ziet zum spielen

Pardon my spelling -- I don't have the right keyboard

BoRG

Comment

I would recommend we take Armenia as a province of Rome. That way we no longer have to worry about there stability, reliability, and security. It is much smarter of us to take advantage of the situation while we have the army there to enforce policies with.

Regards
                            -Gaius, Commander Praetorian Guard
                            General of Rome.
                            Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                            I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Patton 7079 View Post
                              I would recommend we take Armenia as a province of Rome. That way we no longer have to worry about there stability, reliability, and security. It is much smarter of us to take advantage of the situation while we have the army there to enforce policies with.

Regards
                              -Gaius, Commander Praetorian Guard
                              General of Rome.
                              My dear Praetorian,

If we choose to occupy then we have an armenian resistance and that will tie several legions for several years and many young men will die needlessly. And thats if the parthians choose to stay quiet

You must remember how strong the resistance is. They rose up and kicked teh parthians out of there capital. Now they could not defeat us, but they could fight a long gruilla war that would cost rome alot of Treasure and blood.

And is it right to fight a war to free a people of foreign occupiers and then occupy the country ourselves.

Have we lost our sense of Roman honor and virtune

Falco Tiberius

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X