This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas at The Slaughtered Lamb

It has been some years since the inn has seen so much activity. Ostrich legs are still forbiddened inside. On the wall above the door to the kitchen is nailed a single bloody sandal, the only trace of Cleitus found after The Night of the 17th, that dreadful night when hundreds, perhaps even thousands of Roman citizens were brutally massacred as they took to the streets to challenge the authority of Torienus and Gaius.

Christianity had really taken off since the granting of equal rights to all by the late Emperor Salinatorius. Parthians have replaced Christians as the food of choice for lions at the colosseum.

The Slaughtered Lamb is cheerfully decorated with boughs and hollies inside and out. Even the hitching post in the side alley made famous by Karma has been sanitized and decorated. Above the front portal stands out the symbol of Christianity, the Fermented Fish:

Clovis-Sister of Cleitus is busy lighting all the candles and checking on the feast of the night: Turduckin with Fermented Fish.

Guests are beginning to arrive. The place is alive with songs and laughter. Young children (so many of them named Sal) scampers about.

Suddenly, all commotion stops as the front door swings open.......the "special guest" has arrived!

HO HO HO!!!!

In walks Fat Antonius, now the most powerful Senator and the richest Roman in all of the Empire. Sporting a white beard and dressed in an ill fitting red toga bought from Franzius, he makes his grand entry. Slung over his shoulder is a brown burlap sack.........................

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!!!!

BoRG
    Last edited by Salinator; 24 Dec 10, 16:34.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• From Elysium Furius looks down upon the Ancient City together with Scipius, Gaius, Torienius, Plinius, Salinatorius, Drusus, Julius and all the others that once were his enemies or friends in the other life...

As he sees his once arch-enemy enter the Slaughtered Lamb in a red toga, a grin appears on his face and his spirit lights up...

"What worries did I have among the living, they don't mean anything anymore. Mind as well admit that that Antonius outbested me...let him enjoy his power and wealth then, in the end, it's only temporary"

He then turns away, contented, as his spirit dissolves into the peacefulness of eternity together with the millions of others.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

BORG
      Last edited by Stratego; 24 Dec 10, 16:34.
      Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

• Summer
        106 AD- Parthian border

ARCHERS!!

The Warning comes and the Testudo forms in an instant.

Rattling thuds follow as the missiles impact. Lucky this time, but what about the next? thinks Centurion Ceranato. Looking at the men he can see under cover of their overlapping Scutums he surveys their steadiness, checking for any signs of fear or panic.

"No worries hey lads? we're no pincushions for these Persian dogs!" not yet anyway he adds to himself.

"Hold firm, the Legate will have us out of this quicker than the ****** on the Aventine can strip your purse!" The last he has to shout as another volly impacts their shields. peeking through the gaps he can see scores of mounted archers encircling his men. Easily two to three times his number of 84, and veterans though they are he knows they are easy meat for horse-borne fighters; archers or no.

"Centurion, I have a suggestion!" this from Decurion Mekelades. Ceranato silently curses himself for ever suggesting Perenaeus Mekelades for promotion to Ceranatos former rank and position. Not that the man wasn't qualified, but it meant Ceranato had to listen to his Sarcasm more than he would like.

"If we're relying on your strategy now Decurion then I might as well order the men to strip down and offer themselves as wives to these perfumed bastards"

True to their training and the discipline instilled in them none of the legionary's laughed at this gibe.

"No Centurion that's not what I meant. I've no strategy for our current situation, but I've a feeling I know why we're in this position in the first place"

Ceranato pauses before responding, wondering exactly how much Mekelades could know of their reasons for being trapped and encircled by the enemy.

"Go ahead then Decurion, enlighten us as to your reasoning. No doubt your Greek education has made you a master of observation and deduction. So by all means deduce away, but try not to release sensitive strategy while your at it. It could be dangerous for you"

Mekelades proceeds without any hesitation "Well Sir, it would seem to me that we've been trying to engage the Parthians for two months now with little success. Every time we form the Legions to fight them they just ride around us and either ride away or pepper us with arrows before riding away.'

"They harass us in march and harass us in camp but they're unwilling to have a stand up fight."

"So what's your point Decurion?"

"Well Sir it seems to me that the Legate may be wanting to lure our enemies by sending out our Century and having us ‘occupy’ their attention as it were. Seems to me sir that it would be good way to get to grips with them sir.”

The thunder of hooves on the hard dirt drowned out any further conversation as the Parthians got closer to their stranded formation. The noises of the impacts from the volleys near continuous.. Here and there grunts mixed with curses and cries of pain come from the soldiers as shots pierce the heavy shields here and there, finding weak spots and punching through to pin hands, wrists and arms to the scutums.

They’re waiting for us to break and then they’ll either punch us full of arrows or simply ride us down. thinks Ceranato. Anytime for a rescue would be good he thinks.

Shouts of alarm can be heard coming from outside their massed shields. And then the voices seem to become afraid. Then the sound or horns ring out, surprisingly close. Not Persian horns, but Roman Cornua! Then Centurion hears the war-cry of the Legion and the thundering sound not of hooves, but sandal shod feet, thousands of them; seeming to come from all around them. Screaming now replaces the Parthian voices and Roman war-cries. Joined by the ring of steel on steel.

The volleys have ceased to hit their shields and Centurion Ceranato orders them to break formation.

The Century swiftly forms into close order again. To see their brothers of the Legion tearing into the Parthians whom they have surrounded. By the time they have begun to engage there is no-one left to fight.

Looking around Ceranato sees the Standards approaching and with them his Legate.
        He heels his horse up to the Centurion and though he does not smile there is an air of satisfaction about him.

The Centurion salutes his General who responds in kind.

“Well met Centurion” nods the Legate.

“Well met indeed Legate Flavius, and well timed Sir.”

“Your men did well, and if I had the time they would all be honoured, but as it is we are leaving.”

“Leaving Legate? May I ask where?”

The Legate Jenarus Flavius looks to his once-Decurion and nods, a tight smile now gracing his features.

“Aye Adolphus, we leaving, for Rome”

“Rome Legate? Have we been recalled?”

“Rome has called for us Adolphus and we’re answering her call… all of us.”

Adolphus’ eyes widen as he realizes what his Legate means.

He salutes again.

“Aye My Legate. To Rome”

There's Your present Torien

Merry Christmas all!!
        BoRG
        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• Thanks for another round of SPQR intrigue, my friends.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to us all!
          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
          _________
          BoRG

Comment

• Merry Christmas to all of SPQR's veterans...

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Suddenly, all commotion stops as the front door swings open.......the "special guest" has arrived!

HO HO HO!!!!

In walks Fat Antonius, now the most powerful Senator and the richest Roman in all of the Empire. Sporting a white beard and dressed in an ill fitting red toga bought from Franzius, he makes his grand entry. Slung over his shoulder is a brown burlap sack.........................

And perhaps some sort of preservative... He's taken on a special aroma that would upset Fate himself and wake the corpse of Falco the Filthy.
            "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• The Roman Legion according to Falco:

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
              _________
              BoRG

Comment

• Good one senator Torienus...

Have one on me!
                Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

• I admit, I'm terribly sneaky and I'm ashamed about it

I sometimes read the conversations on the profiles the various players had while playing SPQR...I sometimes even go back to page 40...

Just to feel the fun, the comradeship, the backstabbing and the intrigue once again

I think I need to go to 'SPQRA' for councelling.

Greets,
                  FATE

BORG

Comment

• Yeah, and there are still secrets I been trying to uncover.....................

________

BoRG
                    Last edited by Salinator; 23 Jan 11, 00:35.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      Yeah, and there are still secrets I been trying to uncover.....................
                      I believe the Department of Romeland Security frowns on such curiosity.
                      BoRG
                      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Yeah, and there are still secrets I been trying to uncover.....................
                        Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                        I believe the Department of Romeland Security frowns on such curiosity.
                        I think it's next on WikiLeak's agenda...
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
                          I think it's next on WikiLeak's agenda...
                          That would be true revelations!

Jason: "Apocalypse Now!"

BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Well it's been awhile since I've visited the forums with any regularity...life's gotten busy, at college now--but is SPQR still alive and well? It seems as though it more or less is from this thread but thought I'd ask. I'm still somewhat interested...know I kind of jumped in at the end of one of the previous games and not sure I did all that well, but it was fun.

And very very belated Christmas greetings to you all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander View Post
                              Well it's been awhile since I've visited the forums with any regularity...life's gotten busy, at college now--but is SPQR still alive and well? It seems as though it more or less is from this thread but thought I'd ask. I'm still somewhat interested...know I kind of jumped in at the end of one of the previous games and not sure I did all that well, but it was fun.

And very very belated Christmas greetings to you all.
                              Welcome back, Senator!

SPQR still lives on for many of us.

There was an earlier attempt for a short funy prequel to be followed by an SPQR II, but real life made Stratego too busy and it had to be shelved for now. We of course are still eagerly waiting..........

WE ARE BoRG

BoRG
                              Last edited by Salinator; 23 Jan 11, 00:59.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

Welcome back, Senator!

SPQR still lives on for many of us.

There was an earlier attempt for a short funy prequel to be followed by an SPQR II, but real life made Stratego too busy and it had to be shelved for now. We of course are still eagerly waiting..........

WE ARE BoRG

BoRG
                                Thank you Emperor! It is good to be back. My brief sabbatical from the Senate has ended and I'm happy to have returned, and to learn that I have not much has occurred in my absence.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X