This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stratego View Post

Sorry gents no time...too busy looking for a job and starting my business !
    I'm just going to pretend that I didn't see that post and continue on my way

la la dee da da!
    BoRG
    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Sorry gents no time...too busy looking for a job and starting my business !
      We'll just pretend he didn't say that...

SPQR will return!

Edit: Shawn and I had the same idea!
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

• Sons and Fathers

SPQR…

106 AD

A jingle of harness and the clop of shod hooves fill the ears. The glare of the unhooded Sun blazes into the faces of the riders who stop as they crest the hill halting near a monument raised to the Legions IV, XX, XXIV and their fallen soldiers.

The lead rider looks to the south, gazing upon the town of Nisibis where he can see traffic moving in and out of the open gates. The ports south of the city are full of masts and business seems brisk. The smells of the city waft upon the breeze, bringing comments from the Riders companions.

“Gods! What a stench! What foulness is that?” asks Adolphus Ceranato.

The Rider smiles never taking his eyes from the scene.

“It’s a combination of spices, fulling pits, tanning shops, beasts, and waste; both theirs and human. In short Adolphus, all the smells of a City.”

“Our Cities don’t stink like that! Rome doesn’t stink like that! These people are truly barbarians! Come Jenarus, why have you led us here! This is a merry detour to come all this way to see a pig sty!”

“Actually Rome does smell this way… it smells worse to be honest, it’s just a smell you were used to because you lived amidst it… trust me when you finally return to the Mother-city the ‘perfume’ of Roma will have you spilling your guts at the 5 mile marker. Your nose and stomach will betray you for a day or two and then you will cease to notice it again… it is always thus.”

Heeling his mount to sidle next to Adolphus he continues “and just for the record Adolphus…I didn’t lead you anywhere, you followed of you own accord… you could have stayed with the rest of the replacements and have joined up with Adiutrix by now”

A grunt from his companion: “Aye and been pulling camp duty for my trouble too, but seriously, why have you come here?”

Jenarus Flavius swivels his mount around and points to an outline familiar to both of them

“You see that?” he asks pointing to it:

Adolphus nods,

“Of course I see it, it’s the ruins of a Castra. You came here to see that?!”

Jenarus looks at him for a moment with a smile before looking back to the outline of old embankments in the dry earth.

“I did Decurion, I did indeed. You see my father built that camp twenty-four years ago.”

Adolphus tenses slightly recognising the return to formality, “Your father Tribune? He was here?”

“Aye Decurion he was. He was a tribune under the Legate Rubinus…Legio XXIV Appolinaris. He commanded the Second Cohort, and that’s where he had placed his Cohort.”

Adolphus looks upon the ruin with new interest as this is one of the only times that Jenarus Flavius has ever spoken of his father the Tribune Quintus Flavius.

Jenarus points at the monument next to the road.

“That tells the basics of it all. Legios IV Scythia, XX Hercules, and the XXIVth came here to quell the Parthian uprising as this was where the army of Phraates of Parthia had fallen back to.
        The legions had a line of approach that Stretched from the north-east over there to almost the rivers bank down there to the south-west. A bloody huge amount of men, almost twenty three thousand all told… not counting support.”

“They came and took this city by siege. A quick siege if I remember.

My Father told me the tales when I was a boy after he returned, and I always wanted to see where it happened.”

Adolphus turned to Jenarus, a new interest in his eyes.

“ The IVth Scythia, XXth and XXIVth? They weren’t all commanded by Rubinus were they?”

Jenarus shakes his head as he turns his mount away from the ruins and puts the horse into motion towards the port.

“No the Legate Scipius was the other commander out here.”

“Scipius? the brother of the old Emperor? Salinatorius?”

“Indeed, the very same” nods the younger Flavius.

“T’was a pity when he died, I was still only a tadpole but I remember the city mourning” adds Adolphus. “ Don’t remember what he died from though”

Pulling ahead of Adolphus slightly Jenarus Flavius is silent for a moment, remembering the events during his all too brief childhood.

“I believe food poisoning”

“Really? What did he eat?”

“Fermented Fish.”
        Last edited by Arthwys; 17 Aug 10, 16:51.
        BoRG

Comment

• Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

• Indeed. Great story Shawn! Way to keep the Brotherhood alive!
            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
            _________
            BoRG

Comment

• Got rep for that one Shawn, very good work mate.
              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
              Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

• Way to go!!!

We are BoRG!!!

Very creative and funny, Arthway.......

Falco had suggested the idea of writing about and expanding the characters after the game. Too bad he is not around to see it. And he missed his long sought after battle with the Parthians on top of all that.

_________

BoRG
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• Ohhh man...
                  This game just haunts me...
                  After two years the title SPQR still pops up every week or two...

There is not a month that passes that I don't say to myself: "Is it time to start SPQR II?"
                  Then my conscious answers: "No, Jason, you don't have the spare time to organize such a game and bring it to its rightful conclusion...yet"

Greets,
                  FATE
                  Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

Ohhh man...
                    This game just haunts me...
                    After two years the title SPQR still pops up every week or two...

There is not a month that passes that I don't say to myself: "Is it time to start SPQR II?"
                    Then my conscious answers: "No, Jason, you don't have the spare time to organize such a game and bring it to its rightful conclusion...yet"

Greets,
                    FATE

Yes you do. Yes you do. Yes you do. C'mon, say it with me...
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

• Yes, yes you do...
                      Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
                        Yes you do. Yes you do. Yes you do. C'mon, say it with me...
                        Peer pressure! Awesome!

For all our 'jonesing' I'm sure we'd rather have the game you want to present, rather than something not fully fleshed out and to your satisfaction.

However that doesn't mean I'm not going to keep writing SPQR based stories to drive people nuts in anticipation of a new SPQR experience.

Not that I mean to drive them nuts. I just like to keep it all alive.
                        BoRG

Comment

• I'm buying the next round of drinks. Anybody joining me?

_________
                          BoRG

Comment

• 93 A.D.

A young man enters the ‘Slaughtered Lamb’ accompanied by two others: a slim, seemingly harmless young aristocrat and another, obvious from the lower classes but a giant of a kid.
                            The young man, although not ugly, seems to have an uncomfortable mean glance in his eyes.

After having ordered the drinks, he sits down at a table already reserved by his two companions in the far side of the tavern.
                            They are not loud, but instead speak as if they are afraid that somebody might overhear them. The young aristocrat with them even seems nervous.
                            In any case, it is clear that something is being planned.
                            After about 10 minutes, an old skinny man comes in. The giant stands up, meets him and leads them to the table:

“Are you Septimus Furius?”

“Yes I am” the young man answers “do you have the suff?”

“You have the eyes of your father”

After that, the old scruffy man pulls up a sack from under his cloak and pushes it over to the other side of the table. After that he takes a gulp of the brew offered to him.

“His death will be painful, a few drips are enough”

“Great! I don’t want him to have a swift and painless one…he must suffer!” Furius whispers with a grin as he nods to his friend the aristocrat.

At his turn, a sack of coins appears and is pushed across the table which the old man accepts with much glee.

-------------------

Having wished his clients a good evening, the old scruffy man leaves the ‘Slaughtered Lamb’ in a visible haste, his sack of gold coins firmly hidden in his arms.

It doesn’t take long for him to notice that he is followed by a large shadowy figure. He wants to run, but is suddenly overcome by a terrible pain. He stumbles and falls, gasping for breath in a dark deserted ally of the Roman slums.

The figure following him approaches him.

In his dying breath the old man sees the face of the giant that he just left behind in the tavern. The sack of coins is ripped from his grasp.

“Consider yourself lucky treacherous spy, your master Antonius will NOT enjoy a swift death like yours.”

Greets,
                            FATE
                            Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

BORG

Comment

“Consider yourself lucky treacherous spy, your master Antonius will NOT enjoy a swift death like yours.”
                              "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Very Nice!
                                BoRG

Comment

Working...
                                X