This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stratego View Post

Hey Cleitus ! Isn't it time for you to get a pooltable, so we can play some pool while waiting?
    Has anyone actually seen Cleitus in The Slaughtered Lamb?
    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

Comment

• no, did he go on vacation.
      Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
      I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
        Has anyone actually seen Cleitus in The Slaughtered Lamb?
        You didn't see the list of the Three Hundred Victims Slaughtered by the Praetorian Guard? Why do you think his sister Clovis is running things? And why the Emperor is helping out all he could?
        Last edited by Salinator; 01 Apr 09, 22:10.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• Huh, We slaughtered one hundred people...? and There was a list...

(if I was to slaughter people it would be more, cause sal... Anything you can do I can do better)
          Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me

Comment

• Originally posted by Patton 7079 View Post
            Huh, We slaughtered one hundred people...? and There was a list...

(if I was to slaughter people it would be more, cause sal... Anything you can do I can do better)
            It would be a "more casual" slaughter?
            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
            _________
            BoRG

Comment

• no, cause= because

nice LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
                It would be a "more casual" slaughter?

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

• Greetings Fellows!

Instead of just being the background heckler I've been graciously granted a character in SPQR...WOO HOO!

Being new I'll try not to get too carried away with myself.
                  I have to say, what with reading the threads for the SPQR history I'm looking forward to Turn 9 ( after we spank the Parthians of course )

Legate Valerius Cornelius Magnus
                  BoRG
                  "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaiser Franz View Post
                    If you go visit Sal -- try to avoid the Fermented Fish he's bound to offer a visitor

Franzius of Noricum -- suffering terrible indigestion -- those 1000 year old eggs aren't sitting well.
                    I'll be sure to keep this in mind....

Senator Quintus Vespillo

Comment

• Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post
                      I'll be sure to keep this in mind....

Senator Quintus Vespillo
                      Barbarians!

Fermented fish and Thousand Year Old Eggs counter each other. Eat them together is best for gastro health!
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                        Barbarians!

Fermented fish and Thousand Year Old Eggs counter each other. Eat them together is best for gastro health!
                        I feel that having someone ELSE eat them together is safer for MY gastro health
                        BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                          Barbarians!

Could I perhaps opt for the traditional Roman bread, cheese, and wine instead? I think that would sit better with my stomach...

Senator Quintus Vespillo

Comment

• Fellow Romans & general patrons of the lamb, I have received victorious news from the east, & a copy of a dispatch from General Scipius to his commanders!
                            Originally posted by General Scipius
                            Tribunes, Soldiers of Rome and Armeina:

When the Parthian forces of Phraates made the tactical blunder of assuming that Roman forces would habitually & hastily seek earth shattering engagement of their forces, regardless of location or disposition, the mold of their defeat was cast. By their retreat back into the fortified city of Nisibis following our glorious rout of them on the immediate cusp of their renewed offensive on Armenia, they mistakenly placed themselves within the confines of their own self made prison. Their only hope of victory in the siege of Nisibis was by harried engagement of forces filled with - and blinded by - a blood lust for total destruction of their fortified redoubt.

As has so obviously been my strategic judgment - from the very conclusion of their rout & beginning of this fortuitous happenstance - by observation, consideration & logical deduction of their own self induced predicament... that one only need enforce & influence the conditions of their own imprisonment, harrasingly from without & insidiously - as well as covertly - from within, to win by ultimately denying them the strategic thing they depended upon & sought most - an ultimate gnashing & tactical advantage played upon the irrationality inherent in a blood lust blinded assault against a nearly immovable object.

Nay, Tribunes of Rome... we have not - nor will we - be so blinded by sole focus upon the needless & reckless waste of our soldiers, our strength, our very real, tangible glory & honor in remaining as fully intact & ably imposing as to bring ultimate decision in Romes full favor against all of Parthia, not just that portion of Parthian strength now defeated by their own actions by their own imprisonment within Nisibis...

Nay, we have maintained & increased our enemy's suffering, reduced their abilities, & crushed their will for ultimate battle by imposing the realities of their own self imposed imprisonment - by our certain maintenance of it - & its inherent vulnerabilities to their simple survival... and done so while not submitting, as well as succumbing to extreme loss for little more than immediate gratification & fleeting glory which would be accompanied by such degradation & certain cost to our ultimate extant power & ability to remain fully in & able to remain victoriously as the very walls of Rome & Armenia against further Parthian offense & design in this war.

Hear me, my fellow Romans & Armenians... just as it is to ones crass & often decisive disadvantage to interrupt an enemy's choice & conduct of mistaken strategies... so, too, is it to ones own strategic advantage to encourage their pursuits of them & tactically play upon the result in such manner as to magnify the devastating consequences wrought upon an enemy by their own pursuit & conduct of such flawed tactics.

Even in pursuit of holding Phraates to his prison & our covert harassments within it, our own forces have sustained losses approaching 30% - primarily among our lesser experienced, hardened & battle wise recruits. If you find yourself questioning the wisdom of our seeming lack of all out offensive actions, weigh it against the certain casualties & losses which would have been certain had all out Roman offensive - the hand wielding Gladius - against the stone wall of Nisibis - offering those within the luxury of passive protection from whence to visit certain devastation & attrition upon the unprotected - would have yielded, then ask yourself how the result would serve all Romes expectation & resolve that we remain steadfastly opposed to, & ultimately victorious against all Parthia!

We are victorious at Nisibis - this is certain - but Nisibis is not all Parthia!

Roman Victory against Parthia comes only when all Parthia submits to the concession of it by Parthian Decree & total withdrawal from the conflict & demands beyond their borders... or its total military defeat & full civil submission to Rome is complete!

It is difficult to refrain warriors from the conduct of their craft...

It is equally difficult to remain seized of ones strategic & tactical wits such that one realizes victory in the face of defeat!

Regardless of the treachery & total desertion of the greater portions of Roman power in the east under the traitor Drusus...

The Victorious Legio's Of Rubinus & Scipius Stand To Our Duty & Roman Charge!

We remain commited to the better interests of all Rome and her people!

Victa Roma!

Scipius
                            General of Rome
                            Legatus - Legio IV, Legio XX

Governor of Cappadocia & Judea

Supreme Military Commander - Parthia/Armenia
                            Guardian of Rome

Cleitus, I believe a round on the house is in order!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• To all the SPQR players, the veterans as well as the newbies...

In order to pick up the story in the next gameturn after a pause of two weeks, I decided to write a brief synopsis of all that happened in gameturn 8.
                              This way we can roll right in from where we left when gameturn 9 starts !

At the beginning of gameturn 7, in july 82 A.D. to be precise, Captain Gaius has successfully planned a coup against Emperor Sal with the support of the Senatorial Party under senator Torienus. The reason for this was senator Torienus’ numerous charges against the Emperor and his followers, senators Antonius and Flavian and Marcus Tarquinius for the murder of senator Plinius, the burning of Rome and the treasonable cooperation with the Parthian spy and agent Orontes Zig (who was murdered under mysterious circumstances at the port authorities HQ at Ostia). Senator Torienus substantial proof of these treasonable acts in the form of correspondence and even his visit of the assasin of Plinius, Furius Camillus, in Sardinia has caused much consternation and has made the coup possible. However, an equal part of the Romans believe that these pieces of correspondence brought forward against the Emperor, are nothing more than simple forgeries.

While Emperor Sal was placed under house-arrest in the Imperial Palace, guarded by the Praetorians to await his trial, senator Flavian and Marcus Tarquinius were arrested and brought to the Falco Imperial Penal Facility. Senator Antonius, considered to be the evil advisor of the Emperor by many, has fled Rome and has since then be considered an outlaw.
                              In order to appease the people and politicians alike and to prove that the senatorial party had no intention of turning Rome into a Republic, General Scipius –the younger brother of Emperor Sal on campaign in Parthia- was promptly proclaimed the new Emperor of Rome.
                              Meanwhile, news of the coup in Rome had reached General Drusus at Melitine in Cappadocia. Hearing of the chaos reigning there and the accusation of his brother Julius’ part in the fire of Rome in august 80 A.D., he has immediately packed up to head to Rome together with his legions to bring order and justice…leaving General Scipius as the supreme commander of the Roman forces in Parthia, the provinces of Cappodocia, Armenia and Syria.

Making use of the still large support among the Roman populace for the Imperial faction, the unease of a Germanic tribe making incursions in Germania and the draconic measures to be taken by Gaius in case of rebellion against the new regime, senator Antonius managed to stir up revolt in Rome. On the night of the 17th of August, a mob of 3000 citizens headed towards the prison of Rome and managed to free Marcus Tarquinius and senator Flavian without meeting any resistance. After that they headed towards the senate, guarded by 2000 Praetorians. After a short but bloody struggle on the Forum Romanum - at a high cost of 300 citizens and 230 praetorians, including Marcus Tarquinius - the senate was invaded. A full scale massacre of the senators was prevented just on time after which 150 of the senators, including senator Torienus, were brought to the Falco Imperial Penal Facility and kept captive for a few days.

When news reached the capital that General Drusus had arrived at Ostia with his legions and after careful consideration of the proclamation of Emperor Sal to end the civil strife, the senators were released and the radical mobs disbanded…however, although no confirmation has been released, news has circulated around the capital city that senator Torienus and a few of his most loyal supporters were brutally massacred…

The gameturn has ended with the confirmation that Legio VI Felix, recalled by Captain Gaius, has crossed the Rubicon and will be arriving in Rome on the 28th of August at the latest !!!!

Greets,
                              FATE
                              Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

• The VIth by the gods?!

Legate's Magnus isn't it? Yes! Valerius Magnus, that's it!

Heard of Him I have! of that you can be sure! He's a cold one they say, not given to rages like some; stays in control they say.

He's a monster about discipline from what's said of him, but his men fight like demons so he must be doing something right, hey?
                                General Magnus coming here?... to Rome? He'd like that about as much as being gelded from what I've heard of the man. If he's actually coming here... someone's in a LOT of trouble! and I'm glad to my bones that I'm not him!

-Veteran of the Legions, whilst drinking at The Slaughtered Lamb.
                                BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X