Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I know who taught the French how to cook.
    "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

• Originally posted by delboy View Post

Now I know who taught the French how to cook.
      Frenchmen do NOT cook. They simply warm up the contents of the nearest medical waste dumpster, and garnish it with gutter trash...
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• and lots of butter.
        Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
        I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• More Roman Food Dedicated to Bardas Phocas

Snails were considered a delicacy by the Romans and they would be kept in jars and fed on wheat and milk until they were too fat to get back in their shells. At this point they were fried in oil and served with liquamen mixed with wine. The Romans also used to keep dormice in jars within the villa and they too would be fattened up before being cooked and stuffed with mince. The dormice that the Romans ate were not the small breed that are found nestling in cornfields today. The Roman dormouse was a much larger breed called the fat or edible dormouse (Latin name glis glis). This breed of dormouse can still be found in Britain, in one very small area of the Home Counties, not because they have survived since Roman times but because a wealthy collector imported some in the late 19th/early 20th century and they escaped. They like to live in the attics of houses, and sometimes chew through electric cables with predictable results. They are expanding their range extremely slowly, and will probably never get much beyond their existing area, unless someone releases more in another part of the country.
          http://www.smr.herefordshire.gov.uk/roman/food.htm

More Roman Delicacies:

Brains of Peacocks.
          Flamingo tongues and feet.
          Pike Livers
          Last edited by Salinator; 03 Jan 09, 23:31.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• They tried to eat Gus-Gus?!?

This is one doormouse that's not going down without a fight!
            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
            _________
            BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
              They tried to eat Gus-Gus?!?

This is one doormouse that's not going down without a fight!
              Stuffed Rat

8oz (225g) pine kernels
              4oz (100g) shelled almonds
              4oz (100g) chopped mixed nuts
              1oz (25g) peppercorns
              1 rat
              2 eggs, beaten
              A pinch of salt, pepper and savory
              1 small onion, chopped
              4oz (100g) stoned dates
              1tsp anchovy essence
              2tblsp spiced wine

Mix together the pine kernels, almonds, chopped mixed nuts, peppercorns and the chopped giblets of the rat. Bind with the eggs and use the mixture to stuff the rat. Wrap the hare in baking foil and roast in the oven at gas mark 5, 375 F, 190 C for 1-1 1/2 hours until tender. To make the sauce, put the salt, pepper, savory, chopped onion, dates, anchovy essence, wine and the juices from the roast hare in a saucepan. Let this boil gently until thickened, then pour over the rat.
              Last edited by Salinator; 05 Jan 09, 17:38.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by salinator View Post
                Where are the Heralds?

I, Aulus Umbricius Scaurus, Garum wholesaler of Pompeii question the whereabouts of the Herald Torienus, last seen in the presence of Herald's Guild spokesman, Gaius (Jimmus) Hoffasius.
                from a note found pinned to the community board in The Lamb:

We, the Herald's Guild Local 1, would like it to be known that no more Praecii will be forthcoming until the Senate next has a Quorum. Too much chance of passing on incorrect information.

We are, however, accepting donations for our Annual Bake Sale. I recommend that you get your Dinarii into your local representatives sooner rather than later.

Gaius Hoffasius, Local 1 Steward
                History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                _________
                BoRG

Comment

• I just found this on Youtube. I thought it would help get us back in the mood of SPQR after the holidays.

HBO's Rome Season One Part One:

By the way, this is the only film I have seen that shows the actual tactics used by Roman Legionaries. Fighting in rigid formation that rotates the front line to avoid exhaustion, thrusting with the Gladius instead of slashing, etc.

Good stuff!

It looks like the rest of Rome has been posted also. I've never seen it so I know what I'll be watching for a while!

Chuck aka General Drusus
                  "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
                    from a note found pinned to the community board in The Lamb:

We, the Herald's Guild Local 1, would like it to be known that no more Praecii will be forthcoming until the Senate next has a Quorum. Too much chance of passing on incorrect information.

We are, however, accepting donations for our Annual Bake Sale. I recommend that you get your Dinarii into your local representatives sooner rather than later.

Gaius Hoffasius, Local 1 Steward
                    I, Aulus Umbricius Scaurus, Garum wholesaler of Pompeii still question the whereabouts of the Herald Torienus, last seen in the presence of Herald's Guild spokesman, Gaius (Jimmus) Hoffasius.

PS, the annual bake sale is a bust. You are better of donating to the war effort via Imperial Palace. Mark donations: "Whoop Parthia's Butt - c/o Sal".

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

• Devoted Spouse has returned to Arizona -- Free at Last - Free at Last -- thank God Almighty -Free at Last !!!
                      I like Dogs far better than most People

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaiser Franz View Post
                        Devoted Spouse has returned to Arizona -- Free at Last - Free at Last -- thank God Almighty -Free at Last !!!
                        I, Bardas Phocas, favourite of Armenia, and ally of Rome, really hopes she doesn't read your posts .
                        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                          I, Bardas Phocas, favourite of Armenia, and ally of Rome, really hopes she doesn't read your posts .
                          Good Point <sigh>

As our Supply Sargent once said "If'n you only got one - order one - If'n you got Two - turn one in !! (???)

BoRG

Comment

• Kaiser welcome back we all were wondering what evil had befallen you.
                            Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                            I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• Well -- Devoted Spouse is not Evil -- but she is very "high maintenance" and took all my time for the last few weeks -- visiting relatives and doing the Christmas thing with all the grandkids -- but she took off for Arizona this morning so I'm able to get to my computer again ( she spends all her time on e-bay when we're just sitting around at home) -- now I have my keyboard back

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                                I just found this on Youtube. I thought it would help get us back in the mood of SPQR after the holidays.

HBO's Rome Season One Part One:

By the way, this is the only film I have seen that shows the actual tactics used by Roman Legionaries. Fighting in rigid formation that rotates the front line to avoid exhaustion, thrusting with the Gladius instead of slashing, etc.

Good stuff!

It looks like the rest of Rome has been posted also. I've never seen it so I know what I'll be watching for a while!

Chuck aka General Drusus
                                I, Bardas Phocas, favourite of Armenia, and ally of Rome, have seen season 1 and have bought both seasons. Apparantly they aren't doing any more .
                                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X