SPQR Gameturn 5 !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *The sound of hooves can be heard outside*

*A single man dismounts. He is dressed in the manner of a Macedonian Cavalry Officer. His face is stern. He says not a word. His eyes are fixed upon the door to the Senate. He turns and retrieved a hammer and parchment from his saddle bags, and with determination marches up to the door.*

Anyone in the know would recognize Marcus Quintus Glabrio, Herald to the late Senator Titus as he nails the following letter to the door....

Senators of Rome, People of Rome,

As it is well know by now, Titus Macedonius has been murdered! It is widely believed that this murder has been perpetrated by members of the Senate. We, a collection of Merchants, Sailors, and Soldiers demand that there be justice! We demand that the murderers be drawn out a likewise dispatched. Until that time, we pledge to close down all shops belonging the Greek merchants and to close our ports to Roman shipping. We have also received pledges from officers in your Greek and Macedonian auxiliaries that they are upset over this corruption in the Senate, and they wait upon a word from us to see what they are to do. May I remind you, that there are currently a large number of Greek soldiers in service in the East at this time. Remember that. Also remember that without our ports or products, you will not be able to support your war effort in the East.

How dare you kill a Senator who is loved in the East and then ask us to sacrifice our lives and goods for your own glory?!

Your next step is important. Make a wise choice!

~ Friends of Titus Macedonius~

Comment

• The Romans have their doubts

There's grumbling in the senate and among the Roman populace...
      The division and intrigues in the senate saddens, but also irritates them.

There is no Roman union and this may have an unfortunate effect upon the war in the east.
      Some believe that Parthian spies are intriguing succesfully in the Roman capital to cause division and want a full investigation into suspicious foreigners. Others believe that in fact the war against Parthia is going badly and that these military failures have as result that the one party in the senate is blaming the other for it...in order to find a scapegoat for the military failures.
      Some Republicans freely speak their mind in asserting that this is just a manner for the Emperor to grab all the power in Rome and become a dictator together with a few of his favorites!

Anyhow, to the majority of the Romans, the future looks grim! The mob is starting to become unruly...

Greets,
      FATE
      Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

• TIME TO GET EVERYBODY INVOLVED !!!!

Greets,
        FATE
        Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

BORG

Comment

• The old seer looks up from the entrails of the freshly killed lamb....

"I see blood in the streets of Rome." He says.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
            The Julian Party applauds the Emperor proposal. We have been suspicious of Senator Plinius's loyalty to the Emperor for some time. We also suspect him of complicity in the death of our former patron,Senator Julius,who was an ardent champion of the Emperor.

We urge Senator Verus to accept this appointment. We also recommend that he use his own investigaters and not use the SBI which is an Plinius controlled tool.

Marcus Tarquinus

Leader of the Julian Party
            Very well. I shall investigate Plinius' loyalty to the throne. Come to think of it, he has not been at these meetings for a while.
            "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

• "Senators,
              it is with the greatest possible concern that I address you tonight.
              As we all know, we are involved in a war in the East about which we are kept deliberately in the dark. Are we losing, are we winning? We don't know!

How many of you know for instance that general Paulus has been arrested on unspecified charges of treason? General Paulus, a man generally known to be beyond reproach: a paragon of Roman duty and virtue, who just liberated the Armenian capital of Tigranakert!
              And that while we are in the middle of a war!!
              I demand that either we learn immediately what general Paulus is accused of to warrant his arrest or that he is released immediately with the profoundest excuses!"

"The situation is not less serious in Rome. That the Parthian war is splitting our capital is not so much caused by the covert activities of our enemies here in Rome (there are none) but by machinations of our own side to usurp power. How many of you do know who Orontes Zig really is? I request of the emperor to come clear and inform the Senate who really the employer is of the man who called himself 'Orontes Zig', the man who approached so many of us with bribes!"

"Senators,
              the people of Rome are no idiots and they have the right to know the truth and be governed in the best possible way! They will stand this usurpation no longer!
              Release general Paulus!
              Tell the truth about Orontes Zig!"

Plinius
              Roman Senator
              Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 09 Nov 08, 10:54.
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Praeco de Romae v.XI

Romans,

War in Armenia:
                The few reports we have received from the front say that the war is going well. Tigranakert has been liberated by General Paulus' Legions with the aid of Armenian Partisan Militia. The Parthians are said to be in disarray and fleeing. But reports are scarce and some even conflicting as to the location of various Roman forces in Armenia.

Speaking of rumors:
                Word has reached Rome that General Drusus has kidnapped General Paulus! Ostensibly, this is an arrest under orders from The Emperor but this can hardly be true as our Legions are still engaged in a war and Legate Paulus is Rome's best and most loyal leader! Romans we cannot accept this! Unfettered power by rogue Generals and a paranoid Emperor cannot be tolerated.

Tend to your property!
                The Emperor has shown no restraint when it comes to exercising his power. What comes next? Will Sal declare Martial Law in The City and take from us our Civil Rights? Will he steal our riches and our property? Where is the accountability? Where is the leadership? Where is the respect for our sovereignty?

Romans Arise!
                Unrest has again spread throughout the city. Mobs of enraged Citizens are on the march! Fires are once again spreading through the forums. Can this be stopped again? Should it be stopped? Cries to release General Paulus are heard from every crowd. Veterans of the Legions are seen to be leading the Citizens in calls for disclosure of all information pertaining to the war and all actions of the Emperor.

These calls are not as civil as I have reported them here. Woe, to any who stand in these brave Roman's way!

Senator Plinius, Calm as always:
                Concerned for the welfare and well being of all Romans, the most senior of our Senators has called for full disclosure from the Emperor! Plinius, fearing for his life once more, has enlisted the protection of an entire Vigiles of Veterans to protect his estate! These brave hundred will police his estate to ward off the mob and assassins, as well as firefighting duties, should the need arise again.

Editorial:
                I, Torienus, would also like to state that I have reservations about Orontes Zig. More and more information points to the idea that he was not an operative of Parthia, but rather, an agent provocateur of the Emperor himself. To what end was Sal using this man for? And why does any Roman have need to fear Legatus Paulus, leading our Legions at some distant front, when Senator's are being killed here in Rome?!?

I sense a need for change. Rome is suffering from a lack of leadership. Stability must be returned. If merchants hope to do business again and make our Forums the envy of the Civilized world, change must come soon! Change that we can believe in!

Arise Rome, and seize the rights we deserve!

Torienus
                History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                _________
                BoRG

Comment

• Interesting how the official Herald fails to mention the MURDER of Senator Titus. Perhaps it is not news to him and his friends, who are still trying to wipe his blood off their hands.

Marcus Quintus Glabrio

Comment

• How dare you?!?!

Originally posted by Commodore_1812 View Post
                    Interesting how the official Herald fails to mention the MURDER of Senator Titus. Perhaps it is not news to him and his friends, who are still trying to wipe his blood off their hands.

Marcus Quintus Glabrio
                    How dare you question my loyalties!

Senator Titus was my friend! We both competed in an honourable campaign and I duly recognized his position as my superior and a rightful winner of our Senatorial election!

I also clearly stated that Senators are being murdered in Rome. By now, it is no longer news that Titus has been assassinated as you, Marcus, have broadcast your opinions on the subject quite extensively!

My omission of the obituary is sadly, an oversight. My apologies to your family. Sorry for your loss.

Torienus
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

• If you have any proof that supports this claim, then show it. If you don't, then stop with the accusations!

Senator Antonius, as much as I would love to support that...questionable project, the Emperor Supreme is right.

Ace_General, you have the right to voice your opinion as a citizen, not as a man willing to threaten a senator and "kill" his wife...or something like that. Paul, don't respond to him. He's just trying to rile you.

Overall, enough accusations, unless you have proof.

-Alexander AKA Senator Honorious

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
                        Romans,

War in Armenia:

Speaking of rumors:

Tend to your property!

Romans Arise!

Senator Plinius, Calm as always:
                        In short...what a mess !!!!

wahahahahahahahahaha

Greets,
                        FATE

BORG

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratego View Post
                          In short...what a mess !!!!

wahahahahahahahahaha

Greets,
                          FATE
                          Yup, I think that Sal has explaining to do.
                          "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

• Urgent dispatch from the eastern extremes

Be it known & received...

My Emperor, Senators, Romans...

A great travesty has occurred in conduct of strategic planning & Roman conduct of war in the east! As preordained by the most honorable, loyal, & honest General Paulus - true Roman, heart & soul - & standing in command of such forces so enumerated & entrusted me by him in case of treachery, it is my duty to inform & confirm to all the unjust & severely misguided arrest of his person & attendant officers while engaging in concerted planning of future operations with, General Drusus, in the city of Edessa.

For all that know of the wisdom, honor, & steadfast Roman heart of General Paulus, I submit to you that this injustice, & mistaken conduct of it, will be met not with mere force of will in Roman on Roman conflict, it will be left to the judgment of you all... this - unless immediate release of General Paulus is secured with full Roman honor & respects & his exercise of it without reproach & full authority restored - or all force, now under my immediate & extended command & disposal, converge - driving all distressed & demoralized Parthian elements as is possible now lying before & between the soon to be blooded javelin of Hurcules, the well honed dagger of Sythia, as well, appealing to, with intent of, their holding the veteran loyal gladius of Vespasianus as ample threat & harbinger of doom to such Parthian/enemy forces as might make hast to relieve or seek opening should General Drusus sit upon his flanks through the tempest fury that will be unleashed around & through him.

I now inform you of its content, & dispatch to Governor Cassius my immediate intent to act & stress that I shall not wait - time is of all significance to the better interests of Rome on the Parthian/Armenian front - we honorably request & seek your full endorsement & the blessings of your Gods in battle... all eyes of Rome are upon your choosing - in that my fate lies in the balance, more still does that of General Paulus & all Roman honor!

Romans will stand & fight - together - on the fields of battle, or it will fall to the misguided acts of treacherous infidelity to the laws & honor of all Rome - not of the blades of our enemies!

Hear me my Emperor... I beseech you, my brother, to conduct & invest your authority in the better interests of Rome & all Romans!

Hear me all honorable Senators of Rome... I implore you to put asunder all pretense & petty endeavours that serve yourselves more than Rome!

Hear me, all people of Rome... while the wolf plies the streets, it is not time to allow him the scent of your fear... know in your Roman hearts that nothing is yet lost, but can easily be thrust to the wolf in careless self doubt & misplaced intercourse's!

The officers of all Legions entrusted by our Emperor, to him, are true to General Paulus & I stand in good sted with them... though I am not always the most beloved of all troopers that serve these Legions, they have the heart of Romans & will fight for Rome & her peoples BECAUSE of it, regardless of their love - or lack of it - for me... I have only to thrust them valiantly into the flesh of those that oppose Rome for their hearts to make them as 10 to 1.

I say & dispatch to General Drusus... Release General Paulus! You are either misinformed, misguided, or usurping the better interests of Rome... for your failure to do so calls into question whether you serve merely a man... or all Rome & her peoples.

Your failure to do so will relegate you to a sideshow amidst the fury, & the people of good Roman conscience & soul will recognize it, regardless any charge you might extend.

Rome is not one... Rome is all!

Scipius
                            Commander of Cavalry: Legio VII, Legio XX
                            Provisional XO in General Paulus absence:
                            Legio IV, Legio, XX, Legio XV
                            Last edited by Admiral; 09 Nov 08, 17:18. Reason: "petty endeavours that serve yourselves MORE than Rome" - not "less" - DOh!
                            On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

• A Grave Warning Fellow Romans

Senators,I have arrived in rome and have organized a 1000 man citizen veternaii militia to guard the Forum Romanum (I.E. the forum with the Curia). But if this horrific handling of the war countiues you senators may be overthrown nd me and my men my join in for the good of the roman state. All you senators should start fearing for your necks.

Also, if the emperor is killed anytime soon, the people will not accept the legitimacy of any new emperor from senatorial ranks. Then someone like me might be named Regent of rome as the house of Falco is one of the only Roman families that have not been soiled by bribery and lies.

Say what you say about us Falco's, but we always try to serve rome to the best of our abilities and aren't even fully roman. If a clan of half barbarian soldiers has better standing among the people than a great roman family, we have a serious issue.

I say that the senators have pissed away their honor and right to rule so I say that the emperor takes total command of rome as he, from the peoples view, is the only person that isn't taking bribes and involed in other shady **** with the enamy.

I strongly implore the emperor to use the praetorian guards to keep the peace and to declare marital law.

Also from the Bohphous to the river nile in the empire their is rampant Paranoia and speculation on weather the parthian army will pop up over the hills. I say we raise a citizen militia to partol the streets and clam the peoples nerves.

Now whos in command in the east with Druasas apparently a parthian agent??!

I say I go to the east and figure out whats going on and I volunteer to lead a small special ops mission to free General Paulus and detain Druasas "Falco's hero's mark II" style. Also I would like to go to the east durning this misson and try to see what has become of my son, cause it will be a great insult if the parthians recover his body

I ask you for the fate of the empire, Imperator to take these steps. The citizens are near open revolt, the enemy is at the gates, and all of rome awaits your.

Tiberius Falco

Comment

• And then you are going to fly away on your magic carpet.
                                "All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in which he was born." - Francois Fenelon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X