X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I tried to give objective and thought out reasons for my choices. I'll leave it at that.
    I believe that was true for the greater majority of participating members. That some of us are now questioning a few of our own choices and even changing our minds about one or two of them, does not in any way detract from our genuine intent. However, we might be accused of being overly intense about our subject matter - a common thing among ACG'ers I suspect.

I think this goes to the matter of personal growth. In life as well as in study, we all grow. As a young man, I used to have the idea that the process pretty much stopped when we reached a certain age. In my more mature years, I am discovering that's not really the case. I continue to grow and learn on a daily basis, in all areas of life as well as my personal interests and studies. I don't think it ever stops.

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    While I do not always agree with your opinions (although I often consider you correct in many/most cases), you do at least post your reasonings, and I for one can respect that .
    Ditto for me, and agreed.

At ACG, I consider it both a pleasure and a privilege to have met and exchanged views with so many thoughtful and learned people. Naturally, one does not always agree or see eye-to-eye with every post but in the majority of cases there is mutual respect because we can see that the other guy has researched the topic too - sometimes very thoroughly - and has well reasoned opinions.
    Last edited by panther3485; 17 Nov 14, 03:03.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I tried to give objective and thought out reasons for my choices. I'll leave it at that.
    While I do not always agree with your opinions (although I often consider you correct in many/most cases), you do at least post your reasonings, and I for one can respect that .

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JBark
    replied
    Instead of hijacking this thread, start your own .
    I have not hijacked this thread. The only person that gave my post a response was you. My post simply commented on what you posted...hey, just like we always do here on the forum. My post is similar to other posts on this thread, including your own. I don't know what you are objecting to here, what say we just let the thread progress.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by JBark View Post
    I think it is valid no matter where I write it. I don't see a need to restrict myself as you suggested.
    Instead of hijacking this thread, start your own .

Leave a comment:

• JBark
    replied
    Your post would be more than valid in another thread under a different title.

I did write in the OP:

Please note that this is a thread to reflect on your own voting, not one to discuss what you think of other peoples votes or what you believe others think of your patterns.
    I think it is valid no matter where I write it. I don't see a need to restrict myself as you suggested.
    Last edited by JBark; 12 Nov 14, 23:38.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Blair Maynard View Post
    I regret abstaining from the T-34 vs. Renault FT thread. I have been reading recently about the T-34 and it was just the best tank in the field by quite a margin in 1940/41 -- a critical time in the USSR. In fact, I suspect it and the KV-1 actually saved the USSR. I should have voted for the T-34 over the FT in that thread, but I dont feel too bad because I didnt make a mistake and vote for the FT....
    If you genuinely believe you voted correctly, then you probably did. Everybody has a different criteria on what is 'right' and 'best' and as long as you voted with consistency and integrity, then damn what anyone else posts or thinks .

Leave a comment:

• Blair Maynard
    replied
    I regret abstaining from the T-34 vs. Renault FT thread. I have been reading recently about the T-34 and it was just the best tank in the field by quite a margin in 1940/41 -- a critical time in the USSR. In fact, I suspect it and the KV-1 actually saved the USSR. I should have voted for the T-34 over the FT in that thread, but I dont feel too bad because I didnt make a mistake and vote for the FT....

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by JBark View Post
    I think I look at this differently than you are now doing in reflection. I know I voted correctly and had anyone asked me if you had I would have said the same. I can't see you not voting correctly.

You make reliable sound so blah. It is pretty damn important compared to Panthers burning up on the way to battle or breaking down during battle. In addition M4 had a lot more going for it. Versatility for one; four different guns were mounted in its turrets, numerous engines, changes in suspensions, hulls and without any major hiccups in machines on the field...which is what counts. If machines aren't on the battlefield in numbers the tank will have no influence or significance and it must be able to return to the battlefield rather quickly lest its user will suffer.

Perhaps but it did influence history dramatically.

I'd say its significance is that it was one of the machines that won WWII. Comparing it in an anti armor role or with post war 20/20 hindsight is simply not fair nor accurate.

I think it good that you examine your participation though second guessing your self can have its drawbacks.

Your post would be more than valid in another thread under a different title.

I did write in the OP:

Please note that this is a thread to reflect on your own voting, not one to discuss what you think of other peoples votes or what you believe others think of your patterns.

Leave a comment:

• Marmat
    replied
    Give Nick ...

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
    ... my donut, I had 30 years worth

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Checkertail20
    replied
    We were supposed to vote which tank was most significant/influential? I voted for which was the best and when I couldn't decide I just flipped a coin.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    ... and yet, the M1 Abrams did very well in the polls, getting as far as or further than any other modern MBT. It was equalled by Leopard 1 and Leopard 2 in getting to Round 4.
    I believe the Abrams deserved to get that far; with Leopard 2 possibly close behind; but I don't think Leopard 1 deserved to be in Round 4 at all, for whatever that might be worth. (IMO, T-64 should have been there instead of Leo1. It was vastly more influential.)
    Last edited by panther3485; 08 Nov 14, 02:46.

Leave a comment:

• Capt AFB
    replied
    A thread for second guessing!!!!

Learn, live and carry-on!

Although I am still a bit miffed about the M1 Abrams not doing better as an influential tank...But I blame that on my bias for being around Leo Is, Leo IIs, Challengers and M1 Abrams during my military career (including being on the wrong end of M1s during an exercise) vs all these great knowledgeable armchair generals coming out with all these great theories and wiki references...What weight did my arguments really have?

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    I seem to remember changing my mind about at least one or two of my votes, some time after voting. I'll have to look back over the whole thing to accurately recall which ones they were.

I also seem to remember a few decisions that were so close and difficult for me (in terms of greatest significance/influence) that in the end, I voted on which tank I liked the most. I found some of the choices far from easy but I think that's not a bad thing. IMO, a poll set is good if you not only enjoy it but also if you find it challenging at least some of the time.

Above all though, the example that stands out in my own mind was the T-64. I think I was right on the money to stick to my position on that design; and to try to persuade others to vote for it. IMO it is one of, if not the most influential design of the modern era of the tank. I think it was Zaloga who rated it as being the post-WW2 equivalent of the T-34; in terms of influence. I agree with him.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X