Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 5 - Renault FT-17 (France) vs T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 5 - Renault FT-17 (France) vs T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)

SEMI-FINAL!!!

Round 5: Renault FT-17 (France) vs T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)

The French FT-17 pioneered the internal layout that would become the norm for later generations of tanks right up until today. Perhaps this, more than anything else, makes it highly influential. It was also built in considerable numbers and rendered effective service during the last year of WW1, as well as a modest amount of service in WW2. During the inter-war period a number of other countries either purchased the FT, or built or produced tanks based on its general design. It was probably the most ubiquitous tank design through the 1920s and early 30's.

I think most of us would agree that there are few if any WW2 tanks that were as influential as the T-34. Certainly, it had a profound impact on the Germans when they encountered it on the battlefield; and by way of response the influence of the T-34 on German tank design - most notably in the Panther - is well known. Most of us, I think, would also acknowledge that the T-34 was - flaws notwithstanding - an effective solution for the Soviets. Furthermore, it was manufactured and fielded in such large numbers that its overall significance cannot be ignored.

These two tanks are from quite different eras but each, in its own time, represents something quite special and - unquestionably in both cases - very significant as well as influential. The question for you guys: Which of these two candidates gets to the Final? FT-17 or T-34? It's up to you!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Candidate #10 - Renault FT-17 (France)

Active Service Entry – 1917/18
    Weight – 6.6 metric tons
    Top Speed – 8 Km/h (5 mph)
    Main Armament – 37mm gun or 8mm MG
    No. Produced – 3,800 (approx.)

For further basic info, you can start with Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_FT

Candidate #28 - T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Service Entry – 1940
    Weight – 26.5 - 32 metric tons (depending on variant)
    Top Speed – 53 km/h (33 mph)
    Main Armament – 76.2mm or 85mm gun
    No. Produced – 80,000 (approx.; including post-war but sources vary)

For further info, see Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#Mass_production

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Renault FT-17 (France)
    62.63%
    T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)
    37.37%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 20 Sep 14, 08:07.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Going with the Renault.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

This is another incredibly easy choice. The FT-17 is the first tank as we know it, and the herald of tank design since.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Decided to vote early in this Round.

Against almost anything else in this tournament, I'd rate the T-34 as being the more significant/influential but against the FT-17? No way.

FT-17 it is.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
          Decided to vote early in this Round.

Against almost anything else in this tournament, I'd rate the T-34 as being the more significant/influential but against the FT-17? No way.

FT-17 it is.
          I totally agree.
          The T-34 deserved to get this far, but not further.
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Frenchie
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

My vote goes to the FT-17.
              “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
              ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Renault.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

FT all the way.
                  "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                    This is another incredibly easy choice. The FT-17 is the first tank as we know it, and the herald of tank design since.
                    What he said!

Comment

The FT-17, if only because it was the earlier design (where, after all, would the T-34 have been without a rotating turret ?)
                      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                        The FT-17, if only because it was the earlier design (where, after all, would the T-34 have been without a rotating turret ?)
                        Or the Sherman. I can admire the Sherman on many levels, but as far as this poll is concerned, it should not have lasted the previous round.

Considering the global impact of the T-55, perhaps it should have faced the M4 the previous round.

Comment

Much as I like the T-34, I had to go with the Renault. Everything after that is an improvement.

And if early polling is indicative, the final is appropriate.

Comment

It looks like the final is going to be between the first tank and the tank that influenced all that came after it.

Comment

Hmm, I don't know how to look at these semi-finals. It seems many just want a final of the MkI- and the Renault. I see the incredible importance of these in armor history but at the same time the comparison history but the question is how does this compare to influence in WWII. If we minimize the importance of this conflict we are truly failing as students of history.
                              I wish there weren't so many going with the knee jerk reaction to this stage of the pole.
                              John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X