Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 5 - Tanks Mk I-V (Britain) vs M4 Sherman (USA)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marathag View Post
    Just a few years later, the two seat flyer with a Lewis gun

Yes...that would not be the Wright Flyer.
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
      Yes...that would not be the Wright Flyer.
      It was A Wright Flyer.

The brothers did build a few flying machines, and had been trying to get the Army to buy since 1905. Sales to National Governments was always a goal for them, and also corresponded with the miltaries of UK, France and Germany that same year

Wrights did the first armed aircraft. As built the Brothers always referred to them as fliers, though after 1909, they gave them different names,
      like this reproduction

called by them the 1909 Military Flyer, the first one the Signal Corps bought

Comment

Originally posted by Marathag View Post
        It was A Wright Flyer.

The brothers did build a few flying machines, and had been trying to get the Army to buy since 1905. Sales to National Governments was always a goal for them, and also corresponded with the miltaries of UK, France and Germany that same year

Wrights did the first armed aircraft. As built the Brothers always referred to them as fliers, though after 1909, they gave them different names,
        like this reproduction

Originally Posted by frisco17 View Post
        "As great as the Sherman was it seems to me that choosing it would be like voting for the P-51 over the Wright Flyer ..."

As you can see here, frisco17 said "the Wright Flyer." This means exactly that, not the Flyer II, the Flyer III, the Wright Model A or the Wright Model B. From what I read of their work this name is given to only one plane which sits in the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. Have you seen it?

wright flyer 2.jpg

No guns but I believe it has a rack for a cruise missle.
        Last edited by JBark; 27 Sep 14, 18:37.
        John

Comment

Getting back to topic, how could you vote against a versatile, durable weapon like this that would strike terror in the enemy and win any big wheel monster "truck" competition?

sherman big wheels.jpg

John

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
            Getting back to topic, how could you vote against a versatile, durable weapon like this that would strike terror in the enemy and win any big wheel monster "truck" competition?
            Aunt Jemima Mine Exploder was cooler

Comment

I have to share this one. A century of development!

Last edited by panther3485; 03 Oct 14, 19:07. Reason: Need to insert spoiler
              It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
              Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Dont forget this version of the Mk tanks. I believe it is the earliest use of Chobham armour.
                Attached Files
                O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy. And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, sloths, carp, anchovies, orangutans, breakfast cereals, fruit bats

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
                  I have to share this one. A century of development!
                  That's a neat picture, and a pretty convincing WW1 tank. I have yet to see Warhorse, though I have heard good things about it.
                  Last edited by DogDodger; 04 Oct 14, 09:16. Reason: Typo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X