Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 5 - Tanks Mk I-V (Britain) vs M4 Sherman (USA)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 5 - Tanks Mk I-V (Britain) vs M4 Sherman (USA)

SEMI-FINAL!!!

Round 5: Tanks Mk I-V (Britain) vs M4 Sherman (USA)

The British Mk I-V was the first physical fighting embodiment of the word, "tank"; the first basic tank design ever to go into battle; and the first tank successfully used for a large-scale armoured penetration of an enemy defensive line. These are certainly noteworthy firsts but no doubt, members will consider for themselves the true significance or value of them. In addition, more of this basic type saw combat in WW1 than any other tank except the Renault FT-17. That said, the fundamental design was rendered instantly obsolete as soon as the latter appeared.

The Sherman first entered combat in British hands near the end of 1942, and was well regarded by them. The virtues of the M4 - which included its wide availability - allowed it to serve very effectively in a variety of environments and on a global scale. There are few Allied tanks in WW2 that can claim to have served in as many theatres and locations; and none in anything like the numbers. The combination of its sound fundamental attributes together with reliability and adaptability and the numbers available, made the Sherman a highly valuable tool in the Allied effort.

Each of these tanks can be seen as highly significant and/or influential for its time. Question is, considered against the entire history of the tank, which of them represents the greater significance and/or influence? Only one of them will make it to the Final and you can help decide.

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Candidate #1 - Tanks Mk I-V (Britain)

Active Service Entry – 1916 (Mk I)
    Weight – From 27 tons (Mk I ‘Female’) up to 29 tons (Mk. V ‘Male’)
    Top Speed – From 6 km/h (3.7 mph) (Mk I) up to 8 km/h (5 mph) (Mk. V)
    Main Armament – 2 x 6pdr guns (Male) or 4 x .303 MGs (Female)
    No. Produced – 1,870, Mks I-V combined

For further basic info, you can start with Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...of_World_War_I

Tank Mk.I (Male)

Tanks Mk.IV 'Female' (left) and 'Male' (right)

Candidate #32 - M4 Sherman (USA)

Active Service Entry – late 1942
    Weight – 30 - 32 tons
    Top Speed – 40 - 48 km/h (25 - 30 mph)
    Main Armament – 75mm gun
    No. Produced – 49,234

For further info, see Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Tanks Mk I-V (Britain)
    63.27%
    M4 Sherman (USA)
    36.73%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 03 Oct 14, 10:15.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Tough choice. Sherman gets the vote by a hair. Only because the Marks were an evolutionary dead-end.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Incredibly easy choice.

We have a tank that brought in a new era of warfare, and proved armoured warfare was actually possible, verses a good WW2 tank.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/...0_prog6e.shtml

MarkI-V all the way .
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I can't believe the Sherman won out over the Centurion.
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
          I can't believe the Sherman won out over the Centurion.
          Block vote by a minority skewed the results.

As the only non USAer to vote Sherman can I ask why you voted against the tank that proved armoured warfare was possible?
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I have ridden, several years ago, in an M4. It was south Georgia, mid-July, I will never get in a tank again. I hated it, just going half a block. Its a sweatshop. I have the ultimate respect for those who work in them.
            So for me, its an M4. I am fascinated by the early tanks as well.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

As it brought about a paradigm shift, I voted the Mk I-V.
              "We have no white flag."

Comment

IMO, it might be possible to argue that the Sherman was more influential; at least for its time if not overall. I think there might be considerable difficulty countering such an argument.

However, significance is a whole other ballgame and IMO, when set against the entire history of the tank it weighs quite heavily in favour of the British Mk I-V; with timeline primacy being quite a strong component here (again, IMO).

Mk I-V for me.
                "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

MK1
                  you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

I vote Mk I-V.
                    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                    ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Well I went with the Mark I-V.

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

As great as the Sherman was it seems to me that choosing it would be like voting for the P-51 over the Wright Flyer or the MG 42 over the Maxim Gun. Marks win for me.
                        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                          Incredibly easy choice.

We have a tank that brought in a new era of warfare, and proved armoured warfare was actually possible, verses a good WW2 tank.

What he said... Again!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                            What he said... Again!
                            Obviously, you have a mind of perceptive, educated and well reasoned intellectual .

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                              Block vote by a minority skewed the results.

As the only non USAer to vote Sherman can I ask why you voted against the tank that proved armoured warfare was possible?
                              Not quite, I, for one, voted Sherman over Centurion:- weeping the while!
                              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X