Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 4 - Renault FT-17 (France) vs Leopard 2 (Germany)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 4 - Renault FT-17 (France) vs Leopard 2 (Germany)

Round 4: Renault FT-17 (France) vs Leopard 2 (Germany)

The French FT-17 pioneered the internal layout that would become the norm for later generations of tanks right up until today. Perhaps this, more than anything else, makes it highly influential. It was also built in considerable numbers and rendered effective service during the last year of WW1, as well as a modest amount of service in WW2. During the inter-war period a number of other countries either purchased the FT, or built or produced tanks based on its general design.

Germany’s Leopard 2 is widely regarded as one of the World’s finest modern MBTs and it has seen some limited action in Kosovo and Afghanistan. It is conventionally laid out and has been continually improved since its introduction to service in 1979/80. Aside from Germany, this tank is in service with at least 15 different countries. Leopard 2 continues to combine the key attributes of firepower, mobility and protection to a well-balanced and very high degree.

Here we have two candidates from opposite ends of the tank development continuum, which should make this match interesting if not necessarily difficult. Question is, which of these tanks - each representing the "state of the art" for its respective time - should be considered tops for significance and influence? Only one can progress to the Semi-Final!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Candidate #10 - Renault FT-17 (France)

Active Service Entry – 1917/18
    Weight – 6.6 metric tons
    Top Speed – 8 Km/h (5 mph)
    Main Armament – 37mm gun or 8mm MG
    No. Produced – 3,800 (approx.)

For further basic info, you can start with Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_FT

Candidate #53 - Leopard 2 (Germany)

Service Entry – 1979/80
    Weight – 55 – 62.3 metric tons
    Top Speed – 72 km/h (45 mph)
    Main Armament – 120mm smoothbore
    No. Produced – 3,200+

For further info, check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2
    http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/leo2.htm

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Renault FT-17 (France)
    76.67%
    Leopard 2 (Germany)
    23.33%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 06 Sep 14, 09:49.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

FT-17. The Leopard isn't really "innovative".
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

FT-17 was one of the most influential tanks ever created.
      BoRG
      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

FT-17 without hesitation.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

FT17 all the way. And, you could get it with a wheelie bar.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Another hard choice! Renault!

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The first real tank, because it set the paradigm. The Leopard II is just an improvement on the Renault's basic design.

Comment

The FT 17 is the first "modern" tank in history. It represents the standard for everything that followed. How can you beat that?

Comment

FT-17 easily. Even a bit easier than T-34 vs. M1.
                  One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

The only time a french tank is better than a german tank is is this poll.
                    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

FT-17 without much thought. The FT-17 just is. It just is "tank."
                      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

The French take this one over the Germans....

Comment

The FT-17 is probably more influential here.

But voted Leopard II. It is an emotional vote...I'm not going to vote against the tank that contributed to keep my life safe during my time deployed in Afghanistan.

Comment

FT-17, a remarkable design:-the first tank to have a fully traversing turret.
                            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                              " ... But voted Leopard II. It is an emotional vote...I'm not going to vote against the tank that contributed to keep my life safe during my time deployed in Afghanistan."
                              ... which is pretty darn significant for you, so fair enough.
                              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X