Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 3 Grp B - T-72 (Russia) vs M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 3 Grp B - T-72 (Russia) vs M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

Round 3, Group B: T-72 (Russia) vs M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

The T-72 was intended as a lower-cost but still effective alternative to the T-64. It was also a more powerful and up-to-date solution for export clients, including many of those who had already purchased earlier types such as T-54/55 and T-62. By the 1990's, T-72 and its variants was becoming the most widely used MBT of its generation, being exported in large quantities and serving in numerous regional conflicts. A number of countries outside Russia have also manufactured it and in terms of post-WW2 ubiquity, the T-72 probably runs second only to the T-54/55 series.

The Abrams has performed extremely well and can be considered very much a proven design. Beside the USA, a handful of other countries – including Australia – have taken it into service. At the time of introduction, Abrams represented a significant step forward for US armoured forces and if there was any doubt about them being “at the cutting edge” before it arrived, there was certainly none afterwards. The M1 Abrams has been built in substantial numbers and is widely regarded as one of the top handful of modern MBTs.

The question for you guys: Which of these two candidates goes forward to Round 4? T-72 or Abrams?

Only one of these two tanks will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Candidate #42 - T-72 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Service Entry – 1973/74
    Weight – 41.5 metric tons
    Top Speed – 60 km/h (37 mph)
    Main Armament – 125mm smoothbore
    No. Produced – 25,000+

For further info, check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72_op...s_and_variants

Candidate #64 - M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

Service Entry – 1980/81 (initially with 105mm gun as the M1)
    Weight – 61-62 metric tons
    Top Speed – 67 km/h (42 mph) (governed)
    Main Armament – 120mm smoothbore
    No. Produced – 9,000+

For further info, check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams
    http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

T-72 (Russia)
    10.99%
    M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)
    89.01%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 16 Aug 14, 11:39.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA),

Comment

Abrams

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I went with the Abrams.
        The T-72 was intended as a lower-cost but still effective alternative to the T-64.
        I am sure that made the soldiers in the T-72 feel good.
        “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
        ― Groucho Marx

Comment

If it weren't for the Chobham armour and in turn, good combat history, I would have had a tough time deciding as the M1 would have been just another tank. But seeing as it has both, the M1 hands down!

Paul
          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
          All human ills he can subdue,
          Or with a bauble or medal
          Can win mans heart for you;
          And many a blessing know to stew
          To make a megloamaniac bright;
          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

I see the Abrams line of tanks as being much more influential at this stage that the T-72
            BoRG
            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
              I see the Abrams line of tanks as being much more influential at this stage that the T-72
              Absolutely.

The T-72 is a good tank. Its influence is next to nowt, except in sales terms.

The Abrams is the first of a next generation. It is therefore more significant.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Once more, the pox versus leprosy. :aargh:

Both sport composite armour, a big gun, decent speed. M1 Abrams is 20 T heavier, and has a thermal signature that can read from the moon.

T-72

Comment

Export success. And I don't hold the T72 poor performance in Iraq against it. They where useing knock of monky models. Any case they looseing again only this time they have the M1.
                  you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

I expect the Abrams to win this one fairly easily but not because the T-72 is an unworthy candidate in its own right. Rather I think, because the Abrams is such an outstanding one and would be (IMO) a good bet to survive until at least the Quarter-Final.
                    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

i vote T-72. i think it's low success in combat against Abrams and Merkava, are all about crew training. had the T-72 crews the same level of training of USA and Israel, things wouldn't be that easy for Abrams, Merkava and Challenger.

Comment

T-72 does have the exports going for it, but I think the Abrams wins here.
                        "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Really funny how the T72 seems to be manned in all the conflicts he was used in,by a bunch of amateurs,who got the user's guide a few hours before their tank blow up in flames.
                          Abrahams,of course..
                          That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            " ... The Abrams is the first of a next generation. It is therefore more significant."
                            If by "first" you mean first in service, I thought Leopard 2 came in just slightly before Abrams?

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                              I am sure that made the soldiers in the T-72 feel good.
                              The T-64 couldn't be manufactured in the required numbers (too damned expensive) so I guess getting the T-72 was arguably still considerably better than the T-55 or T-62.

I'm wondering how many, if any, of the troops of the client nations involved would have questioned it anyway. Somehow I doubt it.
                              Last edited by panther3485; 17 Aug 14, 07:28.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X