Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 3 Grp B - Centurion (Britain) vs T-55 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 3 Grp B - Centurion (Britain) vs T-55 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Round 3, Group B: Centurion (Britain) vs T-55 (Soviet Union/Russia)

The Centurion, which appeared in service shortly after WW2, has enjoyed a very long and remarkably successful career. It has been used by a considerable number of countries, serving with distinction in numerous conflicts around the World. A few countries are still using updated/modified versions of this very noteworthy AFV, which is reckoned by many to be one of the all-time best tanks.

The T-55 - together with the T-54 and derivatives of both - is the most ubiquitous tank design of all time. More tanks of that type have been built than any other, with an overall total exceeding 100,000. It has served with and in some cases been further developed by a very large number of countries. In one form or another and under various designations and names, this tank has participated in almost every armoured conflict for the last 60+ years, having first seen service in the late 1940s. It still serves in large numbers today.

Only one of these two candidates can progress to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Candidate #33 - Centurion (Britain)

(Note: Some data approximate only; subject to update)
    Service Entry 1946
    Weight 46 51 tons ~ (in basic form, depending on variant)
    Top Speed 35 km/h (22 mph) (early versions faster for some later versions)
    Main Armament 17pdr, 20pdr or 105mm gun
    No. Produced 4,400

For further info, check Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank

Candidate #58 - T-55 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Service Entry 1958/59
    Weight 38-40 metric tons (give or take a margin, with variants)
    Top Speed 50 km/h (31 mph)
    Main Armament 100mm gun
    No. Produced 100,000+ (includes T-54)

For further info, check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/55
    http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product415.html

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Centurion (Britain)
    61.80%
    T-55 (Soviet Union/Russia)
    38.20%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 10 Aug 14, 05:16.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

T-55 (Soviet Union/Russia), i feel Most Significant/Influential Tank.

Comment

Centurion. Again, the T-55 doesn't represent any real advancement, and those auto-loaders are a dead end...literally. Four rounds per minute versus six? Seriously?
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

A good match off! Centurion

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

No better influence than that the Centurion influenced the outcome on the battlefield, and it became the first real MBT and a benchmark for the tanks that followed.

Paul
          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
          All human ills he can subdue,
          Or with a bauble or medal
          Can win mans heart for you;
          And many a blessing know to stew
          To make a megloamaniac bright;
          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Centurion. Again, the T-55 doesn't represent any real advancement, and those auto-loaders are a dead end...literally. Four rounds per minute versus six? Seriously?
            T-55 did not have an automatic loader.
            Last edited by DogDodger; 16 Aug 14, 19:41. Reason: Typo.

Comment

Without doubt the Centurion is more influential than the T-55. The Proto-MBT it showed the way forward for so many tanks to follow.
              BoRG
              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

T-55 wins on numbers only. It exported well, and is similar to the Leo 2 in this regard.

The Centurion was the first truly Universal Tank, ie proto MBT. It was also a winner, and the reason why the L7 105mm was adopted as a NATO standard.

Centurion wins easily.
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Lemme see: jack of all trades v jack of all trades, most successful British design v most successful Soviet design, ~100,000 v ~4,400.

With a production run approximately 20 times larger, the T-55 wins.

Comment

This was a tough one. Still the cent wins and here is why.

Influnce.
                    The centurion was the first MBT, all other MBT even the mighty 3 (leo2/M1/chaly2) there for can trace there routs back to the cent.

Signufcance was the hard one. I would vote the T55 due to numbers, but every time massive numbers of T55 and other USSR tanks fought the Cent, the out numberd centurion all ways won. And I know this is not about what tank is better, but we talking about combat history vs each other and the guy with the centurion tended to be outnumberd and still winning the battel. Still the T55 did give a lot of poor 3rd world countries there first MBT that they still use and if we hold this Poll in 20 years I am sure the last centurion will be in a museum well some poor countrie will still be stuck with the T55. So signfcance is a draw. And so the centurion get 1 win 1 draw. That is why I voted for the centurion.
                    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

i vote for Centurion, great design, could be upgunned, easy to maintain, weak points was low range.

Comment

I thought it was universal that the Panther ws the first MBT.

I went T-55.
                        John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                          I thought it was universal that the Panther ws the first MBT.

I went T-55.
                          Maybe a universal tank but not a MBT.
                          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                            No better influence than that the Centurion influenced the outcome on the battlefield, and it became the first real MBT and a benchmark for the tanks that followed.

Paul
                            I agree, with Paul on this one, even when he goes into the corner.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                              Lemme see: jack of all trades v jack of all trades, most successful British design v most successful Soviet design, ~100,000 v ~4,400.

With a production run approximately 20 times larger, the T-55 wins.
                              Except the Centurion positively influenced the outcome of every campaign it fought in, and over decades. Can't say the same for the T-55. Has the T-55 ever won a difficult military battle? I can think of only one time Centurions might have ever ever lost out to T-55's and that was during an ambush.

The real influence of the T-55 was giving the Western arms industry the leverage to pursue expensive projects they might not normally have got funding for.
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X