Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 3 Grp A - Tiger tanks (Germany) vs T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 3 Grp A - Tiger tanks (Germany) vs T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Round 3, Group A: Tiger tanks (Germany) vs T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Tiger: One of the most famous and iconic tank names from WW2. In the minds of many, the Tigers were the ultimate battle tanks of that conflict. Among the general population of today's Western world, surely there can be very few tanks that have acquired anything like the Tiger's level of fame/infamy and aura of mystique. Much of this, of course, is based more in legend than fact but even with the legend stripped away, the Tiger had a real battlefield and morale impact - on both sides - that was greater than the numbers produced.

On the other hand, I think most of us would agree that there are few if any WW2 tanks that were as influential as the T-34. Certainly, it had a profound impact on the Germans when they encountered it on the battlefield; and by way of response the influence of the T-34 on German tank design - most notably in the Panther - is well known. Most of us, I think, would also acknowledge that the T-34 was - flaws notwithstanding - an effective solution for the Soviets. Furthermore, it was manufactured and fielded in such large numbers that its overall significance cannot be ignored.

In retrospect, which of these two candidates - The Tiger tanks or the T-34 - should be considered tops for significance and/or influence? Crunch time!

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Candidate #27 - Tiger tanks (Germany)

Active Service Entry – 1942/43 (Tiger I) 1944 (Tiger II)
    Weight – 56 metric tons (I); 69 metric tons (II)
    Top Speed – 45 km/h (28 mph) (I); 41.5 km/h (25.8 mph) (II)
    Main Armament – 88mm gun
    No. Produced – 1,347 (I); 492 (II)

For further info, check Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_I
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_II

Candidate #28 - T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Service Entry – 1940
    Weight – 26.5 - 32 metric tons (depending on variant)
    Top Speed – 53 km/h (33 mph)
    Main Armament – 76.2mm or 85mm gun
    No. Produced – 80,000 (approx.; including post-war but sources vary)

For further info, see Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#Mass_production

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Tiger tanks (Germany)
    26.04%
    T-34 (Soviet Union/Russia)
    73.96%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 10 Aug 14, 02:20.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Germans wanted to copy the T-34

Soviets didn't copy the Tiger

Vote accordingly

Comment

T-34 it has more impact on the War.

Comment

The Tiger could take out many T-34's, but the T-34 was more influential.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Here, I have to give the nod to the T-34 which proved that speed and ballistically sloped armor were more than a match for heavy, boxy armor and a bigger gun mounted in a ponderously slow chassis, and the simple, rugged and cheap was far more effective on a battlefield than complex and hideously expensive.

And, of course, the Germans were forced to adopt the Ost-ketten, the broad tracks necessary to operate in Russian mud and snow that were used on the T-34.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

One of the harder choices yet. Big, big , gun and armor to match. Given a good drive train it's presents would have been felt even more. That big gun comes back in present MBT's Tiger but just barely
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Marathag View Post
              Germans wanted to copy the T-34

Soviets didn't copy the Tiger

Vote accordingly
              The Russian industry couldn't have built it at that time IF they wanted to.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Yer Tiger fanboi's will be eating their carpet over this.

Afaiac, the Tiger should not have made it thus far.

Paul
                Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 16 Aug 14, 14:00.
                ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                All human ills he can subdue,
                Or with a bauble or medal
                Can win mans heart for you;
                And many a blessing know to stew
                To make a megloamaniac bright;
                Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

T-34.

Tigers are for people who have never heard of Sigmund Freud.
                  "Looting would not be tolerated within the Division, unless organised with the knowledge of C.O.'s on a unit basis."
                  - 15/19 Hussars War Diary, 18th March 1945

Comment

Not that Tigers weren't influential, or course they were. However they were IMO not nearly as influential on future tank designs as the T34.
                    BoRG
                    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

This one was easy.

The Tiger is the best known tank of WW2. However, it's actual tactical impact overall was negligible as far as battles were concerned.

The T-34 is probably the second best tank known of WW2. It did have an impact on Nazi afv designs post Barbarossa.

The Soviets beat the Nazi's here.
                      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I'm with Nick - most fanboy tank v tank used after the war.

Comment

I voted against the tiger because it should have been knocked out long ago.

It was built in small numbers

Kept on breaking down

Did littil to influnce the battels and wars (the nazis still lost)

Over all tiger equals biggest over hyped tank out there.

So the tiger lost before I even looked at the T34.
                          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            This one was easy.

The Tiger is the best known tank of WW2. However, it's actual tactical impact overall was negligible as far as battles were concerned.

The T-34 is probably the second best tank known of WW2. It did have an impact on Nazi afv designs post Barbarossa.

The Soviets beat the Nazi's here.
                            As far as the English-speaking Western World is concerned, I would say the Tiger and the Sherman are the two best known WW2 tanks.

Otherwise, I agree with you.
                            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

i vote for Tiger. it's easy today label as "fanboy" who likes the Tiger. to these people i suggest read the combat reports from who faced the big cats! seeing the shots bouncing off in Tiger's armour i think wasn't a good view, worst if one see the KWK36 L/56 muzzle brake head on, even at 1500 yards.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X