Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 3 Grp A - Tanks Mk I-V (Britain) vs Christie Mediums 28/36/T3 (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 3 Grp A - Tanks Mk I-V (Britain) vs Christie Mediums 28/36/T3 (USA)

Round 3, Group A: Tanks Mk I-V (Britain) vs Christie Mediums M1928/36 & T3 (USA)

The British Mk I was the first tank ever to go into battle. It was the very first physical fighting embodiment of the word, "tank". The subsequent Mks II-V steadily improved on the design. More of this basic type saw combat in WW1 than any other tank except the Renault FT-17.

The Christie Mediums led to - or in some important way helped to shape or inspire - a number of cruiser/medium tanks that would see large-scale service during WW2. Most notable of these was the Soviet BT series which in turn formed a substantial part of the basis from which the T-34 was developed.

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the more significant and/or influential?

Candidate #1 - Tanks Mk I-V (Britain)

Active Service Entry – 1916 (Mk I)
    Weight – From 27 tons (Mk I ‘Female’) up to 29 tons (Mk. V ‘Male’)
    Top Speed – From 6 km/h (3.7 mph) (Mk I) up to 8 km/h (5 mph) (Mk. V)
    Main Armament – 2 x 6pdr guns (Male) or 4 x .303 MGs (Female)
    No. Produced – 1,870, Mks I-V combined

For further basic info, you can start with Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...of_World_War_I

Tank Mk.I (Male)

Tanks Mk.IV 'Female' (left) and 'Male' (right)

Candidate #16 - Christie Mediums M1928/36 & T3 (USA)

(Note: Data for T3, which was based on the M1928)
    Service Entry – N/A (tested by US Army)
    Weight – 10.8 tons
    Top Speed – 74 km/h (46 mph) wheels; 43 km/h (27 mph) tracks
    Main Armament – 37mm gun
    No. Produced – 9

For further basic info, you can start with Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Walter_Christie

Christie M1928

Christie M1936

Christie T3

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Tanks Mk I-V (Britain)
    58.89%
    Christie Mediums 28/36/T3 (USA)
    41.11%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 29 Aug 14, 03:23.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Christie Mediums 28/36/T3 (USA), for me.

Comment

I'm surprised at this one, because the chritie introduced the supension used to such great effect by the Soviets, and was designed as a high speed tank with a turret as opposed to the lumbering, constantly braking down Rhomboids.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I'm surprised at this one, because the chritie introduced the supension used to such great effect by the Soviets, and was designed as a high speed tank with a turret as opposed to the lumbering, constantly braking down Rhomboids.
        With 9 votes and a score of 5 to one tank and 4 to the other at this stage, far too early to say right now. We have 3 weeks to go and a lot more members to vote yet.
        "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
        Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

I love these polls!!!!
          Elsa: [reading Jacob's palm] "See. According to this, you're already dead."[laughs]
          Army Officer: "Mr. Singer. What an appropriate name for a man who can't shut up."
          "Jacob's Ladder"

Comment

The British rhomboids were the first tanks (just - slightly ahead of the French) to see battle and certainly played an important role in WWI. So they were significant in that conflict. But after that.....? The British took a few to Russia for the post-revolution civil war but beyond that, the rhomboids vanished rapidly from the scene.
            They had many unique features - so uniquely aimed at the trenches in France that few if any found their way into other designs. A few years into the 1920ies tanks looked nothing like the rhomboids, sporting turrets, divided compartments, suspensions and tracks that were not the highest point on the vehicle.
            Influential? Not at all.

The Christie, on the other hand, was the first "fast tank" with large independently sprung roadwheels and was a true revolution in tank design still impacting modern tank designs. The Christie was basically the genesis of the modern tank, at least in terms of the running gear.
            On top of that, the Christie had a massive impact on Soviet tank design with the whole BT-series and the T34 and of course the British Cruiser development.

Once the basic layout of the FT-17 met the large individually sprung roadwheels of the Christie 90% or more the tanks DNA was in place. Without the Christie, tanks would still be slow, primitive, mud-crawlers :-)

So the Christie was significant and influential like few others.

Comment

Influence and significance has to have a source. The Nile and Amazon are only rivers because of their source. Tanks are tanks because of their source. That's why virtually all nations of the world call their tracked and heavy armoured vehicles, TANK.

Paul
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

MK-1 was the first tank to go into battle but the Christie was more influential in future designs. The Christie gets my vote.
                “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Mark 1 through 5

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                    MK-1 was the first tank to go into battle but the Christie was more influential in future designs. The Christie gets my vote.
                    So what was the most influential! The Wright flyer or the Bleriot?

Paul
                    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                    All human ills he can subdue,
                    Or with a bauble or medal
                    Can win mans heart for you;
                    And many a blessing know to stew
                    To make a megloamaniac bright;
                    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

MkI-IV were more influential as far as I'm concerned.
                      BoRG
                      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I'm not.

The very first tanks creating a new tactical effectiveness vs a mere design improvement over a decade later.

Tanks Mk I-V win here easily.
                        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

The early tanks only influence was of a lightly armored box with tracks.

It's a big influence, but almost all of its features were disregarded for later machines.

Side sponsons
                          Rear steering
                          optimized for crossing trenches

Comment

Based on one of the criteria expressed by Panther3485, the Mk I-IV are not tanks, they are SPG.

Ergo, Christie wins.

Comment

Mk1 throu V is why tanks are tanks
                              you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X