Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 4 - T-64 (Russia) vs M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
    " ... but the Bob Semple...was a tractor."
    Fortunately, a Japanese invasion of New Zealand did not occur.

I meant, fortunately for the Japanese, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Super Six 4
    replied
    You missed the Bob Semple battletraktorImean Tank.

I had previously called the Char 2C the battletraktor, after one user said it was like a battleship combined with a tractor, but the Bob Semple...was a tractor.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by TDurden View Post
    I still don't know how the field was chosen but I'm just a small fry newbie, lol.
    I spent a couple of weeks going through all the tanks I could find from 1916 to the present day, and tried to figure which of them were significant and/or influential enough to rate consideration in a tournament with 64 entries.

From this work I came up with the candidates we have, using my own judgement.

Leave a comment:

• TDurden
    replied
    I still don't know how the field was chosen but I'm just a small fry newbie, lol.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
    Abrams but not just because I'm American.
    I believe you, because I voted Abrams too.

Leave a comment:

• Super Six 4
    replied
    Abrams but not just because I'm American.

Leave a comment:

• Galland
    replied
    Abrams....

Leave a comment:

• Merkava188
    replied
    I'd say the M1A1/A2 has had more influence than the T-64. The Abrams has better survivability and speed than the T-64 and has better ammo storage than the T-64.

Leave a comment:

• broderickwells
    replied
    T-64 - auto loader, composite armour, fording depth 1.8m, fires missiles too. All 20 years before something that weighs almost 70 tons.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    In this time bracket? Not even a question, IMO.

Abrams.

Leave a comment:

• warmoviebuff
    replied
    I have tried to not be patriotic, but I'll make an exception here. Abrams

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    The Abrams by a wide margin. Worldwide, it is the tank to beat.

Leave a comment:

• Arthwys
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The T-64 as discussed earlier is really a niche vehicle that the Soviets passed by rather quickly.
    The M1 Abrams on the other hand represents a new generation of "super tank" and was one of the first of that generation in service. It's influence can be seen in the plethora of boxy vehicles now in service with many nations that copied it's design to some degree.
    Yup.

Why repeat it when I agree with it?

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    The T-64 as discussed earlier is really a niche vehicle that the Soviets passed by rather quickly.
    The M1 Abrams on the other hand represents a new generation of "super tank" and was one of the first of that generation in service. It's influence can be seen in the plethora of boxy vehicles now in service with many nations that copied it's design to some degree.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
    "Why does T-64 shows up twice in the polls, or I am missing something? ... "
    No, you have observed correctly. The reason, however, may be less than obvious to most.

When I designed this poll set, I decided to break it into four time groups and keep the contest strictly within those groups for at least the first two Rounds.

However, the 'downside' with this approach was the fact that some tanks spanned at least two of those time groups in a way that was sufficiently significant and/or influential, that it would not (IMO) have been either reasonable or appropriate to exclude them from either one.

I therefore felt compelled to have a very small number of tanks represented in two Groups. Having decided this, I could then see that one complication might easily lead to another, much worse, complication if I did not think carefully enough about the pairings for each successive Round.

Based on the profiles of the tanks in question and what I estimated as the likely outcomes of each poll in both Rounds 1 and 2, I am steering the campaign in such a way that I believe it will be extremely unlikely, if not impossible, that the same basic type will be represented more than once beyond Round 2 in the best case scenario; or Round 3 in the worst.

So relax, my friends. Everything is unfolding as it should. ... Well, OK, maybe not everything but we won't have two of the same tank getting anywhere near the finish line; that much I am prepared to guarantee.

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
    Paul is being rather clever here.
    (Unless Dr. Sinister set this up pretending to be Paul. )
    Never let it be said that I would try to out-sinister Dr. Sinister.
    Last edited by panther3485; 28 Jul 14, 02:45.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X