Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 4 - T-64 (Russia) vs M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 2 Grp 4 - T-64 (Russia) vs M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

Round 2, Group 4: T-64 (Russia) vs M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

At the time of its design and initial service, the T-64 was extremely advanced in certain key aspects. It also had its fair share of drawbacks. T-64 continues to serve into the present time but mainly with Ukraine, which is believed to have about 1,500 on strength. Over the duration of its service, various updates or ‘upgrade packs’ have been applied to the T-64 to prolong its effective life.

The Abrams has performed extremely well and can be considered a proven design. Beside the USA, a handful of other countries – including Australia – have taken it into service. At the time of introduction, Abrams represented a significant step forward for US armoured forces and if there was any doubt about them being “at the cutting edge” before it arrived, there was certainly none afterwards.

These two tanks are not only considerably different in appearance, they also were born into two different eras of tank design and development. That said, over the entire history of the tank one would arguably be more significant and/or influential than the other.

In your opinion, which one?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Candidate #60 - T-64 (Russia)

Service Entry – late 1960’s (limited production); early 1970’s (main series)
    Weight – 38-40 metric tons
    Top Speed – 60 km/h (37 mph)
    Main Armament – 125mm smoothbore (115mm in initial batch)
    No. Produced – 13,000 (approx.)

For further info, check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-64
    http://www.military-today.com/tanks/t64.htm

Candidate #64 - M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

Service Entry – 1980/81 (initially with 105mm gun as the M1)
    Weight – 61-62 metric tons
    Top Speed – 67 km/h (42 mph) (governed)
    Main Armament – 120mm smoothbore
    No. Produced – 9,000+

For further info, check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams
    http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!
    T-64 (Russia)
    6.82%
    M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)
    93.18%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 25 Jul 14, 10:01.
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Tough one. It may be that the "influence" of the Abrams series is to convince many countries that they can no longer afford to own a competitive MBT. Faced with the enormous cost of these weapons, what is a defense minister to do?
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Abrams.
      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

we all know the winner
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

Comment

Got to go with the Abrams even if I like the T-64.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I'm leaning towards the T-64, partially because of the lessons learned from this design when you consider the more modern MBTs coming out of Russia, it was more advanced than the T-62 and T-72 in several areas even though it suffered from reliability issues.
              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
              Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
              Mark Twain.

Comment

Why does T-64 shows up twice in the polls, or I am missing something?

I went Abrams...It brought the ultimate combination of speed, armor and firepower, without compensating one for the other...It did bring a need for larger logistical tail (a higher need for ammo and especially fuel) but nothing the Americans cannot deal with very well.

Very influential, as the M1 required that doctrine and tactics templates to be re-written by US and NATO... The tank`s speed made it show up faster then expected by planners, be it on exercises and on the battlefield!

Comment

heh, heh

Paul is being rather clever here.
                  (Unless Dr. Sinister set this up pretending to be Paul. )
                  Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    Got to go with the Abrams even if I like the T-64.

Pruitt
                    True,

M1A1/A2 Abrams (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                      "Why does T-64 shows up twice in the polls, or I am missing something? ... "
                      No, you have observed correctly. The reason, however, may be less than obvious to most.

When I designed this poll set, I decided to break it into four time groups and keep the contest strictly within those groups for at least the first two Rounds.

However, the 'downside' with this approach was the fact that some tanks spanned at least two of those time groups in a way that was sufficiently significant and/or influential, that it would not (IMO) have been either reasonable or appropriate to exclude them from either one.

I therefore felt compelled to have a very small number of tanks represented in two Groups. Having decided this, I could then see that one complication might easily lead to another, much worse, complication if I did not think carefully enough about the pairings for each successive Round.

Based on the profiles of the tanks in question and what I estimated as the likely outcomes of each poll in both Rounds 1 and 2, I am steering the campaign in such a way that I believe it will be extremely unlikely, if not impossible, that the same basic type will be represented more than once beyond Round 2 in the best case scenario; or Round 3 in the worst.

So relax, my friends. Everything is unfolding as it should. ... Well, OK, maybe not everything but we won't have two of the same tank getting anywhere near the finish line; that much I am prepared to guarantee.

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                      Paul is being rather clever here.
                      (Unless Dr. Sinister set this up pretending to be Paul. )
                      Never let it be said that I would try to out-sinister Dr. Sinister.
                      Last edited by panther3485; 28 Jul 14, 02:45.
                      "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

The T-64 as discussed earlier is really a niche vehicle that the Soviets passed by rather quickly.
                        The M1 Abrams on the other hand represents a new generation of "super tank" and was one of the first of that generation in service. It's influence can be seen in the plethora of boxy vehicles now in service with many nations that copied it's design to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          The T-64 as discussed earlier is really a niche vehicle that the Soviets passed by rather quickly.
                          The M1 Abrams on the other hand represents a new generation of "super tank" and was one of the first of that generation in service. It's influence can be seen in the plethora of boxy vehicles now in service with many nations that copied it's design to some degree.
                          Yup.

Why repeat it when I agree with it?
                          BoRG
                          "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

The Abrams by a wide margin. Worldwide, it is the tank to beat.

Comment

I have tried to not be patriotic, but I'll make an exception here. Abrams

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X