Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 4 - Type 90 (Japan) vs T-55 (Russia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 2 Grp 4 - Type 90 (Japan) vs T-55 (Russia)

Round 2, Group 4: Type 90 (Japan) vs T-55 (Russia)

The Type 90 has a somewhat ‘western’ appearance which is not at all surprising considering there was considerable input from the German Krauss-Maffei and MaK companies. It was intended to bring the Japanese tank park up to date primarily by replacing the ageing Type 61. There is now also the brand new Japanese Type 10 tank which is being phased into service at the present but this will probably not entirely supersede the Type 90 for some considerable time yet. Type 90 has not been marketed for export; being purely for domestic use in accordance with policy.

The T-55 - together with the T-54 and derivatives of both - is the most ubiquitous tank design of all time. More tanks of that type have been built than any other, with an overall total exceeding 100,000. It has served with and in some cases been further developed by a very large number of countries. In one form or another and under various designations and names, this tank has participated in almost every armoured conflict for the last 60+ years, having first seen service in the late 1940’s. It still serves in large numbers today.

These two types represent quite different periods in the development of the tank but the question remains, what's their relative significance or influence? Which do you think should go on to Round 3?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Candidate #56 - Type 90 (Japan)

Service Entry – 1992
    Weight – 50 metric tons
    Top Speed – 70 km/h (43.5 mph)
    Main Armament – 120mm smoothbore
    No. Produced – 341

For further info, check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_90_Ky%C5%AB-maru
    http://www.military-today.com/tanks/type_90.htm

Candidate #58 - T-55 (Russia)

Service Entry – 1958/59
    Weight – 38-40 metric tons (give or take a margin, with variants)
    Top Speed – 50 km/h (31 mph)
    Main Armament – 100mm gun
    No. Produced – 100,000+ (includes T-54)

For further info, check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/55
    http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product415.html

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Type 90 (Japan)
    8.05%
    T-55 (Russia)
    91.95%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 26 Jul 14, 12:29.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

T-55
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
      T-55
      You and I must think alike. At least enough for me to read the first post, think about how I'll vote, then decide on which tank...scroll down...and you've also voted for it!

T-55 for me. I'd say it's much more significant based on its production numbers, exporting, and service. This also has a bearing on it's influence methinks.
      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

A tank that will never be sold and probably never go to war, vs a tank sold world over and fighting in wars all over
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

T-55 (Russia)

Comment

The T-55 is still in service across the world and the best versions are serious threats to whatever enemy they face. Don't the Israelis still have some armed with a 105 main gun?

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

No contest, I think: the T-55.
              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                A tank that will never be sold and probably never go to war, vs a tank sold world over and fighting in wars all over
                Nice way of putting it.
                "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                  The T-55 is still in service across the world and the best versions are serious threats to whatever enemy they face. Don't the Israelis still have some armed with a 105 main gun?

Pruitt
                  No.

But we do have some with the turret cut off and converted into APCs.

Comment

T-55 will leave the Type 90 in a trail of dust in this poll.
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

The Type 90 is probably a better tank. With proper tactics and handling will beat the T-55.

BUT

as this poll is about significant and influence, my vote goes to the T-55 hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                        The Type 90 is probably a better tank. With proper tactics and handling will beat the T-55.

BUT

as this poll is about significant and influence, my vote goes to the T-55 hands down.
                        True,

Comment

Neither of these really deserves a vote. The T-55 is another rehash of the same old T-series going back to WWII, and the Japanese design is a copy of Western tank designs.

However, the Soviets get credit for designing, building and sending their own into combat, while Japan never goes anywhere with theirs except on maneuvers, and no one is lined up to buy Japan's MBT. So the T-55 gets the vote this time.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

T-55 and didn't have to think too long about it.
                            “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                            ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Neither of these really deserves a vote. The T-55 is another rehash of the same old T-series going back to WWII, and the Japanese design is a copy of Western tank designs.

However, the Soviets get credit for designing, building and sending their own into combat, while Japan never goes anywhere with theirs except on maneuvers, and no one is lined up to buy Japan's MBT. So the T-55 gets the vote this time.
                              ... not to mention that the T-54/55 series and derivatives - of which over 100,000 have been produced - has served over more years, in more armies and fought in more conflicts than I've had hot dinners; while the less than 400 Type 90s have served on some ... some ... some ...

... very realistic exercises in Japan?????

Geeeee!!!! What a difficult decision! I'll agonize for days over this!!!
                              Last edited by panther3485; 28 Jul 14, 07:52.
                              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X