Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 4 - Leopard 2 (Germany) vs Merkava I/II/III/IV (Israel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The m1, merk and chally did not do any thing a centurion could not do. You say a cent is better than a leo2?
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

• Originally posted by andrewza View Post
      The m1, merk and chally did not do any thing a centurion could not do. You say a cent is better than a leo2?
      As far as this poll goes then yes. It is a far more significant tank, being a world leader in performance where it counts, ie on the battlefield.

We simply just do not know how good the Leo2 would be in actual combat.

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
      Leopard 2 taking on enemy armour at Kosovo

The Leopard 2 has not seen anywhere near the amount of combat against serious opposition that the Merkava has.

The Leopard 2 has never really been tested in battle. Let's hope it never is.
      Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
      Quite true. It hasn't yet had the need to go up against 25-40 year older tanks like the Challenger 2 has.
      As compared to the next to nothing opposition the Leo has .

Note that I voted Leo 2 because it is more significant due to sales. However, I suspect that the sales are more due to politics than the tanks capability.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
        However, I suspect that the sales are more due to politics than the tanks capability.
        When we (Australia) acquired the Abrams, we got ourselves a damned fine MBT but politics/alliances, as well as economics, would surely have played a role in the decision too; and IIRC our American chums gave us a fairly good package deal.

If we look at tank sales from the major producing nations, all over the World, I'm prepared to bet that politics/alliances and economics were at least an equal factor in most and dominated some.

However, this in no way diminishes the significance and/or influence factors thus acquired or implemented. They are what they are, regardless of how or why they happen. There's no rule of law saying it should only be recognized if it occurs for reasons we "like".
        Furthermore IMO, the "quality" of the tanks in question isn't completely irrelevant but it often takes a back seat to economics and politics. This is the real World we all live in. (OK, maybe a few of us don't. )
        Last edited by panther3485; 13 Aug 14, 04:47.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• The Australian M1 AIMs were real cheap, and being almost completely refurbished... it was too good to refuse.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

Working...
          X