Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 3 - Leopard 1 (Germany) vs T-62 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 2 Grp 3 - Leopard 1 (Germany) vs T-62 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Round 2, Group 3: Leopard 1 (Germany) vs T-62 (Soviet Union/Russia)

The Leopard 1 was built to optimize armament and mobility as the highest priorities, at a time when many designers thought it was impractical to carry enough armour to defeat the latest anti-tank weapons. Speed, agility and good hitting power were therefore being relied upon to a considerable extent.

The T-62 was produced in large numbers. Also, it has seen considerable service with at least 20 countries and participated in numerous conflicts. Its 115mm main gun the first smoothbore tank gun to see action represented a significant upward step from the 100mm armament of T-55; and T-62 could be very effective in battle.

Which of these two 1960s tanks will you vote for?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Candidate #37 - Leopard 1 (Germany)

Service Entry 1965
    Weight 40-42 metric tons
    Top Speed 65 km/h (40 mph)
    Main Armament 105mm gun
    No. Produced 4,510

For further info, check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_1
    http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product152.html

Candidate #40 - T-62 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Service Entry around 1963
    Weight 40 metric tons
    Top Speed 50 km/h (31 mph)
    Main Armament 115mm smoothbore gun
    No. Produced 23,000 (approx.)

For further info, check this on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-62

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Leopard 1 (Germany)
    67.42%
    T-62 (Soviet Union/Russia)
    32.58%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 25 Jul 14, 11:19.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Leopard I
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

t62 due to combat history
      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Leopard 1 (Germany)

Comment

I don't like the Leopard I, but it was better than the T-62.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I don't like the T62, but I have my doubts as to how the paper tiger would have performed. Gun Good, reliability good, armour?

Paul
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              I don't like the Leopard I, but it was better than the T-62.

Pruitt
              But other than the Canadian C1s how many saw action. T62s are still fighting wars.
              you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Leopard 1, a benchmark for the sixties:- and still in service, I believe.
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Voted Leopard I

Comment

chose T-62,

Comment

Leopard: this was a new and modern design, while the T-62 was a continuation of original T-34 concept.

Furthermore, the Soviets went down the dead-end road of auto-loaders, which dramatically reduced the number of rounds that could be fired per minute.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Leopard: this was a new and modern design, while the T-62 was a continuation of original T-34 concept.

Furthermore, the Soviets went down the dead-end road of auto-loaders, which dramatically reduced the number of rounds that could be fired per minute.
                        T-62 didn't had an auto-loader. It was the length of the gun that have forced designers to fit an automatic ejection system for spent shell cases. Each time the gun is fired, the gun tube fully elevates for ejection and the power traverse of the turret is rendered inoperable during this process.

Leclerc tank also use auto-loader. It is not slower than human loader. At certain point it is irrelevant how fast your loader, human or auto, since rounds need to be aimed too.

I gave my vote to T-62 because it introduced a smooth-bore tank gun and it was used a lot in combat. Leopard 1 was not, and it was exported less than T-62.
                        It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                        Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

The Leopard represents Germany's return to manufacturing battle tanks post WW 2. It has shown a considerable degree of adaptability and room for improvement.

The T-62 was an attempt to shoehorn a bigger gun into essentially what was a T-55 tank. It represents a poorly engineered vehicle that had serious issues that showed in its poor combat performances where used.

Comment

The Leopard I was in many ways a lesson in the changing of doctrine, and how design adapted to accommodate it. The Lessons learned form the limitations of the Leo I led to the development of the Leo II.
                            BoRG
                            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              The Leopard represents Germany's return to manufacturing battle tanks post WW 2. It has shown a considerable degree of adaptability and room for improvement.

The T-62 was an attempt to shoehorn a bigger gun into essentially what was a T-55 tank. It represents a poorly engineered vehicle that had serious issues that showed in its poor combat performances where used.
                              Agree.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X