Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 3 - Chieftain (Britain) vs T-72 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 2 Grp 3 - Chieftain (Britain) vs T-72 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Round 2, Group 3: Chieftain (Britain) vs T-72 (Soviet Union/Russia)

In designing the Chieftain, the British were seeking a solution that would combine both armour and gun-power to deal with the heaviest tanks of any potential enemy, yet retain somewhere near the speed and mobility associated with a medium tank; in other words, a true MBT from the drawing-board. It was on the basis of this line of thinking that the Chieftain tank was born; and it is from this line that the current British MBT Challenger 2 draws its inheritance.

The T-72 was intended as a lower-cost but still effective alternative to the T-64. It was also to become a more powerful and up-to-date solution for export clients, including many of those who had already purchased earlier types such as T-54/55 and T-62. By the 1990's the T-72 and its variants was becoming the most widely used MBT of its generation, being exported in large quantities and serving in numerous regional conflicts. A number of countries outside Russia have also manufactured it.

The question for you guys: Which of these two candidates goes forward to the next round? Chieftain or T-72?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Candidate #34 - Chieftain (Britain)

Service Entry 1966* (some delays before full entry was implemented)
    Weight 55 tons
    Top Speed 48 km/h (30 mph)
    Main Armament 120mm gun
    No. Produced 2,083

For further info, check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chieftain_tank
    http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor...sp?armor_id=83

Candidate #42 - T-72 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Service Entry 1973/74
    Weight 41.5 metric tons
    Top Speed 60 km/h (37 mph)
    Main Armament 125mm smoothbore
    No. Produced 25,000+

For further info, check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72_op...s_and_variants

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Chieftain (Britain)
    34.48%
    T-72 (Soviet Union/Russia)
    65.52%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 10 Aug 14, 10:31.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

T-72
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I really think the T72 is going to own this one
      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

T-72 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Comment

I think the Chieftain was a better tank. They both had flaws, though.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            I think the Chieftain was a better tank. They both had flaws, though.

Pruitt
            Agreed, the Chieftain was probably the better tank, but the T-72 was/is more influential.
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

A slower, heavier armored with a big gun tank vs one with faster speed, heavier gun but a automatic reloading mechanism .

I will go for speed over armor as significance and influence markers, so my vote went to the T-72.

Comment

T-72 for sure,

Comment

Based on uses throughout the globe I think T-72 gets this one. I have to recall the first time I stood next to it and was amazed at how small it seemed.
                  John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                    Based on uses throughout the globe I think T-72 gets this one. I have to recall the first time I stood next to it and was amazed at how small it seemed.
                    Yes, compared to most Western MBTs it's quite compact and has a very low profile.
                    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      Yes, compared to most Western MBTs it's quite compact and has a very low profile.
                      Quite so.

It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                      Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

While the Chieftain is a fine tank its influence has been far less than what has really become the replacement for the T-55: The T-72.
                        I think the Chieftain is a better tank but the T-72 has had far greater influence on tank design and on world events.

Comment

IMO the Chieftain was a better tank, but the T72 had more influence.
                          BoRG
                          "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

From a lot of these post-war polls, I'm gathering that "influence" = churning out downgraded versions of your tank model like Chicken McNuggets and then selling them to poor countries who lose wars.
                            "Looting would not be tolerated within the Division, unless organised with the knowledge of C.O.'s on a unit basis."
                            - 15/19 Hussars War Diary, 18th March 1945

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X