Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 3 - Centurion (Britain) vs T-34-85 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 2 Grp 3 - Centurion (Britain) vs T-34-85 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Round 2, Group 3: Centurion (Britain) vs T-34-85 (Soviet Union/Russia)

The Centurion, which appeared in service shortly after WW2, has enjoyed a very long and remarkably successful career. It has been used by a considerable number of countries, serving with distinction in numerous conflicts around the World. A few countries are still using updated/modified versions of this very noteworthy AFV, which is reckoned by many to be one of the all-time best tanks.

The T-34-85 saw its first combat during WW2, in early 1944. Following WW2 it served with a great number of countries, over a very long period of time and in more conflicts than most of us would be able to think of; despite having relatively little potential for upgrade or improvement. Nevertheless, it remained a workable low-cost solution for many users and if longevity of service is any criterion, the T-34 certainly has that.

Which of these tanks will catch your vote?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Candidate #33 - Centurion (Britain)

(Note: Some data approximate only; subject to update)
    Service Entry 1946
    Weight 46 51 tons ~ (in basic form, depending on variant)
    Top Speed 35 km/h (22 mph) (early versions faster for some later versions)
    Main Armament 17pdr, 20pdr or 105mm gun
    No. Produced 4,400

For further info, check Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank

Candidate #38 - T-34-85 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Service Entry 1944
    Weight 32 metric tons
    Top Speed 55 km/h (34 mph)
    Main Armament 85mm gun
    No. Produced 45,000 (approx.)

For further info, check these wiki entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#T-34-85

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Centurion (Britain)
    59.34%
    T-34-85 (Soviet Union/Russia)
    40.66%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 25 Jul 14, 12:13.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

T-34-85
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

How the T34-85 qualified is beyond me. Other than a slightly bigger gun it is no better than a T34.

After ww2 the T34-85 was at it's end. The latest centurion came out early 2000.

I mea it is really a no brainer that the centurion is the better tank, longer serving tank, more upgradable tank, better serves history(winning more battles and wars exra) and over all the tank with more influence than a t34 with a bigger gun.

Note the T34 became something a armoured car the size of a Jeep used to hunt down where the Centurion was still able to not only hold it's own vs tanks build decades after it was built but dominant them
      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/co.../centurion.php

just look at all those centurion models

where the T34 just never moved on beyond 1944

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww...iet_T34-85.php
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

T-34-85 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Comment

The Centurion is a better tank and has been around almost as long.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              The Centurion is a better tank and has been around almost as long.

Pruitt
              though I fear the T34 fanboy club ma ruin this poll. you know the same group that think it is better than the M4 Sherman.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

The T-34 is a better tank, but the Sherman has its qualities. A Turret Basket in the T-34 would go a long way to correcting some of its faults. If you had to work both tanks in places like Angola, I would rate the T-34-85 superior. That would be due to the lack of logistic support.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I would take a supper Sherman with a dissiel engine and a 105mm gun over the T34. remember there was all most zero difference between a Angolan T34-85 in 1981 and a Russian one in 1944. when it comes to the Sherman vs t34 vote I will vote Sherman due to just how many versions there where, I mean the fire fly is still a Sherman but it could kill a tiger.

The T34-85 is the end of the line for the T34 line.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Now that really isn't fair:- both excellent and the Centurion has always been one of my favourites.

But if "influential" is the keyword then it has to be the T34/85.
                    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                      Now that really isn't fair:- both excellent and the Centurion has always been one of my favourites.

But if "influential" is the keyword then it has to be the T34/85.
                      but it did not influence any thing though?

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

T-34 could be considered significant and influent. The T-34/85 was an upgrade of it. Not so significant.
                        John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                          but it did not influence any thing though?
                          Yes, the T-34 series in its entirety was more persuasive I think- although I certainly know where you are coming from, it's against my instincts too: a tough choice.
                          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                            Yes, the T-34 series in its entirety was more persuasive I think- although I certainly know where you are coming from, it's against my instincts too: a tough choice.
                            yeah but this is for the T34-85 not the t34.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                              though I fear the T34 fanboy club ma ruin this poll. you know the same group that think it is better than the M4 Sherman.
                              Speaking for myself only, of course, but I rate the T-34 and the Sherman as being of approximately equal merit. Quite different in a number of ways; but in terms of their importance, significance and value of service - pretty much equal. Strong in different areas, but again, taken overall, approximately equal. I think the T-34 was arguably more influential in terms of tank design but by the same token during WW2, the Sherman was used by more nations in far more places.

I would agree that the T-34-85 as a sub-type in its own right, and the subject of this poll, was not as influential as the Centurion. On the other hand, its sheer numbers and considerable longevity in post-WW2 service do make it a very significant tank in that sense.

Those are my thoughts, written exactly as they came to mind just now.

... and, andrewza, everyone here is entitled to their own opinion. I think we should try to steer clear of the "fanboy" labelling.
                              Last edited by panther3485; 27 Jul 14, 07:36.
                              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X