Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 2 - PzKpfw 38(t) (Germany) vs M4 Sherman (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 2 Grp 2 - PzKpfw 38(t) (Germany) vs M4 Sherman (USA)

Round 2, Group 2: PzKpfw 38(t) (Germany) vs M4 Sherman (USA)

PzKpfw 38(t) was the German designation for the Czechoslovak LT-38. This tank did much to bolster German armoured strength for their early campaigns. Without it, they would have been even more desperate for medium tanks. Indeed, in terms of speed the 38(t) was a smidgeon faster than their primary medium, the PzKpfw III, as well as possessing good agility, cross-country performance and reliability. After the 38(t) had ceased to be viable as a first-line battle tank, its chassis continued to be very useful, serving in large numbers as the basis for a variety of tank destroyers and SP guns.

The Sherman received its baptism of fire in British hands near the end of 1942, and was well regarded by them. The virtues of the M4 - which included its wide availability - allowed it to serve very effectively in a variety of environments and on a global scale. There are few Allied tanks in WW2 that can claim to have served in as many theatres and locations; and none in anything like the numbers. The combination of its sound fundamental attributes together with reliability and adaptability and the numbers available, made the Sherman a valuable tool in the Allied effort. The M4 also had a quite noteworthy post-WW2 career.

So, which tank out of these two do you think had the most significance and influence?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Candidate #23 - PzKpfw 38(t) (Germany)

Active Service Entry – 1939
    Weight – 9.8 metric tons
    Top Speed – 42 km/h (26 mph)
    Main Armament – 37mm gun
    No. Produced – 1,400+

For further info, see Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_38(t)

Candidate #32 - M4 Sherman (USA)

Active Service Entry – late 1942
    Weight – 30 - 32 tons
    Top Speed – 40 - 48 km/h (25 - 30 mph)
    Main Armament – 75mm gun
    No. Produced – 49,234

For further info, see Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

PzKpfw 38(t) (Germany)
    5.38%
    M4 Sherman (USA)
    94.62%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 26 Jul 14, 01:57.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

M4 Sherman
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

M4 best allied tank of the war with a good post war serves history looking at you super Sherman
      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

M4 Sherman (USA)

Comment

Sherman was lucky to draw the Panzer 38.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

No contest really.
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Used by almost every allied nation in winning the greatest conflict in history. Pretty significant.
              John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                Used by almost every allied nation in winning the greatest conflict in history. Pretty significant.
                Agree. I voted Sherman.

Comment

M4 Sherman (USA) for me,

Comment

M4, which led to a long line of successful designs in American service.

Although the T-38 was an influential design in German hands, it did not lead to a furtherance of the line, nor were subsequent successful German designs modeled on the 38.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

M4 Sherman.
                      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                      ― Groucho Marx

Comment

I voted for the M4, not because it was a better tank, as had been argued by others, but because of the influence it had on future designs, and the influence it had on build principles.
                        BoRG
                        "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

The Sherman. The Czech tank was surprisingly influential - during WWII. The Sherman's heritage lasted longer than that war.
                          Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                            Agree. I voted Sherman.
                            Agree.

Comment

Pz38t was important for the Germans early in the war and influenced much of their wartime planning and design, spawning a series of different designs, many of which were, however, cut short by the war. It spawned the Hetzer which was an important element in the mechanization of the German Army in 1944/45, providing some of backbone of German infantry divisions.

I'm not really sure that the Sherman influenced much in terms of design and development. It was far to much of a wartime expedient to carry any real influence. It offered its drive-line to the M26, but that was abandoned in the M46, which was a much better vehicle. Other than that, I dont really see many bits and bobs from the Sherman surviving into anything postwar.

In terms of significance, the M4 runs the Pz38t into the ground. Production numbers, user-nations, world-wide application, role in WWII and many post-war conflicts, its development potential... one could go on and on.

So it is M4 for me based on significance.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X