Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 1 - A7V (Germany) vs BT-5/7 (Soviet Union/Russia)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    When I look at the A7V, I always imagine a pair of giant slices of bread will pop out the top.
    "Looting would not be tolerated within the Division, unless organised with the knowledge of C.O.'s on a unit basis."
    - 15/19 Hussars War Diary, 18th March 1945

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Don Juan View Post
      When I look at the A7V, I always imagine a pair of giant slices of bread will pop out the top.
      gotta give that +1

      Edit: Went with the BT tank. IMO the A7V by comparison is barely a footnote in the history of the tank.
      Last edited by panther3485; 04 Aug 14, 08:41.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

      Comment


      • #18
        Exactly. The A7V is designed by rank beginners. The BT-5/7 was designed by tank designers.

        BTW, the question that should have been asked is Which of these tanks is the more influential or significant. It is a comparison between two. Most is reserved for three or more.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
          " ... BTW, the question that should have been asked is Which of these tanks is the more influential or significant. It is a comparison between two. Most is reserved for three or more."
          Strictly speaking yes, brod, that is correct. However, in this overall context as each pair is part of a larger whole containing 32 candidates (64 in Round 1), I thought it would be OK to use "most" both in the main title and in each component part of the whole, through all 6 Rounds. Even the two tanks remaining in the Final will only be there because they have been distilled from the 64 starters.
          I was getting away with it until you came along.
          (Doesn't matter how pedantic I get, there's always someone who'll "out-pedant" me.)

          Btw, welcome to the campaign.
          I was beginning to get worried you might have been in hospital or something.
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
            Strictly speaking yes, brod, that is correct. However, in this overall context as each pair is part of a larger whole containing 32 candidates (64 in Round 1), I thought it would be OK to use "most" both in the main title and in each component part of the whole, through all 6 Rounds. Even the two tanks remaining in the Final will only be there because they have been distilled from the 64 starters.
            I was getting away with it until you came along.
            (Doesn't matter how pedantic I get, there's always someone who'll "out-pedant" me.)

            Btw, welcome to the campaign.
            I was beginning to get worried you might have been in hospital or something.
            The comparison of two will always be the more. The final announcement of the winner will be the most. After all, it is the winner of more than three. I've got the 'flu here and I spotted this. What's wrong with you people? English for the vast majority is your first language. You should know this instinctively.

            Got stuck in limbo-land - the perils of new housing construction, fibre-optic cabling and monopoly service providers.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
              The comparison of two will always be the more. The final announcement of the winner will be the most. After all, it is the winner of more than three. I've got the 'flu here and I spotted this. What's wrong with you people? English for the vast majority is your first language. You should know this instinctively.
              Relax, brod. I already acknowledged that you are correct ... or didn't you notice that with your flu?

              I consider both my written and spoken English to be above average but I do not strive for perfection on an internet forum. Most here would, I am sure, share my acknowledgement of your correctness but nobody is going to get their knickers in a twist over it. So don't bust your pooper valve, OK?


              Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
              " ... Got stuck in limbo-land - the perils of new housing construction, fibre-optic cabling and monopoly service providers."
              Glad to learn that you are OK. Building a new home can be stressful.
              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                Relax, brod. I already acknowledged that you are correct ... or didn't you notice that with your flu?

                I consider both my written and spoken English to be above average but I do not strive for perfection on an internet forum. Most here would, I am sure, share my acknowledgement of your correctness but nobody is going to get their knickers in a twist over it. So don't bust your pooper valve, OK?
                The polls have been going how long and I'm the first to spot it? I've been off-line for 6 weeks. I'm not busting you, I'm appalled that no-one else has mentioned it. We've got a general election campaign going on over here, and the urge to filibuster about the 3Rs is overwhelming, especially when there are anoraks on this forum who'll bust your sphericals for writing Me-109 and not Bf-109.

                Glad to learn that you are OK. Building a new home can be stressful.
                Yup.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                  "The polls have been going how long and I'm the first to spot it? I've been off-line for 6 weeks. I'm not busting you, I'm appalled that no-one else has mentioned it."
                  If that's true then I think you are allowing yourself to be "appalled" far too easily.

                  Besides, there is no proof that you are the only one who spotted it. There is only proof that nobody else has commented on it. A number of people may very well have spotted it but not been "appalled", or in any way sufficiently motivated to say anything in-forum. Indeed, thinking back to the original drafting of Round 1 I seem to recall a brief flicker of doubt in my own mind, when I made up the title question that was copied to each pairing; but at the time it didn't strike me as being important enough to stop and change it; and I certainly haven't worried since. (At least, not until today. )

                  Tell you what, though. Since it's getting up your nose so much I'll change it for the following Rounds. I like to keep people happy as far as reasonably possible and I'm sure it won't bother anyone else either way when I fix it.


                  Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                  " ... We've got a general election campaign going on over here, and the urge to filibuster about the 3Rs is overwhelming, especially when there are anoraks on this forum who'll bust your sphericals for writing Me-109 and not Bf-109."
                  I'm not sure that's the best possible example; however, when it comes to technical stuff and 'correct' designations for equipment, you really need to expect some members on a forum like this to be pedantic about that kind of shiite.

                  Just don't expect perfect English. Expecting that will doom you to repeated, perpetual and incurable disappointment, my friend.
                  Last edited by panther3485; 08 Aug 14, 23:08.
                  "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The BT-5/7 should be viewed as an influence because it set the stage for the T-34 tanks that would serve Mother Russia against the Germans.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Mephisto is still on display down at the Sydney museum if im not mistaken..?

                      The BT tank though has to win this particular head to head though..

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Galland View Post
                        Mephisto is still on display down at the Sydney museum if im not mistaken..?
                        It always used to be at the Brisbane museum. Mark Whitmore's book (as the curator at Brisbane) dates back to around 1990 IIRC. I guess that's about 25 years they've had to move it if they wanted to. That said, if they were going to do it then perhaps its most rightful place - if it was to stay in Australia rather than going back to Germany - would be in Canberra?
                        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X