Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 1 - Renault FT-17 (France) vs Char 2C (France)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renault FT-17.

First tank that would instantly recognizable as such, even by child.

It gave the world of tank design a basic layout that is dominant today and has to a large degree influenced most tank designs since WWI:

- Hull divided into three compartments: Driving, fighting and engine.
    - Rotating turret with main armament on top of the hull
    - Engine in the rear, rear drive

Another contender for top-3 in my book.

Comment

Weigh wachter diet versus 100% protein diet..
      Guess who lives longer ?
      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

The FT-17 was France's Sherman.
        Cheers,
        Phil
        They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
        Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
        At the going down of the sun and in the morning
        We will remember them.

Rest easy.

Comment

Char 2C, which had provisions for a separate gunner and a proper turret. The "whippet" tanks were another developmental dead end.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

FT-17.

Comment

Renault FT-17.it show the way a Tank should look like: a gun in a rotating turret.

Comment

IMO, Char 2C was a tank of some significance in its own right; but here it is up against the Renault FT.

No contest, the Renault wins hands down IMO.
                "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Well, of course it did.
                  But I have thought it was TOO small. I saw my first one when I we 13, and I could barely move around in it!
                  Either armed with a MG or a cannon, it didn't have room for both.

But yes, it was the best tank of its age, so good that is was still in use in the USA for 20 years after the end of the war.
                  Reputation can carry a tank a long way, after all.
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Like the British Mk I-V the Renault certainly was very influential. The Char 2C to me looked like an evolution of the FT-17 design. Sadly the Char 2C as well as the FT-17 came up short against German designs in 1940.

Comment

The first recognisable tank, versus a stranded whale. Tough question....

Comment

le Renault.... wonder if they had the same reliability issues back then that their cars have now...?

Comment

Originally posted by Galland View Post
                          le Renault.... wonder if they had the same reliability issues back then that their cars have now...?
                          I think the levels of mechanical reliability and stamina, with minimal maintenance, that many of us take for granted today would have been but a dream back then.

A couple of months ago, I took my new(ish) Hyundai i30 - which I'd purchased brand new a year previously - in for its routine 12-month service.

When I paid the bill and picked up the car, the guy behind the counter said, "OK, Paul! She's good to go! See you next June!"

Next June! Another twelve months!

Bloody amazing if you ask me.
                          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X