Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rnd 2 Grp 1 - Renault FT-17 (France) vs Char 2C (France)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rnd 2 Grp 1 - Renault FT-17 (France) vs Char 2C (France)

Round 2, Group 1: Renault FT-17 (France) vs Char 2C (France)

The French FT-17 pioneered the internal layout that would become the norm for later generations of tanks right up until today. Perhaps this, more than anything else, makes it highly influential. It was also built in considerable numbers and rendered effective service during the last year of WW1, as well as a modest amount of service in WW2. During the inter-war period a number of other countries either purchased the FT, or built or produced tanks based on its general design.

The Char 2C with its two turrets – one near the front and the other towards the rear – was the first multi-turret tank to reach production and service. Another first was that the main turret was 3-man. Internal communication was by voice tubes. Char 2C was very formidable in terms of its gun-power and armour. However, it was too late for service in WW1 and did not render any of significance in WW2.

So, which of these French beauties will get your vote?

Only one of these two candidates will make it to the next round!

Which of them is the most significant and/or influential?

Candidate #10 - Renault FT-17 (France)

Active Service Entry – 1917/18
    Weight – 6.6 metric tons
    Top Speed – 8 Km/h (5 mph)
    Main Armament – 37mm gun or 8mm MG
    No. Produced – 3,800 (approx.)

For further basic info, you can start with Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_FT

Candidate #11 - Char 2C (France)

Service Entry – 1921
    Weight – 69 metric tons
    Top Speed – 15 km/h (9.3 mph)
    Main Armament – 75mm gun
    No. Produced – 10

For further basic info, you can start with Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_2C

Consider the criteria with care! You decide!

Renault FT-17 (France)
    88.76%
    Char 2C (France)
    11.24%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 26 Jul 14, 02:40.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Renault FT-17
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

FT-17 without too much of a doubt.

And I realized I think I missed one or two polls in Round 1...forgot the polls closed the 26th here instead of the end of the month! Oh well. At least round 2 is up!
      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

France wins this round
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
          FT-17 without too much of a doubt.

And I realized I think I missed one or two polls in Round 1...forgot the polls closed the 26th here instead of the end of the month! Oh well. At least round 2 is up!
          Several days before Round 1 closed, I checked and found a few members who gave the impression of wanting to vote in all 32 polls but had in fact missed anything from a couple to half a dozen. I offered to check this for anyone who wasn't sure and as a result, I did have one member who asked me to look and I found (IIRC) 4 polls he had missed. Sure, he could have searched through all the polls himself but it was easier to ask me as I am recording the results of every round on an Excel spreadsheet, so I can quickly see all the votes on a single page.

Of course, there are also some members who don't want to vote in every single poll and that's perfectly OK; but it's usually obvious to me as most of those members will vote in maybe half or less than half. And I don't think anyone would accidentally miss half or more than half of the polls.
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Renault FT-17 (France)

Comment

The Renault is more influential.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The FT-17. Surely a strong contender for the ultimate prize.
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                  Several days before Round 1 closed, I checked and found a few members who gave the impression of wanting to vote in all 32 polls but had in fact missed anything from a couple to half a dozen.
                  Indeed I intended to vote in all. I know I missed one.
                  "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Not such an easy choice. The Char 2 had many features, big gun, heavy armor, interwoven wheels, that would be seen later. Still, I had to go Renault.
                    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

I voted FT-17. It set the precedent of what a modern tank should look like.

The 2C is what you got if you wanted to place a battleship on top of a tractor!

Comment

Renault FT-17 (France)

Comment

The FT 17 was really the world's first "modern" tank and has all the features of virtually every successful tank that has been built since.

Comment

that's a no brainer...
                            One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

The Ft-17 was much more influential in the end than the 'Landship' it has been pitted against in this poll.

No offence to the Char. it is a design my steampunk oriented mind can appreciate, but it didn't carry many elements forward into later generations.
                              BoRG
                              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X