This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
    Vote now or forever hold your cleaning rod.
    Absolutely.

Folks, I am about to cast my own vote - a little late - but better late than never.

As of this post, there are now only 11 hours left to vote in the Final for this campaign!

If you've been a bit like me and left it late, better move pretty quick!!!

Countdown hours left: 0
    Last edited by panther3485; 18 Oct 14, 10:27.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
      Yet to be decided.
      I thought that seeing it's the 100th anniversary of the Great War which in turn spawned the first ever tank regiment, that this design may be appropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Tank_Regiment

http://www.royaltankregiment.com/en-GB/regcolours.aspx

Or similarly this:

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
        I thought that seeing it's the 100th anniversary of the Great War which in turn spawned the first ever tank regiment, that this design may be appropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Tank_Regiment

http://www.royaltankregiment.com/en-GB/regcolours.aspx

Or similarly this:

Paul
        Suggestions from members can be considered, naturally. One suggestion already put forward is that we should somehow incorporate the silhouette of the tournament winner, if feasible.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Yeah. At least the badge then shows what the tourney was about...

posted from mobile
          Last edited by Hanov; 18 Oct 14, 11:59.
          One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

Winner

Announcing the winning tank
            In the Most Significant/Influential Tank tournament/campaign:

The Renault FT-17

Thanks to all members who participated, and helped to make this tournament a success.

Data on the voting, together with a list of all members eligible for the campaign ribbon are in the following post.

Comment

List of participating members who are eligible for the ribbon

Once again, thanks to all members who participated.

I would also like to thank the other staff members who helped me to get this thing up and running, and smoothed the way when I bumped into some difficulties in the early stages.

Over the course of six rounds, no less than 158 members cast a total of 5,722 votes. Of those 158 members, the following 84 are eligible for the campaign ribbon:

101combatvet
              2nd Rangers
              Achtung Baby
              AdrianE
              Afghanisdan
              andrewza
              Arnold J Rimmer
              Arthwys
              BELGRAVE
              broderickwells
              Capt AFB
              CAPT. JOE
              CarpeDiem
              cbo
              Checkertail20
              Crazy Dutch
              cst784
              Dan M
              DeltaOne
              Destroyer25
              Dibble201Bty
              DogDodger
              doubleD
              Duncan
              Erkki
              Freightshaker
              frisco17
              Galland
              GCoyote
              Gixxer86g
              Golani
              Gorque
              Half Pint John
              Hanov
              holly6
              jamse
              JBark
              johns624
              Jose50
              kurt tank 152
              lakechampainer
              lcm1
              Lokinar
              Major Sennef
              Marathag
              Marmat
              Menelaus
              Merkava188
              MetalDog
              Michele
              midaeu
              Mountain Man
              Nick the Noodle
              nikolas93TS
              panther3485
              Percy Coburg
              Persephone
              Phil Kost
              Post Captain
              Pruitt
              R. Evans
              Rale
              RichardS
              Rojik
              Salinator
              SeaDog48
              semperpietas
              sherlock
              Skoblin
              slick24
              smallvillekalel
              Stryker 19K30
              Super Six 4
              Surrey
              T. A. Gardner
              Terry Duncan
              The Exorcist
              The Ibis
              Trailboss49
              Tsar
              VieuxChat
              vikram72
              von Aicha
              warmoviebuff

Please note that the design of the ribbon has not yet been decided and some time may elapse before it is finalized and actually awarded, so please don't expect it to appear overnight!

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Last edited by panther3485; 18 Oct 14, 11:43.

Comment

P.S. - I don't think you should have used your vote to **** Nick off.
                John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Panther,

Thank you for leading all the hard work in getting this one done.
                  Thank you also to all your helpers.

A Pint for the Panther (Would that make a "Pinther"?)

Comment

I like the idea of incorporating the silhouette of the winner in the camapign ribbon.
                    When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.
                    ― Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      Announcing the winning tank
                      In the Most Significant/Influential Tank tournament/campaign:

The Renault FT-17

Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for putting this together!

Comment

• Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                        Vote now or forever hold your cleaning rod.
                        Last time I did that I got sent home from school!
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by JBark View Post

P.S. - I don't think you should have used your vote to **** Nick off.

The most important single element in deciding peoples votes here, which wasn't actually about the tanks per se was this:

The right pair were matched in the final. Neither were quite tanks as we now know them. The FT-17 was effectively a Tankette, and the Marks an assault gun in modern terminology. I personally believe that SPG's were of useful service beyond that of tankettes.

The only factor the FT's really bring to this poll is its design layout. However, this is of such importance that the FT's deserve to be in the final. The Marks also deserved to be here. They were the first tanks. Until the FT's being used middle of the last year of WW2, the were also the only useful tank. They proved that armoured warfare was possible, something the Saint-Chamond, Schneider and A7V could never have done. The Rhomboids were also the right tanks for trench warfare, ie for the war they were actually fighting in.

The FT's were most influential of the two in terms of future design.
                          The Marks were most significant in that they were first and worked well enough so that future designs were considered.

However, while the FT was the first tank with what is considered a modern layout, several latter designs included innovations that may have been at least as important. For example the 1923 Vickers Medium Mk 1, looked even more like a modern tank, and included a proper 3 man turret. It even had sloped and curved armour to deflect shot.

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            " ... However, while the FT was the first tank with what is considered a modern layout, several latter designs included innovations that may have been at least as important. For example the 1923 Vickers Medium Mk 1, looked even more like a modern tank, and included a proper 3 man turret. It even had sloped and curved armour to deflect shot.

As you and most participating members will no doubt recall, the Vickers Mediums Mk 1&2 (combined as a single candidate) were in this tournament. They didn't get past Round 1. Considering you and I both voted for the Christie mediums - which is what they were up against - do you believe now, upon reflection, that they should have gotten further than that? Do you think they should have made the Semi-Final even?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

The most important single element in deciding peoples votes here, which wasn't actually about the tanks per se was this:

Nick, I think you should give the people here more credit.
                              John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

• Originally posted by JBark View Post
                                Nick, I think you should give the people here more credit.
                                Most people have voted for what they consider the most I/S tank based on actual tank elements. It also has been obvious that a few have voted on other factors. However, these have not effected the final outcome, only the margin of the FT victory.

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                                As you and most participating members will no doubt recall, the Vickers Mediums Mk 1&2 (combined as a single candidate) were in this tournament. They didn't get past Round 1. Considering you and I both voted for the Christie mediums - which is what they were up against - do you believe now, upon reflection, that they should have gotten further than that? Do you think they should have made the Semi-Final even?
                                Now I do. Its been part of the learning curve .
                                Last edited by Nick the Noodle; 19 Oct 14, 04:58.
                                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X