Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction - Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by JBark View Post
    You voted against the Churchill? WTH?
    I think that the Tiger was more influential and significant than the Churchill. This is not a best tank thread after all.

    Today, if you ask the vast majority of people (who express an opinion) what was the best tank of WW2 they would state the Tiger, merely because, one, it is probably the only tank they have heard of, and two, it was the biggest and therefore the best. The myth remains that only rocket armed aircraft saved our apparently useless tanks. Democratically elected politicians listen to those who place them in power, ie the voters, and if the latter want bigger and better tanks, than more efficient ones, then so be it. Tales of 'Deathtraps' still abound to this day, despite actual evidence to the contrary, and that is why the West demands modern day 'Tigers' for its tank force.

    The legend that was the Tiger is more significant and influential imho than the actual realities concerning the Cat. Tigers were useful at Kursk and in some defensive battles, but otherwise proved a poor investment most of the time, especially in the form of the King Tiger. However,I would still actually place the Tiger above the Sherman for the same reasons, in fact above all WW2 tanks save the T-34.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by JBark View Post
      I'm going to assume you knew I was joking.
      With regard to Nick, you assume correctly but I could no longer resist the opportunity to point to one of a number of glaring errors/inaccuracies in the linked article. Especially as it relates to my own country. The poor quality of that article is a very illustrative and typical example of some of the crap that's out there.
      Last edited by panther3485; 11 Sep 14, 12:39.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by JBark View Post
        You voted against the Churchill? WTH?
        I know!!!

        I'm still not quite over that one even if I understand Nick's argument about the Tiger!

        But then, the poll is remains quite interesting, a nice for-the-moment hobby, and sometimes quite informative (Again! Kudos to Panther for putting it together ), even if it does not change much in the real realm of things.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          I think that the Tiger was more influential and significant than the Churchill. This is not a best tank thread after all.
          Just ribbing you.

          Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          The legend that was the Tiger is more significant and influential imho than the actual realities concerning the Cat. Tigers were useful at Kursk and in some defensive battles, but otherwise proved a poor investment most of the time, especially in the form of the King Tiger. However,I would still actually place the Tiger above the Sherman for the same reasons, in fact above all WW2 tanks save the T-34.
          I agree that the Tigers offered a tremendous psychological influence as well as a tactical contribution but I would not see this besting the strategic significance of either the T-34 or M4.
          John

          Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by JBark View Post
            " ... I agree that the Tigers offered a tremendous psychological influence as well as a tactical contribution but I would not see this besting the strategic significance of either the T-34 or M4."
            Agreed; I think both were more important than the Tiger tanks.
            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

            Comment


            • #66
              Less than 10 hours left!

              There are now less than 10 hours left to vote in Round 4!

              If you have been with us so far but have not yet voted in the current round, and would like to do so, you need to get a wiggle on and do it pretty quick!

              Round 5, the Semi-Final, will be starting this coming weekend.


              In this Semi-Final, the four most worthy tanks - as voted by 147 participating members of ACG up to this point - will face off to determine which two will be in the Final!
              Last edited by panther3485; 19 Sep 14, 22:41.
              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

              Comment


              • #67
                Glad you said something. I was so busy I almost forgot to vote!
                Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

                Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                  Glad you said something. I was so busy I almost forgot to vote!
                  I don't think you were the only one.
                  "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Round 5 (Semi-Final) Now Open!

                    Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                    There are now less than 48 hours left to vote in Round 4!

                    If you have been with us so far but have not yet voted in the current round, and would like to do so, you need to get a wiggle on and do it pretty quick!

                    Round 5, the Semi-Final, will be starting this coming weekend.


                    In this Semi-Final, the four most worthy tanks - as voted by 146 participating members of ACG up to this point - will face off to determine which two will be in the Final!

                    Round 5 - the Semi-Final - is now open!!!



                    Of these four tanks, which two will face each other in the final showdown?

                    It's all up to you guys!





                    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      And now we are at the Final Four of significant tanks.
                      “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                      ― Groucho Marx

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                        Round 5 - the Semi-Final - is now open!!!



                        Of these four tanks, which two will face each other in the final showdown?

                        It's all up to you guys!





                        Would it be of value to also have a showdown for 3rd & 4th place for the Finals?

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                          Would it be of value to also have a showdown for 3rd & 4th place for the Finals?
                          T-34 vs M4 has been done to death. This is a US forum so the M4 would win. I think the M4 was usually a better tank than the Soviet equivalent, but the T-34 should win that particular poll.
                          Last edited by Nick the Noodle; 21 Sep 14, 03:17.
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                            Would it be of value to also have a showdown for 3rd & 4th place for the Finals?
                            Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            T-34 vs M4 has been done to death. This is a US forum so the M4 would win. ... "
                            ... all of this is assuming, of course, that both the Mk I-V and the FT-17 will be the winners of this round. If the current voting trend continues, they will be; but at this very early stage I'm reluctant to say it's over until its really over.

                            And yes, Nick, T-34 vs M4 has been done to death as a "greatest/best tank" scenario. I don't think it's been done to death as "most significant/influential". That said, you may still be right about the probable outcome? I'm not sure, though.


                            Edit: That does give me an idea.
                            Once this tournament is completed, I guess there is nothing to stop us doing some 'snap polls' of pairings that we'd like to have seen, but didn't happen here. We could start with T-34 vs Sherman if there's enough support for the idea but it doesn't have to be those two by any means. The proviso being that whatever pairs we choose, any such polls should be based on most significant/influential; NOT "best" or "greatest".

                            Suggestions for other snap-poll matches will be taken.

                            Could be interesting, huh?
                            Last edited by panther3485; 21 Sep 14, 01:23.
                            "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                              Edit: That does give me an idea.
                              Once this tournament is completed, I guess there is nothing to stop us doing some 'snap polls' of pairings that we'd like to have seen, but didn't happen here. We could start with T-34 vs Sherman if there's enough support for the idea but it doesn't have to be those two by any means. The proviso being that whatever pairs we choose, any such polls should be based on most significant/influential; NOT "best" or "greatest".

                              Suggestions for other snap-poll matches will be taken.

                              Could be interesting, huh?
                              I would personally like to see a M4 vs T-55 poll. I know which would win, but I would like to know the actual reasons why people vote for their choice.
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                                I would personally like to see a M4 vs T-55 poll. I know which would win, but I would like to know the actual reasons why people vote for their choice.
                                At least we know that the best tank was (and still pretty formidable to this day) British of WWII design.

                                Paul
                                ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                                All human ills he can subdue,
                                Or with a bauble or medal
                                Can win mans heart for you;
                                And many a blessing know to stew
                                To make a megloamaniac bright;
                                Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                                The Pixie is a little shite.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X